PDA

View Full Version : Revive the Revolutionary Slogan: "No Taxation Without Representation!!"

ronpaulfan
11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
My ears bleed when I hear Fair and Tax in the same sentence. There is NOTHING fair about taxation. I mean damn, we had a revolution over this matter.

When I read the above quote, a lightbulb went off in my head.....The biggest slogan for the Revolutionary War was "No Taxation Without Representation!" which symbolized the frustration the American colonies felt at being taxed but not having representation in the British Parliament.

When you think about it, that exact same slogan can be applied today. We the people are being taxed to the hilt and are not being adequately represented in Congress. Due to lobbyists and excessive corporate influence, the special interests are being fully represented but we are not! There are a million examples of this, most notably, over 70% of America wants us out of Iraq but we're still there!

If you like this idea, please comment and say "No Taxation Without Representation!!"

V4Vendetta
11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
"No Taxation Without Representation!!"

ronpaulfan
11-25-2007, 11:23 AM
If this slogan goes viral, it will neutralize Tax Hike Mike Huckabee's fair tax platform. It will also remind people the Ron Paul Revolution has the spirit of the American Revolution.

DrNoZone
11-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't like it at all. I prefer: NO TAXATION!

ronpaulfan
11-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't like it at all. I prefer: NO TAXATION!

Great to, but that doesn't have the revolutionary roots. :)

davidkachel
11-25-2007, 11:34 AM
This phrase now means little or nothing to the general populace. It won't resonate. You have to hit current hot buttons.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Why have any taxes at all? :) no reason to!

Bryan
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Personally I've come to really dislike this slogan since it perpetuates a mindset of non-freedom. I offer the following questions:

- Since when does 500 or so people deciding on the freedom (the absence of taxes) of 300,000,000+ make a good system?
- What if none of the 500+ people represent you even if you do happen to live within some predefined geographical boundary?
- Since when is it OK for the will of others to infringe upon your unalienable rights to your life, liberty and property?

For there reasons and more, I will never use that pro-state slogan but instead say "No taxation without consent". That's what makes us a Republic, "No Taxation Without Representation" is the epitome of a democracy, or "two wolves and a sheep deciding on lunch."

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Read my Constitution, NO taxes

andrewgreve
11-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I think this time around it's more like "No Taxation, Period"

jgmaynard
11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
"No taxation without representation" goes back further than the Revolution, AND it was first uttered by a woman.

After the death of Ceasar and the end of civil war in Rome, the Republic/Empire was briefly ruled by the Second Triumvarite, which was essentially a military juanta. One of their first acts was to raise taxes on women who had (mostly) inhereted large tracts of land. A large gathering of these women (who were not allowed to vote) happened in the forum where a woman named Hortensia is said to have first uttered the phrase.

<Cheap commercial plug ahead>

It's all in my book... (http://www.lightofalexandria.com)

<End cheap commercial plug>

JM

wgadget
11-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Even under a Ron Paul presidency, we will still have SOME taxes. What I think the OP is referring to is the Federal Income Tax..Maybe someone can incorporate this into the new slogan?

AdoubleR
11-25-2007, 12:18 PM

webber53
11-25-2007, 12:19 PM

JosephTheLibertarian
11-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Personally I've come to really dislike this slogan since it perpetuates a mindset of non-freedom. I offer the following questions:

- Since when does 500 or so people deciding on the freedom (the absence of taxes) of 300,000,000+ make a good system?
- What if none of the 500+ people represent you even if you do happen to live within some predefined geographical boundary?
- Since when is it OK for the will of others to infringe upon your unalienable rights to your life, liberty and property?

For there reasons and more, I will never use that pro-state slogan but instead say "No taxation without consent". That's what makes us a Republic, "No Taxation Without Representation" is the epitome of a democracy, or "two wolves and a sheep deciding on lunch."

But why do we need to have any taxes? Voluntary contributions. Keeps government small. Government will be limited to the following:

1. providing domestic law enforcement
2. maintaining a small but effective national defense
3. other misc things

That's how I see it anyway. No taxes. Government is just a referee

FreeTraveler
11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
No Taxation, period!

Bryan
11-25-2007, 12:49 PM
But why do we need to have any taxes? Voluntary contributions. Keeps government small. Government will be limited to the following:

1. providing domestic law enforcement
2. maintaining a small but effective national defense
3. other misc things

That's how I see it anyway. No taxes. Government is just a referee

You are correct, you don't need taxes at all, but if someone else wants to pay then by a free association with a chosen government then I won't stop them. Free markets and all that. :) Why should I impose my will on others that they can't pay taxes if they want to? :)

This softens the message and promotes freedom IMHO. :)

Arklatex
11-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Brutus
11-25-2007, 03:12 PM
I'd gladly give up representation if it meant I wasn't taxed either directly or indirectly. No question.

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Soeone said we're representative government, should we switch to a PR electroal system if that were the case?

MrKoffee
11-25-2007, 06:32 PM
No taxation through inflation!

wgadget
11-25-2007, 06:41 PM
There ya go.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-25-2007, 06:51 PM
You are correct, you don't need taxes at all, but if someone else wants to pay then by a free association with a chosen government then I won't stop them. Free markets and all that. :) Why should I impose my will on others that they can't pay taxes if they want to? :)

This softens the message and promotes freedom IMHO. :)

Well, you're talking about a variation of ancap, I think a permanent government should exist to protect personal liberty and private property. How can we have government corruption with a system of voluntary contributions? Is there a way? I think it just eliminates it entirely :D

Mark Rushmore
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Brilliant!

Tidewise
11-25-2007, 08:02 PM

I think this truly hits the mark and is a chance to educate people about the most pernicious form of taxation we suffer. People are so focused on the IRS game that they forget what Federal Reserve inflation is doing to the dollar-denominated savings and spending power of all Americans.

How much representation do Americans have on the Federal Reserve board?

AFTFNJ
11-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Say NO to the Lawless / Unconstitutional Federal Income tax!!! Vote RON PAUL!

JosephTheLibertarian
11-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Say NO to ALL TAXES! Government should be grateful with what I send them! :D Just give contributing a patriotic twist, no biggie