PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania judge gets 28 years in 'kids for cash' case (from 2011)

sailingaway
04-28-2013, 11:38 PM
SCRANTON, Pa. — A longtime judge has been ordered to spend nearly three decades in prison for his role in a massive juvenile justice bribery scandal that prompted the state's high court to toss thousands of convictions.

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella Jr. was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in federal prison for taking $1 million in bribes from the builder of a pair of juvenile detention centers in a case that became known as "kids-for-cash."

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Federal prosecutors accused Ciavarella and a second judge, Michael Conahan, of taking more than $2 million in bribes from the builder of the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities' co-owner.

Ciavarella, known for his harsh and autocratic courtroom demeanor, filled the beds of the private lockups with children as young as 10, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes.

The judge remained defiant after his arrest, insisting the payments were legal and denying he incarcerated youths for money.

The jury returned a mixed verdict following a February trial, convicting him of 12 counts, including racketeering and conspiracy, and acquitting him of 27 counts, including extortion. The guilty verdicts related to a payment of $997,600 from the builder.

Conahan, meanwhile, pleaded guilty last year and awaits sentencing.

'I was completely destroyed'

Hillary Transue did not have an attorney, nor was she told of her right to one, when she appeared in Ciavarella’s courtroom in 2007 for building a MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal.

Her mother, Laurene Transue, worked for 16 years in the child services department of another county and said she was certain Hillary would get a slap on the wrist. Instead, Ciavarella sentenced her to three months; she got out after a month, with help from a lawyer.

Hillary Transue, who was sentenced to a wilderness camp for building a spoof MySpace page that lampooned her assistant principal, poses in White Haven, Pa., Friday, Feb. 6, 2009.

"I felt so disgraced for a while, like, what do people think of me now?' Hillary said after being released.

Laurene Transue said Ciavarella "was playing God. And not only was he doing that, he was getting money for it. He was betraying the trust put in him to do what is best for children.”

more: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44105072/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/pennsylvania-judge-gets-years-kids-cash-case/#.UX4C7aK87To

bolil
04-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Meh, any thing less than a high velocity lead meal is more than this piece of shit deserves. I hope he gets __________, over and over again.

tangent4ronpaul
04-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Where are the charges against the builders of the detention facilities that bribed these judges?

-t

Sola_Fide
04-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Where are the charges against the builders of the detention facilities that bribed these judges?

-t

Good question.

bolil
04-29-2013, 12:00 AM

-t

The charge, that I would lobby, is contempt of humanity. Punishable by __________... be creative.

J_White
04-29-2013, 12:06 AM
"child care detention center" ?
does not compute ..

kcchiefs6465
04-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Good.

Weston White
04-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Lampooning school staff on a Webpage? I am very curious on what the criminal charge for that is? I fail to see how that could be anything more than a civil issue.

Additionally, the parents should file suit against the school system for even making a legal issue out of it to begin with; especially, now that the juvenile has apparently been vindicated, by the court’s malice.

tod evans
04-29-2013, 03:51 AM

-t

Absolutely!

Don't forget the other players in this sick game too, the CPS employees, the prosecutors, even the clerks!

This guy was/is evil but he wasn't acting alone!

devil21
04-29-2013, 04:47 AM
Judges were the high (but not too high) profile scapegoats. A lot of people bought into this to make it work for that long and prosecutors knew this. You see the same story in many courts around the country but just not as egregious as this particular case.

tod evans
04-29-2013, 04:52 AM
Mere suspicion of impropriety should be enough to unseat a judge and disbar a prosecutor, the ability to keep their jobs shouldn't be contingent on criminal conviction.

I believe that our court system could work as it was intended.......

fisharmor
04-29-2013, 06:41 AM
It's already been pointed out that there are a lot of actors going unpunished for this.

The thing that I have trouble accepting is that so few people are willing to recognize it.
They're willing to throw one judge - who is obviously an asshole in the courtroom - to the wolves here.

Where's the outrage at the school system?
Where's the outrage at the prison system?
Where's the outrage at the busted legal system?

I just don't get it... it seems so bloody obvious that when you create a situation where people aren't held accountable for wrongdoing, you're encouraging wrongdoing.
It also seems so obvious that these two judges are getting sacrificed to keep the public from asking too many questions. Let's just crucify two guys, and reinforce the notion that if we have the right people in those chairs, everything will turn out ok.

Only it doesn't. It always goes down like this. The base salary of these people is criminal... and then you add millions in bribes on top of it?
These judges were acting like human beings. This is what human beings do: they whore themselves for money.
The system wants us to pay attention to these judges... what they did is natural and occurs frequently, and is also a gigantic distraction.

HOLLYWOOD
04-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Judges receive full pension for life... betcha this guy will still be collecting taxpayer cash until he dies. It should go to the 4000 victims for the next 28 years.

Americans have been zombized, there's such a lack of critical thinking too. Exactly what government loves, believing everything the government tells you and roll over when you're told too.

Next is putting the racketeering/bribery/accessory prison profiteers in their very own prison cells.

tod evans
04-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Next is putting the racketeering/bribery/accessory prison profiteers in their very own prison cells.

You're way to nice, I'd vie for public disembowelment...

phill4paul
04-29-2013, 08:24 AM
They said they had to toss 4,000 convictions. I wonder what the total time for all these cases came to and if it exceeded 28 years?

Lucille
04-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Ciavarella, known for his harsh and autocratic courtroom demeanor, filled the beds of the private lockups with children as young as 10, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes.

:( Though, he wouldn't have been in a position to do that if not for the politicians (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/stop-locking-up-so-many-kids/), and the sickening for-profit prison system.

However it is not only drug use, burglary, and curfew violations that are seeing American children being put in front of judges. In Texas, where in some schools police patrol schools, some children have been ordered to court for not tucking in their shirt or for “Class C” misdemeanors such as truancy.

Our court system was not designed for children who write on their desks or swear in class. Police should not be doing what has traditionally been the remit of teachers and parents. It is very worrying for children to be familiarized with police authority at such a young age in a setting such as a school.

Politicians in this country are betraying America’s children in so many ways. A failing education system, growing government debt, wars abroad, and the increase in surveillance are the legacy America’s children can look forward to. The least we can do is not lock so many of them up, especially when other countries have demonstrated that there are alternatives.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
He's not doing enough time. If he only went to jail for 1 week per child and it is indeed 4000, that's still about 76 years he should be serving. If any of us kidnapped a child for 5 minutes, we'd be doing MONTHS in prison.

Quark
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
He came to my high school once, threatening to send kids to juvenile detention for school fights. I'm glad he got what he deserved.

surf
04-29-2013, 05:25 PM
not nearly enough but far more than I expected.

I don't condone this action, but it would not seem inappropriate for this gentleman #$!^& to become several inmates' bitch.

MikeStanart
04-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Not enough. Those who would enslave others deserve far worse.

Henry Rogue
04-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Imprisoning someone for money, could it be called slavery? And isn't slavery a crime?

osan
04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Lampooning school staff on a Webpage? I am very curious on what the criminal charge for that is? I fail to see how that could be anything more than a civil issue.

Hence the notion of "corruption" takes center stage.

His sphincter needs endless exercise for the coming 28 years. The bastard will be 90 by the time he is to get out... barring early release.

Make your bed, now lie in it.

Weston White
04-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Hence the notion of "corruption" takes center stage.

His sphincter needs endless exercise for the coming 28 years. The bastard will be 90 by the time he is to get out... barring early release.

Make your bed, now lie in it.

Just watch full governor's pardon just as soon as this entire thing dies down.