PDA

View Full Version : New York state: State troopers getting worried about trying to enforce law?

shane77m
04-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Sounds like they might be a little worried about the consequences that could possibly come from this law.

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/region-state/new-york-gun-control-hudson-valley-cops-balk-at-enforcement-as-laws-take-effect-1.5123535

As the primary enforcers of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's sweeping gun control laws, state troopers hear directly from New York gun owners -- and so far, it's been an earful.

So much so that, last week, the New York State Troopers Police Benevolent Association issued a statement distancing troopers from Cuomo and warning of public resentment toward law enforcement since the gun law's passage.

"The individual members of this union did not write the terms of the bill nor vote on its passage," the State Police PBA said. "We urge the citizens of New York State to remember that troopers are simply tasked with the lawful mandate to enforce the laws of the state, regardless of their personal opinion of such laws."

The extraordinary statement -- police do not normally distance themselves from the laws they enforce -- is the latest in a series of declarations and resolutions warning that parts of the NY SAFE Act may be difficult to enforce.

Signed into law by Cuomo just a half-hour after it passed the Assembly, the SAFE Act contains more than a dozen provisions, including a long list of features that qualify a gun as an assault weapon. The law requires owners of assault weapons to register the weapons with State Police.

It includes penalties for gun owners who fail to register assault weapons, or fail to store weapons and ammunition as required. It requires ammo dealers to report sales details to the state and closes the so-called "private sale loophole" by requiring background checks in connection with all gun sales.

The message from the troopers echoes the sentiments of the New York State Sheriffs Association, which has said its members "strongly believe that modifications are needed to clarify the intent of some of these new provisions and that revisions are needed to allow sheriffs to properly enforce the law in their counties."

In addition to describing NY SAFE's definition of assault weapons as "too broad," because it includes "many weapons that are legitimately used for hunting, target shooting and self defense," the sheriffs association questioned how its members could enforce provisions like the law's limit of seven rounds in a magazine.

The sheriffs "remain concerned that this provision will be very difficult to enforce and will likely only affect law abiding citizens," the group wrote.

More at the link

Origanalist
04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
New York state: State troopers getting worried about trying to enforce law?

Good, they should be.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
"The individual members of this union did not write the terms of the bill nor vote on its passage," the State Police PBA said. "We urge the citizens of New York State to remember that troopers are simply tasked with the lawful mandate to enforce the laws of the state, regardless of their personal opinion of such laws."

First off, that's untrue. They are morally bound not to enforce unjust laws, despite their claims to the contrary. They're supposed to be a check on stupid laws, which is why they have so much "discretion" and how they're always doing you a favor somehow when they pull you over.

The extraordinary statement -- police do not normally distance themselves from the laws they enforce -- is the latest in a series of declarations and resolutions warning that parts of the NY SAFE Act may be difficult to enforce.

They do both of those all of the fucking time. Who hasn't had a cop encounter without them "cutting you a break" or "doing you a favor" as they write out your bills for you. Furthermore, who hasn't heard a cop say "I don't make the laws, I just enforce them." Those statements are used constantly.

A police organization saying that is rare, but individual cops say that all day long.

moostraks
04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
They can always find a new line of work. Of course just like senators who can't stand up for the right things, we are going to be expected by many here and irl to be sympathetic to their situation. Just following orders is a pathetic excuse...

BAllen
04-24-2013, 08:10 AM
The solution is simple. Just don't enforce the laws, period. From staties to county mounties, don't enforce it.

familydog
04-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Cry me a river. I have no sympathy for these "I'm just following orders!" thugs. If only half the police officers refused to enforce immoral laws, the state would brought to it's knees.

Kelly.
04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
sounds like a nazi solider's defense,
"hey man, i was just doing what i was told. i dont make the rules, im just doing my job"

anyone that enforces immoral laws is a coward