PDA

View Full Version : Two Women Shot By LAPD in Dorner Manhunt Reach 4.2 Million Dollar Settlement

kcchiefs6465
04-23-2013, 07:54 PM
The women injured when Los Angeles police opened fire on them during the manhunt for ex-cop Christopher Dorner have reached a $4.2-million settlement with the city, sources told The Times.

Los Angeles City Atty. Carmen Trutanich announced a settlement had been reached Tuesday afternoon. More details were expected at a 2 p.m. news conference.

Margie Carranza, 47, and her mother, Emma Hernandez, 71, were delivering newspapers in Torrance on Feb. 7 when LAPD officers shot repeatedly at their blue Toyota Tacoma. Hernandez was shot twice in the back, and Carranza was injured by broken glass, an attorney for the women said.

FULL COVERAGE: Sweeping manhunt for ex-cop

The officers were protecting the home of a high-ranking LAPD official named in a threatening manifesto authorities said was written by Dorner, and they believed that the official could have been a potential target. Dorner at the time had already killed the daughter of an LAPD captain, her fiance -- a USC police officer -- and a Riverside police officer, officials said.

Dorner was believed to be driving a gray Nissan Titan, and there was an alert preceding the shooting that said a truck matching Dorner's was in the area.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck called the shooting "a tragic misinterpretation" by officers working under "incredible tension" hours after Dorner allegedly shot police officers. Beck promised to provide a truck from a donor regardless of potential litigation by the women.

Last month, the women received a $40,000 check from the city to cover the loss of the truck.

When announcing the check had been delivered, Trutanich said the settlement was "the legal and morally right thing to do both for the individuals involved and the taxpayers of this city."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-women-shot-millions-20130423,0,1713238.story

kcchiefs6465
04-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Hmm. The right thing for the tax payers to do huh? They seem to think this settlement saved the tax payers millions and that they ought to be grateful when in actuality it cost the tax payers 4.2 million dollars and they ought to be outraged.

Must be nice being that far detached from reality.

James Madison
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Isn't this a bit much?

Hell, I'd volunteer to be shot in the back for $4.2million.

Brian4Liberty
04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Is this coming out of the paychecks of the trigger happy officers?

kcchiefs6465
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Isn't this a bit much?

I wouldn't have settled for under 10 million.

They could have been killed or worse. Hell, it's a lot, but not that much. 2.1 million a piece for what, 120 bullets fired your way?

I wouldn't like those odds.

kcchiefs6465
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Is this coming out of the paychecks of the trigger happy officers?
That's a knee slapper. I'd be interested to hear what happened to them. Probably back on the street by now.

TheGrinch
04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
The police equivalent of "don't worry, mom and dad will pay for it". A responsible parent would have grounded and cut up their credit card long ago.

James Madison
I wouldn't have settled for under 10 million.

They could have been killed or worse. Hell, it's a lot, but not that much. 2.1 million a piece for what, 120 bullets fired your way?

I wouldn't like those odds.

Thankfully, most cops are terrible shots.

I'm ok with 10 million so long as it doesn't come from tax revenue.

nobody's_hero
I bet those officers will think twice before they make the taxpayers have to pay for their mistakes again.

Cleaner44
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
This case proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the police were attempting to murder the occupants of the truck. No attempt to identify and arrest was made at all, just shooting to kill.

kcchiefs6465
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
I bet those officers will think twice before they make the taxpayers have to pay for their mistakes again.
I don't think they should even have the chance to make any more mistakes.

There was a cop in NYC (I can't remember the name off hand) that cost the tax payers around $200,000 in settlements for a few different incidents. He was still on the force, last I heard. Had another lawsuit against him pending, IIRC.

ETA: Sgt. Mourad Mourad and Officer Jovaniel Cordova are the cops whose 5 federal lawsuits have costed NYC $215,000. They are the two that recently shot Kimani Gray. (pretty recently, anyways)

TheGrinch
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't think they should even have the chance to make any more mistakes.

There was a cop in NYC (I can't remember the name off hand) that cost the tax payers around $200,000 in settlements for a few different incidents. He was still on the force, last I heard. Had another lawsuit against him pending, IIRC.

And yet if you or I cost our company anywhere near what we earn, for them, we would undoubtedly be fired.

And really, leaving money aside, its just sickening that they get to be trigger happy with none of the consequences any other citizen would face

Cutlerzzz
04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
4.2 million? Where do I signup?

sailingaway
04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
That's a ton of money and I am pissed I have to pay any of it. I hope the police have at least been fired. there is NO excuse for what they did imho.

jmdrake
04-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Isn't this a bit much?

This is the only way I'd volunteer to be shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQM6zLiSn1E

PaulConventionWV
04-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Hmm. The right thing for the tax payers to do huh? They seem to think this settlement saved the tax payers millions and that they ought to be grateful when in actuality it cost the tax payers 4.2 million dollars and they ought to be outraged.

Must be nice being that far detached from reality.

I don't know about being outraged. Sure it cost them 4.2 million dollars, but I happen to think this is not the worst way to use taxpayer money if police violence can't be prevented. I am happy for the 2 women.

aGameOfThrones
04-23-2013, 09:53 PM
That's a ton of money and I am pissed I have to pay any of it. I hope the police have at least been fired. there is NO excuse for what they did imho.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sad_face.gif

HOLLYWOOD
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
What a scam of a job/gov business... Shoot, destroy, kill... if you fuck up, you usually get a paid vacation AND you get the taxpayers to pickup the tab of lawsuits/all the costs.

These reckless, violent, and idiotic licensed to kill clowns, should burdened the debt from their endangerment/destruction to innocent people. Unfortunately, they're never held accountable, but I see plenty of taxpayers who are being the patsy to pay.

bunklocoempire
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Isn't this a bit much?

No amount is too great when catering to our heroes.

Our heroes would oblige you for far less.

:toady:

bunklocoempire
04-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Guffaw!

RickyJ
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM

They tried to kill the occupants of the truck without even knowing who they were or if they were even armed. These cops should be facing criminal charges, but they are still employed by the LAPD which is making excuses for them.

thoughtomator
04-23-2013, 11:26 PM
They tried to kill the occupants of the truck without even knowing who they were or if they were even armed. These cops should be facing criminal charges, but they are still employed by the LAPD which is making excuses for them.

Agreed - this was attempted murder pure and simple. Everyone involved should be facing 20 years for this - a mundane surely would be.

wetroof
04-24-2013, 01:01 AM
maybe the individual cops involved in the shooting should have been sued instead of the city or police dept. that is more fair.