PDA

View Full Version : Ron could learn something from Ron

BLS
11-25-2007, 11:47 AM
From Ronald Reagan's site.

When the Nashua Telegraph offered to sponsor a debate between the two of us on the Saturday evening preceding the election, we both accepted. Understandably, this brought howls from the other candidates. In protest, one of them, Senator Bob Dole, complained to the Federal Elections Commission that by financing a debate between only two of the seven candidates, the newspaper was making an illegal campaign contribution to the Bush and Reagan campaigns. The commission agreed with him, so my campaign offered to pay the full cost of the debate - a few thousand dollars - and they accepted.

I thought it had been unfair to exclude the other candidates from the debate. Most of them were also campaigning in New Hampshire that weekend, and since we were now sponsoring and paying for it, I decided to invite them to join the debate. Four of the other candidates - Bob Dole, Howard Baker, John Anderson, and Phil Crane (John Connally was campaigning elsewhere) - accepted. When we walked on to a platform set up for the debate at the Nashua High School gymnasium Saturday night, there was one table, two chairs, and six candidates. When he spotted the four other candidates, Jim Baker, George Bush's campaign manager, protested and said George would not participate in the debate as long as they were part of it. Since I had invited them, I couldn't go along with him and exclude the other candidates, so we were at an awkward impasse. George just sat frozen in his chair, not saying anything; I sat in the other chair with the four other candidates standing behind me, looking embarrassed in front of two or three thousand people while being literally told they had to leave.
Unable to understand what was going on, the audience hooted and hollered an urged us to proceed. I decided I should explain to the crowd what the delay was all about and started to speak. As I did, an editor of the Nashua newspaper shouted to the sound man, "Turn Mr. Reagan's microphone off." Well, I didn't like that - we were paying the freight for the debate and he was acting as if his newspaper was still sponsoring it. I turned to him, with the microphone still on, and said the first thing that came to my mind: "I am paying for this microphone, Mr. Breen." Well, for some reason my words hit the audience, whose emotions were already worked up, like a sledgehammer. The crowd roared and just went wild. I may have won the debate, the primary - and the nomination - right there.

RP has had NUMEROUS opportunities to embrace this.
FOX alone has picked on him many times during the debates.
He could really stand to get TOUGH, just ONE TIME with a moderator or a candidate.

***Ronald Reagan talks about BLOWBACK***
Abroad, the Soviet Union was engaged in a brutal war in Afghanistan and Communism was extending its tentacles deep into Central America and Africa. In Iran, more than fifty Americans had been held captive for almost a year under the regime of a vicious religious despot who had risen to power while a loyal ally of the United States had been forced from power and our country had done nothing to help him. I made a decision not to criticize President Carter regarding Iran, I knew anything I might say could interfere with efforts to free the hostages. Being governor had taught me that sometimes there are things going on that only the top person in the government knows about, and I thought it was best for me to keep quiet. But I wasn't happy with the events in Iran. Our government's decision to stand piously by while the Shah was forced from office led to the establishment of a despotic regime in Teheran that was far more evil and far more tyrannical than the one it replaced. And, as I was to learn through personal experience, it left a legacy of problems that would haunt our country for years to come.

You guys gotta check this site out.
Ronald Reagan and Ron Paul have a TON in common.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com

robertwerden
11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Id like to see Ron Paul speak out of turn, speak longer than allowed and stop the other candidates dead in their tracks when they say something that is unconstitutional.
Id like to see him tell the moderator to stop interupting and stop throwing questions that are designed to weaken his views.
Id like to see Ron Paul talk tough on going after terrorists, without attacking other nations to do so.
There are so many points where Ron Paul can win the election in a debate, but he is simply and destructively to polite.

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
In a Ron Paul world I would be paid what I'm worth
In a Ron Paul world what I buy would cost what it's worth
In a Ron Paul world... I'd be free