PDA

View Full Version : Study: There may not be a shortage of American STEM graduates after all

madengr
04-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Well shucks, anybody in the field could have told them that. Of course that will not prevent the H1-B increase to 180k.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/study-there-may-not-be-a-shortage-of-american-stem-graduates-after-all/2013/04/24/66099962-acea-11e2-a8b9-2a63d75b5459_story.html

If there’s one thing that everyone can agree on in Washington, it’s that the country has a woeful shortage of workers trained in science, technology, engineering and math — what’s referred to as STEM.

President Obama has said that improving STEM education is one of his top priorities. Chief executives regularly come through Washington complaining that they can’t find qualified American workers for openings at their firms that require a science background. And armed with this argument in the debate over immigration policy, lobbyists are pushing hard for more temporary work visas, known as H-1Bs, which they say are needed to make up for the lack of Americans with STEM skills.

But not everyone agrees. A study released Wednesday by the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute reinforces what a number of researchers have come to believe: that the STEM worker shortage is a myth.

The EPI study found that the United States has “more than a sufficient supply of workers available to work in STEM occupations.” Basic dynamics of supply and demand would dictate that if there were a domestic labor shortage, wages should have risen. Instead, researchers found, they’ve been flat, with many Americans holding STEM degrees unable to enter the field and a sharply higher share of foreign workers taking jobs in the information technology industry. (IT jobs make up 59 percent of the STEM workforce, according to the study.)

The answer to whether there is a shortage of such workers has important ramifications for the immigration bill. If it exists, then there’s an urgency that justifies allowing companies to bring more foreign workers into the country, usually on a short-term H-1B visa. But those who oppose such a policy argue that companies want more of these visas mainly because H-1B workers are paid an estimated 20 percent less than their American counterparts. Why allow these companies to hire more foreign workers for less, the critics argue, when there are plenty of Americans who are ready to work?

The EPI study said that while the overall number of U.S. students who earn STEM degrees is small — a fact that many lawmakers and the news media have seized on — it’s more important to focus on what happens to these students after they graduate. According to the study, they have a surprisingly hard time finding work. Only half of the students graduating from college with a STEM degree are hired into a STEM job, the study said.

“Even in engineering,” the authors said, “U.S. colleges have historically produced about 50 percent more graduates than are hired into engineering jobs each year.”

The picture is not that bright for computer science students, either. “For computer science graduates employed one year after graduation . . . about half of those who took a job outside of IT say they did so because the career prospects were better elsewhere, and roughly a third because they couldn’t find a job in IT,” the study said.

While liberal arts graduates might be used to having to look for jobs with only tenuous connections to their majors, the researchers said this shouldn’t be the case for graduates with degrees attached to specific skills such as engineering.

The tech industry has said that it needs more H-1B visas in order to hire the “best and the brightest,” regardless of their citizenship. Yet the IT industry seems to have a surprisingly low bar for education. The study found that among IT workers, 36 percent do not have a four-year college degree. Among the 64 percent who do have diplomas, only 38 percent have a computer science or math degree.

The bipartisan immigration plan introduced last week by the so-called Gang of Eight senators would raise the number of H-1B visas, though it would limit the ability of outsourcing firms to have access to them. Tech companies such as Facebook and Microsoft have fought hard to distinguish themselves from these outsourcing companies, arguing that unlike firms such as Wipro, they’re looking for the best people, not just ones who will work for less.

But some worry that the more H-1Bs allowed into the system, the more domestic workers get crowded out, resulting in what no one appears to want: fewer American students seeing much promise in entering STEM fields.

brandon
04-26-2013, 06:36 PM
My own anecdotal evidence isn't worth much, but from my 5 years in the engineering field it seem we have just the right amount of workers. It doesn't take too long to find a qualified employee, and it's not that hard to find a new job either.

One thing I know for sure though, is it's entirely too easy to get through some engineering programs which means a lot of people are graduating that really aren't cut out for the industry. They struggle to find jobs, because employers can tell they don't have what it takes.

paulbot24
04-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Great! So if there is no shortage, does this mean we can return our focus on what kind of people our universities are churning out?

CPUd
04-26-2013, 09:11 PM
My own anecdotal evidence isn't worth much, but from my 5 years in the engineering field it seem we have just the right amount of workers. It doesn't take too long to find a qualified employee, and it's not that hard to find a new job either.

One thing I know for sure though, is it's entirely too easy to get through some engineering programs which means a lot of people are graduating that really aren't cut out for the industry. They struggle to find jobs, because employers can tell they don't have what it takes.

^^^ This.

Where you get your degree makes a difference. If you get a 4-yr degree in CS from a 100% online program at a for-profit school, you may have a hard time. I'm sure some exist, but I haven't seen any such programs that are ABET-accredited. Job interviews for software engineering are different than your typical interview experience. They may, during the interview, bring in a whiteboard and have you do something like implement an AVL tree. They will ask very specific questions that, unless you are like the guy in Good Will Hunting, you are only going to get from a rigorous program of study.

If you're at a traditional school that is predominantly STEM programs, you can probably still get a job somewhere before you graduate. Worst case scenario, you may have to be willing to relocate, and have no problems working for a defense contractor. There are some kids outside right now flying a drone they build for their class project; people from places like NAVSEA come out to the campuses this time of year looking for stuff like that.

silverhandorder
04-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I feel like once you get your first jobs everything else is easy. School did not prepare me at all for the workforce. I will admit that you can do a lot while in school and there is a right way and a wrong way to go through it. I went through school the wrong way. I blame the school completely for that. If the academic institutions were any good they would steer students into going through school the right way. Even better they would make it impossible to go through school the wrong way.

