PDA

View Full Version : Full Straw Poll Results of the National Tax Payer Union Members - Ron Paul second!

torchbearer
06-23-2007, 12:09 PM
http://blog.ntu.org/main/post.php?post_id=2116

The Official Blog of National Taxpayers Union
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Straw Poll Results
Posted by Andrew Moylan - June 19, 2007

On Sunday, I live-blogged the results of our Presidential Straw Poll with the promise that full results would follow. Well, here they are...

Just a note, we excluded a few write-in votes for non-living individuals like Jack Bauer and Josef Stalin. That was as close to a voting irregularity as we had.

We gave all attendees of our National Taxpayers Conference the ability to cast one vote in support of any of the top Republican or Democratic Presidential Candidates (official candidates, or those with exploratory committees, who are included in national polls). Their options were:

Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX), Fred Thompson (R-TN), Rudy Giuliani (R-NY), Jim Gilmore (R-VA), Sam Brownback (R-KS), John McCain (R-AZ), Tom Tancredo (R-CO), Mike Huckabee (R-AR), Tommy Thompson (R-WI), Mitt Romney (R-MA), Barack Obama (D-IL), Hillary Clinton (D-NY), Bill Richardson (D-NM), Joe Biden (D-DE), Chris Dodd (D-CT), John Edwards (D-NC), Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), Mike Gravel (D-AK), and the ever-present None of the Above.

They came out in this order...

1. Fred Thompson (R-TN) - 25.7%
2. Ron Paul (R-TX) - 16.7%
3. Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) - 12.5%
4. Mitt Romney (R-MA) - 9.0%
5. John McCain (R-AZ) - 5.6%

6. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) - 4.8%
7. Jim Gilmore (R-VA) - 4.2%
8. Newt Gingrich (R-GA) - 3.5% (all votes written in)
9(t). Sam Brownback (R-KS) - 2.1%
9(t). Duncan Hunter (R-CA) - 2.1%
9(t). Tom Tancredo (R-CO) - 2.1%

12(t). Dick Armey (R-TX) - 1.4% (all votes written in)
12(t). Hillary Clinton (D-NY) - 1.4%
12(t). Barack Obama (D-IL) - 1.4%
12(t). Tommy Thompson (R-WI) - 1.4%
16(t). Jeb Bush (R-FL) - 0.7% (all votes written in)
16(t). Tom Coburn (R-OK) - 0.7% (all votes written in)
16(t). Steve Forbes - 0.7% (all votes written in)
16(t). Mike Gravel (D-AK) - 0.7%
16(t). Bill Richardson (D-NM) - 0.7%

torchbearer
06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
my time stamp is wrong again.

torchbearer
06-23-2007, 12:30 PM
ok seems like it back to normal.

mikelovesgod
06-23-2007, 12:32 PM
He should be #1 based on the fact he wants to end the IRS vs. a fiscal liberal.

remaxjon
06-23-2007, 12:37 PM
does anyone know how many people voted?

dspectre
06-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm assuming this maybe the good news that the guys from Iowa were making a big deal about...

LibertyCzar
06-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I wish Fred Thompson would quit playing games. If he's going to run, then he should just declare himself a candidate already. Does he really care that much about his Law & Order reruns all over cable television?

It must be nice to watch everyone else duke it out in debates and other such places, while sitting back and taking notes. Then to come sweeping in with smoothly canned rebuttals to everyone at the last minute without being properly vetted.

dspectre
06-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I wish Fred Thompson would quit playing games. If he's going to run, then he should just declare himself a candidate already. Does he really care that much about his Law & Order reruns all over cable television?

It must be nice to watch everyone else duke it out in debates and other such places, while sitting back and taking notes. Then to come sweeping in with smoothly canned rebuttals to everyone at the last minute without being properly vetted.

Let him play games, the longer he stays out, the more it will just wear on people. If he does it too long and just teases people it will be harder for him to be taken seriously.

PatriotOne
06-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Second is great but I want to know who is voting for that big blow-hole Thompson! Get a grip morons.

LibertyCzar
06-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I did laugh when I heard the Bloomberg announcement. There was Fred Thompson in England with the former Prime Minister, trying to look like quite the statesman. And what happens? Bloomberg drops out of the Republican Party and steals all the attention. :D

PatriotOne
06-23-2007, 12:49 PM
People wrote in Jeb Bush? Oh. My. God. Haven't we been tortured enough by the Bush cabal? Seriously. Who would do that? Are they calling family members of the candidates now?

CJLauderdale4
06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
How many votes were cast there???

LibertyCzar
06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
People wrote in Jeb Bush? Oh. My. God. Haven't we been tortured enough by the Bush cabal? Seriously. Who would do that? Are they calling family members of the candidates now?

I'm beginning to think America has been reduced to being led by two dynasties: The Bushes and The Clintons. :( :mad: :eek:

I guess after 8 years of Hillary, we'll have Jeb, or another Bush. Although the pickings on the Clinton side are a little slim. I guess Chelsea could run.

yongrel
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM
wait, Hillary is going to run in 2016?

GoRonPaul
06-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Thompson over Paul, what the hell are those NTUers smoking...?

Exponent
06-23-2007, 01:00 PM
How many votes were cast there???
I'm guessing 142 or 143, judging from the 0.7% (assuming 0.7% is 1 vote). Note a whole lot, really, but "a lot" is all relative and contextual.

dspectre
06-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Thompson over Paul, what the hell are those NTUers smoking...?

For someone who supposedly is 2% in the Polls and nobody knows about him...this is really good

The only way for RP is up the way I see it.

LibertyCzar
06-23-2007, 01:01 PM
I want to know who voted for Josef Stalin. :confused:

dspectre
06-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised people didn't make a big deal about this...

This kind of poll leads into question most of the polls out there.

I'm assuming this Tax Payer's Union are more likely to vote, so it carries more weight.

I think it is weird this is kind of overlooked; it really calls into question the idea of Paul being a "credible" candidate.

GoRonPaul
06-23-2007, 01:24 PM
For someone who supposedly is 2% in the Polls and nobody knows about him...this is really good

The only way for RP is up the way I see it.

Don't get me wrong, it's great for Paul. But I'm disappointed with the NTU, unlike many, they know him and his record... It's just a shame that they were caught in the empty hype over Hollywood Fred during this poll.

dspectre
06-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I don't know if people have unrealistic expectations or what...but this is good data if this is true.

In the Utah Poll RP placed second at 5%.

But this!! This is good, since RP doesn't have name recognition or even any publicity from the MSM. Someone who has no name recognition and a virtual blackout from the MSM and can place a significant second??! That means something....

Pizza God
06-23-2007, 02:13 PM
i read an article last night that Ron Paul scored 2nd in a Utah GOP straw poll this last weekend.

One guess on who was first.:D

foofighter20x
06-23-2007, 02:18 PM
i read an article last night that Ron Paul scored 2nd in a Utah GOP straw poll this last weekend.

One guess on who was first.:D

Mitt "King Mormon" Romney McDonald?

Duckman
06-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Romney McDonald?

Doesn't he sell hamburgers? ;)