PDA

View Full Version : Majority of senate Republicans support internet sales tax

green73
04-25-2013, 06:46 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- You don't see this very often: a majority of Senate Republicans voting to make people who buy stuff on the Internet pay state and local sales taxes.

Anti-tax guru Grover Norquist isn't happy about it and the conservative Heritage Foundation is questioning the senators' conservative credentials. But the issue of taxing Internet sales is getting strong support from Republicans and Democrats alike.

The Senate could vote as early as Thursday on a bill to empower states to require online retailers to collect state and local sales taxes for purchases made over the Internet. Under the bill, the sales taxes would be sent to the states where a shopper lives.

On Wednesday, the bill passed a test vote in the Senate, 74 to 23, with 27 Republicans voting in favor. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., vowed to pass the bill this week, before senators leave for a scheduled vacation.

"This is a matter of equity and fairness," said South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard, a Republican. "The same people who are selling the same products should be paying the same taxes."

cont
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_INTERNET_SALES_TAX?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-25-03-16-13

Antischism
04-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Between this and CISPA, Refuglycans clearly hate the Internet.

Cleaner44
04-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Read their lips... loads new taxes!

Keith and stuff
04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
At least Ayotte is fighting it and Rand and C4L are helping her. I guess she is either a bad leader or this issue has so much support that she isn't making any difference. Plus, we have Da Collinz working overtime to stop this. Both of the NH Senators are against it but he still continues to spam the Ron Paul New Hampshire 2012 Facebook page about this issue. See for yourself. https://www.facebook.com/RP2012NH

HOLLYWOOD
04-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Between this and CISPA, Refuglycans clearly hate the Internet.All of Washington DC hates the internet. WWW allows people to communicate to one another and expose all the lies and propaganda spewed by government and their crony corporatist media.

Aeroneous
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
If this passes I will stop buying online and will shift to barter for as many things as I possibly can. There's no way I'm paying tax on my internet service and tax on internet purchases.

ZENemy
04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Cispa

Internet tax (Tax = control)

That thing they are building in the desert to collect ALL data

They are all connected, no legislation will stop any of this, its all in motion, I wish more people could see this.

We consent to it all until people are brave enough to stand up and withdrawal consent.

2young2vote
04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
This might be good for Craigslist. Instead of buying something new I might just go to craigslist and get it not only at a discounted used price, but also "tax" free.

ZENemy
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
This might be good for Craigslist. Instead of buying something new I might just go to craigslist and get it not only at a discounted used price, but also "tax" free.

I agree

New in the box but USED from Craigslist is very doable for almost any item.

Brett85
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Wow, this is unreal. I hope the house Republicans will oppose it, but I won't hold my breath.

CCTelander
04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow, this is unreal. I hope the house Republicans will oppose it, but I won't hold my breath.

I thought it had already passed the House. Am I in error on this?

Brett85
04-25-2013, 11:48 AM
I thought it had already passed the House. Am I in error on this?

I don't believe the house has voted on it. I read an article the other day about how it would have a tougher time passing the house than the Senate.

Aeroneous
04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Is this an amendment to another tax bill? New tax bills are supposed to originate in the House, not the Senate.

compromise
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Anyone have a list of who these guys are?

Zippyjuan
04-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Is this an amendment to another tax bill? New tax bills are supposed to originate in the House, not the Senate.

I think that applies to Federal taxes. Sales taxes are not assesed by the Federal government but the law would allow States to collect it. It does not concern any federal taxation. I think that is why this does not have to start out in the House of Representatives.

CCTelander
04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't believe the house has voted on it. I read an article the other day about how it would have a tougher time passing the house than the Senate.

Hope you're right. Thanks.

ninepointfive
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
well, this should be a good indication that bitcoin could be a good investment, no matter how unstable it currently is. Just don't hold your money into the bitcoin wallet for long.

Aeroneous
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
I think that applies to Federal taxes. Sales taxes are not assesed by the Federal government but the law would allow States to collect it. It does not concern any federal taxation. I think that is why this does not have to start out in the House of Representatives.

Don't we already pay internet sales tax on purchases where the buyer and seller are in the same state? I know I've seen that before.

And how is this anything other than a state level issue?

mortepa
04-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Obama says he will veto it though...but I'm not going to hold my breath with anything he promises!!!

NEVER MIND, my bad, That was CISPA he said he would veto. Of course Obama would be for more taxes...

LINK (news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57579905-38/obama-threatens-veto-of-cispa-database-sharing-bill/)

" The White House today delivered a formal veto threat against a controversial data-sharing bill called CISPA that would allow intelligence agencies to collect personal information about Americans from private companies.

In a statement this afternoon, President Obama's aides said they "would recommend that he veto the bill," which is scheduled for a House of Representatives floor vote this week. "

Zippyjuan
04-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Don't we already pay internet sales tax on purchases where the buyer and seller are in the same state? I know I've seen that before.

And how is this anything other than a state level issue?
If the seller and buyer are in the same state. If the buyer and seller are in different states, no. States want to say that if somebody in their state is making a purchase, they should be able to collect the sales tax on that purchase.

A major problem it would impose on businesses is the vast number of different tax areas in the country- over 9,000 (states, counties, cities, etc) which all have different rates and taxes collected would have to be calculated and sent to each of them- increasing labor and paperwork for businesses.

Keith and stuff
04-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Another vote is happening right now. Live feed. http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=senate_floor_feed

The US Senate is now voting on whether to increase sale tax collections in all states except NH, DE, MT and OR. There have been 2 previous votes on this and both times around 75% of Senators voted for massive tax increase in all but those 4 states. I'll keep you informed. If this eventually becomes law, it will be yet another reason to move to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

Keith and stuff
04-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Another vote down. Not as bad as the last 2 times. The Senate needed 60 votes for this. It got 63. :(

Brett85
04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Another vote down. Not as bad as the last 2 times. The Senate need 60 votes for this. It got 63. :(

Since the bill is going to pass by a more narrow margin than originally thought, hopefully that will make it harder for it to pass the house.