PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Indiana wants to make exposing animal abuse illegal.

Constitutional Paulicy
04-27-2013, 07:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=logsVP2rRBY&feature=youtube_gdata

The state of Indiana is fighting to make it a crime to secretly record the practices of businesses and share the footage with the intent to put the company in a bad light. Despite the numerous cases of video showcasing animal mistreatment on farms being leaked to the media, state lawmakers are putting a controversial "ag-gag" bill back on the table to protect these establishments . RT's Margaret Howell explains the proposed legislation.

AFPVet
04-27-2013, 10:33 AM
My state has a very powerful farm lobby. Even though a small percentage of farms (large factory farms) are the ones doing this, it makes all farming operations look bad. That's why they did this. It's not right for animal cruelty to exist, but it's also not right to blame all farms. Most of the local farms in my state care for their animals very well. The small number of large scale factory farms doing this should be investigated and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

davesxj
04-27-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKaE82Ls4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Similar bill in TN.

ETA: I recently became aware of Tyson's influence over Arkansas politicians, especially the Clinton's.

oyarde
04-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Why would anyone think it is OK to go on private property and secretly record something and release it ?

Zarn Solen
04-27-2013, 11:57 AM
If you want to see animal abuse, go to a PETA 'shelter.' You'll see a lot more there than a farm.

Cleaner44
04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
It seems odd to me that nobody would tolerate abusing dogs and yet it is supposed to be acceptable if we eat the animal. Maybe Mike Vick should have claimed they were a dog farm running competition for the best food.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Kregisen
04-27-2013, 12:28 PM
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

I don't agree all animals are equal.

Tod
04-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Why would anyone think it is OK to go on private property and secretly record something and release it ?

In Ohio, there was a case of an animal rights activist getting a job on a farm and then secretly filming abuse that he saw.

Are you suggesting that while whistleblowing in the public sector is okay, it is improper in the private sector?

oyarde
04-27-2013, 01:04 PM
In Ohio, there was a case of an animal rights activist getting a job on a farm and then secretly filming abuse that he saw.

Are you suggesting that while whistleblowing in the public sector is okay, it is improper in the private sector?

No really suggesting anything, never gave it much thought. Public sector is tax funded, property of the people as far as I am concerned, my farm , while animals are treated well , is not up for others opinions .

oyarde
04-27-2013, 01:07 PM
And, :) , there will be no video taping on my land .

oyarde
04-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I guess if any error is made and it is in the right direction for private property , I should not be opposed to that .....

oyarde
04-27-2013, 01:11 PM
You cannot legislate morality , this pertains to animals as well I imagine .

Tod
04-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Abuse on a number of Ohio farms was documented not too long ago (warning very graphic)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTkM1OHFQg&feature=player_embedded#!

Does anyone here honestly believe that a farmer should be allowed to do this to his animals?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/conklin-dairy-farms-video_n_589826.html

ClydeCoulter
04-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Abuse on a number of Ohio farms was documented not too long ago (warning very graphic)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTkM1OHFQg&feature=player_embedded#!

Does anyone here honestly believe that a farmer should be allowed to do this to his animals?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/conklin-dairy-farms-video_n_589826.html

I'm not going to watch that. I saw a video (similar?) some time back, and it disgusts me.
I have cattle, they have lots of pasture and are taken care of. It's hard enough taking one of them to the slaughter house already. I hate it when people are abusive to any living thing.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-27-2013, 02:04 PM

It's not. But without video, such things would never be exposed. I'm oddly sympathetic to this issue, even though I agree with you on that point.

The thing is... whistle blowers typically put themselves on the line anyway. How many things do we know about because someone was secretly recording without permission?

Antischism
04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
I imagine this is one of those topics where people will be conflicted due to their distaste for animal rights activists, and a taste for animal meat. There's also the issue of private property, of course.

I love beef and chicken just as much as I love plants. However, animals destined to become food should absolutely not be mistreated or abused while they're alive. They should be fed and taken care of properly, and I view any sort of abuse as criminal. Whistle blowers, whether on private or public land/companies, should be applauded for revealing this sort of cruelty. People need to know the practices that go on in these farms so they can decide whether or not they want to support them by buying the meat that's being supplied.

Ultimately, I feel like this issue comes down to how you view animals. Some don't give a fuck and view animals as nothing more than a potential meal, others see them as living beings like you or I. Then, others like myself, are kind of in the middle.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
I imagine this is one of those topics where people will be conflicted due to their distaste for animal rights activists, and a taste for animal meat. There's also the issue of private property, of course.

I love beef and chicken just as much as I love plants. However, animals destined to become food should absolutely not be mistreated or abused while they're alive. They should be fed and taken care of properly, and I view any sort of abuse as criminal. Whistle blowers, whether on private or public land/companies, should be applauded for revealing this sort of cruelty. People need to know the practices that go on in these farms so they can decide whether or not they want to support them by buying the meat that's being supplied.

Ultimately, I feel like this issue comes down to how you view animals. Some don't give a fuck and view animals as nothing more than a potential meal, others see them as living beings like you or I. Then, others like myself, are kind of in the middle.

As I understand it (and I'm not claiming a better understanding than you), it is more about recording on private property without permission... exposing trade secrets, etc. I love meat. But if things are considered "abuse" in public, then they are also "abuse" in private.

davesxj
04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
While being all for property rights, it is not my job to subsidize one's ability to screen and trust those who get invited to a property. If the issue is with permission to be on the property at all, there are trespass laws. If the issue is damage to reputation due to videotaping, civil action can be pursued. If I were a judge, I would have a hard time being convinced that it was the behavior of videotaping rather than the actions being taped that were the cause of losses. That is a risk one takes when behaving in ways most people find abhorrent. Especially when it is toward animals that are one's livelihood.

I believe the best way to stop animal cruelty is not State prohibition, rather public humility. An "ag-gag" protects the former, while hampering the latter.

Besides when animals are treated poorly while being harvested their quality is tainted. I don't want to purchase animal food products that have been abused. As mentioned above. If you love eating animals and their products, you should love the animals themselves.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the only right to privacy one should expect and that I'm willing to pay for its defense is from actors of the State . I say this because the State in theory acts on my behalf, therefor it should be my duty to make sure it does no harm. The populace at large isn't my responsibility. It's up to the individual on how well protected oneself is going to be against its surveillance.

Antischism
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
As I understand it (and I'm not claiming a better understanding than you), it is more about recording on private property without permission... exposing trade secrets, etc. I love meat. But if things are considered "abuse" in public, then they are also "abuse" in private.

I'm definitely in agreement with that. I know many will make a case for private property rights, but like you said, abuse in public and private spaces is still abuse. The only difference is one is protected abuse while the other is not. Since I obviously don't want to grow the surveillance state, the next best thing is having whistle blowers expose these abuses.

oyarde
04-28-2013, 02:58 PM
I do not think animals should be abused, but there is no way to stop it . People who are concerned probably already give some thought to where food comes from .For those that have the resources.....