PDA

View Full Version : How did we lose the messaging war on this internet "sales tax"?

JorgeStevenson
04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
The internet "sales tax" bill is not about sales tax. It is about use tax. This is a fundamental difference that completely undercuts the "herp...it just levuls teh playng feeld" argument.

A sales tax is collected on intrastate sales. When you buy a product in your home state, you are charge a sales tax. When you buy a product in another state, your home state charges you a use tax. If I live in Maryland but drive over to Delaware to buy a TV, I now owe a use tax to Maryland. The retailer in Delaware is not required to collect this use tax. It is up to me to declare and pay it.

But LORD HAVE MERCY ON MY SOUL if I live in Maryland and buy a TV from an online retailer based in Delaware. In this case, the internet "sales tax" proponents want the retailer in Delaware to figure out where I live and calculate my sales tax for me.

How, exactly, is that a level playing field? Why aren't these supporters of everything fair and level ALSO clamoring for:

- fast food drive thrus to ask you in which tax jurisdiction you will be consuming your burger
- local convenience stores asking you in which tax jurisdiction you will be reading your magazine
- B&M clothing retailers to ask you in which tax jurisdiction you will be wearing those tighty-whiteys

THAT would be too fair, wouldn't it?

Anti Federalist
04-23-2013, 09:38 PM
How did we lose the messaging war on this internet "sales tax"?

Because people hate freedom and are working as hard as possible to kill it on all fronts.

Duh...

aGameOfThrones
04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Because people hate freedom and are working as hard as possible to kill it on all fronts.

Duh...

That's factually incorrect, AF. People want to control freedom not hate it. I'm all for a little CF, are you?

DamianTV
04-23-2013, 09:52 PM
It doesnt matter how many of us or what percentage of us say NO, they dont listen to us what so ever, and its their votes that count.