PDA

View Full Version : •Half (50%) of Christian young adults favor the legalization of marijuana

Origanalist
04-27-2013, 09:47 PM
47% 65 and older say they aren't sure

Survey | General Public, Christian Young Adults Divided on Marijuana Legalization

Americans are roughly divided on whether marijuana use should be legal. Forty-five percent of Americans favor making the use of marijuana legal, while 49% are opposed. There are significant divisions by political and religious affiliation.
•Less than 3-in-10 (29%) white evangelical Protestants, 40% of Catholics, and 40% of minority Christians favor making the use of marijuana legal. Nearly half (49%) of white mainline Protestants favor making the use of marijuana legal, while 45% are opposed. By contrast, nearly two-thirds (66%) of religiously unaffiliated Americans favor making marijuana legal.
•Democrats (54%) and independents (51%) are much more likely than Republicans (25%) to favor making the use of marijuana legal.
•Non-Hispanic white (47%) and black (48%) Americans are significantly more likely to support marijuana legalization than Hispanic Americans (34%).
•Young adults (age 18-29) are more likely than middle-aged Americans (age 50-64) or seniors (65 and older) to favor the legalization of marijuana (54%, 45%, and 28% respectively).
•Half (50%) of Christian young adults favor the legalization of marijuana, while 44% are opposed. By contrast, approximately 1-in-5 (22%) Christian seniors favor making the use of marijuana legal.

http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Research-Page-Graphic.jpg

The experience of trying marijuana has a strong influence on attitudes about legalization. Nearly two-thirds (65%) of Americans who report they have ever tried marijuana support legalizing marijuana, while an identical number (65%) of Americans who report that they have not tried marijuana oppose its legalization.

There is considerably more support for legalizing marijuana if it is to be used for medical purposes. Most Americans (63%) who oppose the general legalization of marijuana nonetheless favor making marijuana legal to treat certain medical conditions if prescribed by a doctor. In addition to the 45% of Americans who favor the general legalization of marijuana, 35% of Americans say they would favor the legalization of medical marijuana, compared to less than 1-in-5 (19%) who oppose the legalization of medical marijuana. Majorities of all major religious groups and political parties favor the legalization of medical marijuana.

More than 4-in-10 (42%) Americans report having tried marijuana at some point in their lives, while about 6-in-10 (57%) say they have never tried marijuana.
•There are significant religious differences in usage of marijuana. Catholics (33%) are the only religious group that is significantly less likely than the general public to report having tried marijuana. About 4-in-10 white evangelical Protestants (40%) and white mainline Protestants (44%), along with a majorities of minority Christians (52%) and religiously unaffiliated Americans (54%) report having tried marijuana at some point in their lives.
•Democrats (48%) are significantly more likely than Republicans (36%) to say they have tried marijuana.
•Men (49%) are more likely than women (35%) to report having ever used marijuana.
•Young adults (43%) and middle-aged Americans (48%) are approximately three times more likely than seniors (15%) to report having tried marijuana.
•More than 4-in-10 (45%) Christian young adults report that they have tried marijuana, compared to 13% of Christian seniors.
•Black Americans (52%) are more likely than both white non-Hispanic Americans (43%) and Hispanic Americans (33%) to report having tried marijuana.

Nearly half (49%) of Americans believe that using marijuana is morally acceptable, while 4-in-10 (40%) say that marijuana use is morally wrong.
•There are significant differences of opinion among religious groups. Nearly 6-in-10 (58%) white evangelical Protestants and half (50%) of minority Christians believe that using marijuana is morally wrong. By contrast, majority (58%) white mainline Protestants and two-thirds (67%) of religiously unaffiliated Americans say marijuana use is morally acceptable. Catholics are evenly divided in their views about the morality of using marijuana: 46% say it is morally acceptable, and 41% say it is morally wrong.
•A majority (52%) of Christian young adults agree that using marijuana is morally acceptable, compared to one-quarter (25%) of Christian seniors.
•Democrats and Republicans have virtually opposite moral judgments about the use of marijuana. Fifty-seven percent of Democrats say marijuana use is morally acceptable, while 56% of Republicans say it is morally wrong.
•Young adults (56%) are nearly twice as likely as seniors (30%) to say that using marijuana is morally acceptable.
•Americans living in the West (56%) are substantially more likely than Americans living in the South (43%) to say using marijuana is morally acceptable.

Fewer Americans believe that using marijuana constitutes a sin or that it is prohibited by the Bible.
•Less than 1-in-4 (23%) Americans believe using marijuana is a sin, while 70% disagree. However, white evangelical Protestants are more divided than any other religious group: 40% say using marijuana is a sin, while 48% say it is not.
•One-in-five (20%) Americans, including nearly 3-in-10 (29%) white evangelical Protestants, believe that the Bible prohibits marijuana use.

More than one-third (35%) of Americans believe that new laws legalizing the usage of marijuana are a sign of the moral decline of America. Six-in-ten (60%) Americans disagree.
•Nearly 6-in-10 (58%) white evangelical Protestants believe that new laws legalizing the use of marijuana are a sign of America’s moral decline, compared to 36% of white mainline Protestants, 32% of Catholics, and 16% of religiously unaffiliated Americans.
•Only 3-in-10 (30%) Christian young adults believe that new laws legalizing the use of marijuana are a sign of America’s moral decline, while two-thirds (67%) disagree. By contrast, a majority (54%) of Christian seniors believe that new laws legalizing the use of marijuana are a sign of America’s moral decline.
•Republicans (53%) are twice as likely as Democrats (26%) to believe that new laws legalizing marijuana are a sign of America’s moral decline. Nearly 7-in-10 (69%) Democrats disagree
http://publicreligion.org/research/2013/04/april-2013-prri-rns-survey/

Survey here http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/PRRI-RNS-April-2013-TOPLINE.pdf

tod evans
04-28-2013, 03:35 AM
I "tried" it for well over 20 yrs and am pro-weed...

