PDA

View Full Version : Jersey City Police's "3% anti-government extremist movement"

Root
04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Jersey City police brass identify a pro-militia clique in the department and say they've been stopped | NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/04/jersey_city_police_brass_ident.html)

Jersey City police brass identify a pro-militia clique in the department and say they've been stopped

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Follow on Twitter
on April 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM, updated April 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Several members of Jersey City Police Department's Emergency Services Unit have been seen wearing patches showing allegiance to the anti-government extremist "three-percenter" movement.Ther Jersey Journal
A clique of officers who calls themselves “Three-Percenters” in the Jersey City Police Department’s Emergency Services Unit sprouted about two years ago, officials have told The Jersey Journal.

“They were separating themselves from the others in the unit and we put a stop to it immediately,” Jersey City Police Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach said.

The deputy chief said there were officers who were disciplined over the matter.

Three-percenters are an “anti-government extremist” movement that has grown since President Barack Obama took office, according to the Anti Defamation League, a nonprofit that combats what it believes to be anti-Semitism and bigotry.

The three-percent movement promotes the idea that the federal government is plotting to take away the rights of American citizens and must be resisted, the ADL says on its website.

The three-percenters apparently get their name from the notion that 3 percent of American colonists took up arms against the British crown during the Revolutionary War, according to the Three Percenter’s Club on Facebook, which has more than 17,500 followers.

“The (three-percenter) honors and is sworn to uphold and enforce the Constitution of the United States of America... (Three-percenters) are soldiers who have sworn to defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic,” the groups says on its “About” page.

Followers sometimes call themselves “Oath Keepers” and associate with self-described pro-militia “patriot” groups that support gun rights and “engage in groundless conspiracy theorizing,” including the idea that the Sept. 11, 2011, terrorist attacks were perpetrated by the federal government, according to the nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups.

It was not clear if the disciplined officers belonged to any particular three-percent group.

An anonymous letter sent to The Jersey Journal says that some ESU officers wore a patch saying “ONE OF THE 3 %” and the letter includes a picture of a patch. The letter also says some official ESU patches were altered by adding “3%” to them. The letter also includes a picture of such a patch.

Finally, the letter includes a patch with the image of a skull and says ESU officers wore the skull patch and Three-Percenters patches while on patrol.

Nalbach confirmed that officers were wearing a patch and said “It was removed because we don’t allow unofficial patches.”

The letter also includes an image of a Three-Percenters flag and said it was hung in the ESU gym. Nalbach said he was not aware of a flag.

The Star Ledger folks. I'm guessing there's a bunch of cops in Jersey City who don't get how they infringe the constitution daily. Oh well. I guess I'm glad they claim to be part of the Oathkeeper principles...

kathy88
04-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Add Oathkeepers to the list of extremist groups. SMFH.

Spikender
04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Certainly doesn't surprise me that when there are actually law enforcement officers who want to actually uphold the Constitution and our liberties, they are quickly shunned as extremists.

Man, it's almost like cops don't like our Constitution or the freedoms that we inherently have! Who woulda thunk it?

kathy88
04-29-2013, 09:55 AM
I wish those guys would go on a fullout country wide tour talking about what happened to them for wanting to protect civil liberties.

phill4paul
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
And why is it,again, that there can be no "good" cops?

AGRP
04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
How is asserting a required oath to a government document anti-government?

kathy88
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM

Ding ding ding. No more calls, folks. We have a winner.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Because upholding the constitution restricts the government, hence it is anti-government, but not the way they're spinning it.

VoluntaryAmerican
04-29-2013, 10:18 AM
My Dad told me that the 3% in NJ has been around since the 90's. He never joined, but hung out with a bunch of them back then.

Czolgosz
04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Why be in the 3% if you only take a step back when the line changes?

tod evans
04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
The deputy chief said there were officers who were disciplined over the matter.

Three-percenters are an “anti-government extremist” movement that has grown since President Barack Obama took office, according to the Anti Defamation League, a nonprofit that combats what it believes to be anti-Semitism and bigotry.

Okay so the ADL managed to get letters placed in some cops files because the cops claimed to be patriots....

Doesn't ol' Morris Dees understand that without the cooperation of both MSM and the "Just-Us" department his little house of cards will come crashing down?

Anti Federalist
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
And why is it,again, that there can be no "good" cops?

Was just coming in here to say that.

Make no mistake...orders will be followed.

Carson
04-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I saw this story on break at work.

If this story is as it claims it is good news to know they are there. Even without their patches they are still there but maybe safer.

I suppose it is safe to assume they walk among us in every occupation.

I too think it odd they would be thought of as something less than someone that took their oath of office seriously. Here is an example of what an oath may read like.

Loyalty Oath

} S.S.
I, ________________________________, do solemnly
swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the
Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of
the State of California against all enemies, foreign and
domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the
Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of
California; that I take this obligation freely, without any
mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will
well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am
about to enter.
Witness my hand this _______ day of __________________, _______.
Day Month
COUNTY OF SAN MATEO

We really need to be careful when we fire off things such as comments nowadays. There are good guys everywhere.

P.S. Or title a thread?

Carson
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Another oath of office.

The Oath: “I swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland and support the Constitution and laws thereof; and that I will, to the best of my skill and judgment diligently and faithfully, without partiality or prejudice, execute the office of police officer according to the Constitution and laws of this State.”

http://www.greenbeltmd.gov/police/oath_of_office.htm

tod evans
04-30-2013, 02:34 AM
If this story is as it claims it is good news to know they are there. Even without their patches they are still there but maybe safer.

I suppose it is safe to assume they walk among us in every occupation.

We really need to be careful when we fire off things such as comments nowadays. There are good guys everywhere.

I trust the members of the enforcer class as far as I can drop-kick an anvil!

Granted there may be some good ones out there but I can't bring myself to give them the benefit of the doubt...They'll have to prove it before I believe.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Another oath of office.

The Oath: “I swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland and support the Constitution and laws thereof; and that I will, to the best of my skill and judgment diligently and faithfully, without partiality or prejudice, execute the office of police officer according to the Constitution and laws of this State.”

http://www.greenbeltmd.gov/police/oath_of_office.htm

That's laughable... they're brought into the job with their first giant lie.

I'm not even sure I believe this "news story" at all. It's writing on the wall, either way.

Root
04-30-2013, 06:20 AM
I question why the press choose yesterday to publish a news story that is two years old.

nobody's_hero
04-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Oh, if I only had a penny for every time the Anti-Defamation League defames someone.

WM_in_MO
04-30-2013, 06:52 AM
I feel like getting a 3% patch just to show solidarity...

nobody's_hero
04-30-2013, 06:53 AM
I question why the press choose yesterday to publish a news story that is two years old.

Gotta spread it out so that the people have enough time to almost forget about it, but not so close together that they grow bored and ignore it.

AuH20
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Was just coming in here to say that.

Make no mistake...orders will be followed.

But they are running out of carrots to put on the sticks. Eventually, the game comes to a crashing halt.