Let me clarify what I mean by right and wrong. The wrong way is to attend classes, passes them and that is it. Maybe to "some" extra activities outside of class. The right way is to on top of all that work, keep looking for entry positions in the field and to basically put in at least 20 hours or 2 full days on career development. If it means taking less classes or not doing as good in the class that is good. You can always explain away a shitty GPA if you have something to show for it.

Now the schools don't really give a shit otherwise they would both encourage and make it easier to go through school the right way. For one that should mean STEM classes would be primarily workshops. Textbooks and general knowledge should be catered to this type of environment. Students should not be allowed to advance past freshman until they start making inroads into their career. That being they should be required to show that they have internships, coops or to be working for a company in some capacity. All of this should be subjective. For something more immediate classes should be limited so that students have the extra time. Instead of full twelve to sixteen credits as expected it should be eight to ten. And credits should not be devalued for classes with labs and etc. Schools should network with companies to allow their students to work for these companies automatically once they are accepted into the school. Professors should be a lot more subjective to cater to individual needs.

Now none of this is being done and implementing such a system would mean completely scrapping what we have now. In other words this will never be done. Professors like not being able to do any works. Schools like getting money from students who are not capable of actually doing a good job. They also have no incentive at turning these students around. The students have no incentive at changing either. They are either there through their parents money or grants. 18-24 year old are more than happy to treat college as their social hang out place then a place of learning.

So yeah there is a lack of qualified people for STEM jobs. Fortunately there is nothing special about STEM jobs. Anyone can do these jobs. Most people do not like to admit it because of their ego. What companies do now is basically educate people for the job them selves and pay these people for the education. This is at the same time proof that free market works and also proof that nothing will change as far as government is concerned.

Right now I can get my current job anywhere in the world. I would only have to wait for employee turnover in the companies where I want to work. This is how education should work. CPUd illustrated this by describing the software engineer interview. Someone who has worked in a particular position would be able to answer any questions or at least show that they are capable of mastering the task.

bolil
04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Degree. LMFAO, unless you are doctor or an engineer LMFAO.

heavenlyboy34
04-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Degree. LMFAO, unless you are doctor or an engineer LMFAO.
Good luck getting a job in computer graphic design without a degree.

silverhandorder
04-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Well how is it give us the scoop.

Natural Citizen
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Great! So if there is no shortage, does this mean we can return our focus on what kind of people our universities are churning out?

The problem is that many of the universities run flunkout programs and then take advantage of the H1-B. MIT is a big one for that.

Natural Citizen
04-26-2013, 11:56 PM
S.T.E.M is so, so, so much more than IT and computer programming. Every time we hear about S.T.E.M. in general public discussion this is all we ever see discussed and it's all the way down at the bottom as far as the true scope of S.T.E.M. I know that people like to feel like they are these awsome engineers because they can scribble up some code or something or maybe network but it's so much more than that. Unless people are involved with the program hands on then consider discussion and sourcing very carefully. You have high school sophomores working on propulsion schematics, robotics and just a tremendous wealth of infrastructure. To frame it into an IT discussion is amateur on the part of some of these media outlets but they know that many of their following just aren't literate enough in the fields to see it. This has been discussed here many times.

CPUd
04-27-2013, 12:36 AM
I should add that like any program, CS has its share of students who are better-suited for other majors. We get a lot of 18-20yr-olds who get into it thinking CS is all about video game design; before they get into anything even close to dealing with graphics, they have to do 2 solid years of discrete math, trig and calculus. Then after being exposed to some basic programming concepts, they have to do architecture and assembly code, so they can understand a graphics chip is designed to handle vector instructions, and they are going to have to apply that math that they hopefully learned. I've come across some who thought an operating systems course was about teaching you how to use different operating systems, when what you will really be doing is learning how to build one.

Most of that group will have changed majors by then. When I was in undergrad, we had 100-150 CS majors in the software concentration (as opposed to an IT/security concentration), and only 12 ended up with that particular CS degree. The difference with me was at the time, I already had some real world experience in web programming before I came to school. When I got laid off from my long-time job, I was able to get into interviews at software companies, but not having a degree kept me from being at the top of their lists. I had breadth of knowledge, but someone could eventually pick apart my weaknesses in an interview. I did a lot of freelancing during that time. For the first few years, I was literally taking what they covered in class that day and applying it immediately to whatever I happened to be working on at the time.

Nowadays, we try to work with the sophomores who make it through the first cut, and whenever possible, get them involved on real software projects outside of class so they can get some experience working in a team. The school has a good relationship with ORNL and the big research park in Huntsville, AL. Some of the juniors and seniors will do a co-op for a year at one of these places, and end up staying for 2 or 3. The ones who are a good fit for this type of work, it's important to catch them early on and let them see that there are things they can do while still in school that are directly related to what they are having to deal with in the classroom. Otherwise, they will change majors and/or get through the 4 years and end up in a job they don't like, doing things that have nothing to do with what they went to school for in the first place.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-27-2013, 01:50 AM

You don't need a degree for that.

Brian4Liberty
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Worst case scenario, you may have to be willing to relocate, and have no problems working for a defense contractor.

That's where many Americans have to go to find a job because they require US citizens due to security. They can't hire H-1Bs. Kind of convenient for the government. It forces people to work for them.