Legislating from a base of ignorance, the American way when it comes to all drug laws..:mad:

KrokHead
04-28-2013, 06:06 AM
If everyone's smoking it everyone will be for it. Blows my mind that we want things most of us do everyday to be illegal.

talkingpointes
04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
So by the way. I want to ask some this. When you guys see these charts do you notice anyone born before the 60's is so propagandized - there is absolutely no changing their opinions, fact, emotion, and logic. Every year they poll old people and every year is the same. Seriously these are the people that grew up during the "golden times" but even the most republican 60yr old is like a communistic libertine compared to libertarians, it's pretty sad.

I have to admit propaganda CAN last a lifetime if done often enough, it doesn't even have to be good or remotely true.

pcosmar
04-28-2013, 07:44 AM
I have to admit propaganda CAN last a lifetime if done often enough, it doesn't even have to be good or remotely true.

I have met people that think "Reefer Madness" was a serious and honest documentary.
Sad, but true.

Origanalist
04-28-2013, 07:51 AM
So by the way. I want to ask some this. When you guys see these charts do you notice anyone born before the 60's is so propagandized - there is absolutely no changing their opinions, fact, emotion, and logic. Every year they poll old people and every year is the same. Seriously these are the people that grew up during the "golden times" but even the most republican 60yr old is like a communistic libertine compared to libertarians, it's pretty sad.

Well, I was born before the 60's. :) (Maybe you meant grew up before the 60's?)

Origanalist
04-28-2013, 07:52 AM
I have met people that think "Reefer Madness" was a serious and honest documentary.
Sad, but true.

That would be good entertainment.

tod evans
04-28-2013, 08:35 AM
notice anyone born before the 60's is so propagandized -

Ya' might want to move back 2 generations.....

speciallyblend
04-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Ya' might want to move back 2 generations.....

couldn't resist posting this sincerely ponytail wing of the colorado gop,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0fJ0)

BuddyRey
04-28-2013, 04:17 PM
"Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.'" - Genesis 1:29

Czolgosz
04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Turn the boner for weed into a boner for freedom. Can't say that I care about these single issue causes, especially one as overplayed as Mary K.

Christian Liberty
04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I defy a lot of statistics here...

I'm an Evangelical Protestant, attend a Conservative Baptist church, am the son of a pastor, have never tried marijuana, do not have anyone in my immediate family who has ever tried marijuana, and I believe that it, along with every other drug, should be legalized.

I'm probably really abnormal with all that...

paulbot24
04-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Does anybody else get the feeling that they are checking about every few months to see if Americans will change their mind on this? So far they don't care about the "will of the voters" so maybe if they keep polling, the people will change their minds and they'll get the results they are looking for. Or maybe it is just me....:D

Christian Liberty
04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
I defy a lot of statistics here...

I'm an Evangelical Protestant, attend a Conservative Baptist church, am the son of a pastor, have never tried marijuana, do not have anyone in my immediate family who has ever tried marijuana, and I believe that it, along with every other drug, should be legalized.

I'm probably really abnormal with all that...

Since it was mentioned in a +rep comment...

I have no INTEREST in smoking ANYTHING.

I'm just not selfish enough to want to punish those who do just because I don't want to... or maybe I'm too selfish and don't want to pay for the prison cell... That and I respect the NAP.

liberty2897
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Too much momentum now to stop it now.. Freedom will start to burn like brushfires across the land...

http://www.people-press.org/2013/04/04/majority-now-supports-legalizing-marijuana/
http://www.people-press.org/files/2013/04/4-4-13-1.png

speciallyblend
04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Turn the boner for weed into a boner for freedom. Can't say that I care about these single issue causes, especially one as overplayed as Mary K.
your boner is below the marijuana issue. This is not a single issue freedom is directly tied to legal marijuana and hemp. It is beyond marijuana and always has been. Hasn't stopped many from smoking marijuana when it was illegal. A majority of marijuana smokers know it was never about marijuana. It has always been about hemp/raw materials. When marijuana was made illegal there was an estimated 20,000 marijuana smokers. I suggest you grab some tissue and research hemp and dupont and why marijuana was made illegal. You might get a boner!

EBounding
04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I can't believe this didn't persuade the kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYXZ0qZZEA

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Well, I was born before the 60's. :) (Maybe you meant grew up before the 60's?)
Coulda fooled me! You have a sense of humor at least 20 years younger than you. ;) :D

paulbot24
04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I can't believe this didn't persuade the kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTYXZ0qZZEA

Wow. I remember this video from my after school cartoon watching days. I hope that kid wasn't charging much for those joints. They look like toothpicks.

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Wow. I remember this video from my after school cartoon watching days. I hope that kid wasn't charging much for those joints. They look like toothpicks.
LOLZ...just watched it, and I remember that too. Late 80s/early 90s, IIRC.

RM918
04-28-2013, 06:16 PM
I've no interest in pot and find being around my friends when they're stoned incredibly annoying, but there's nothing rational keeping it illegal. Only a tiny minority of people who actually want to smoke it are stopped by the laws. The chief argument I hear is that if it's made legal, people will equate legal as meaning it's ok, because I guess some people's moral compass is entirely dictated by the government, and so tons of people will try it and get hooked and then....the apocalypse? Usually ends there.