PDA

View Full Version : We’re Number One! In Fear, Stress, Anger, Divorce, Obesity, Anti-Depressants, Etc.

Lucille
04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=52959

We’re number one! But not in any category that is positive. We’ve run the table on consumption, debt fueled prosperity, greed, sloth, gluttony, pride, envy, wrath, you name it, and now Americans are paying the price. People are broken down, the family unit is broken down, and the principles that founded this country are now considered terrorist activities.

By any measure Americans are unhealthy, unhappy, drug and alcohol guzzling slobs. We’re the fattest people in the history of the world. We’re trained like lab rats from birth to buy, buy, buy, and consume as much crap as we can on credit. Almost 50 million people get free food and drinks (food stamps) because we don’t want anyone to be deprived of their ability to consume.

110 million people didn’t have to go to work today, and get to sit on the couch and watch Jerry Springer. Our public and private debt bomb is ticking away at $56 trillion, with another $200 trillion in promises made. The soul and spirit of our country is dying a slow, painful death.

By all measures, we’re at the end of a debt and consumption super-cycle; and what have we done with all this bounty? Become miserable, lazy and obese. What a waste.

America: #1 In Fear, Stress, Anger, Divorce, Obesity, Anti-Depressants, Etc.
http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2013/04/america-1-in-fear-stress-anger-divorce-obesity-anti-depressants-etc/

The United States is a deeply unhappy place. We are a nation that is absolutely consumed by fear, stress, anger and depression. It isn't just our economy that is falling apart - the very fabric of society is starting to come apart at the seams and it is because of what is happening to us on the inside. The facts and statistics that I am going to share with you in this article are quite startling. They are clear evidence that America is a nation that is an advanced state of decline. We are overwhelmed by fear, stress and anxiety, and much of the time the ways that we choose to deal with those emotions lead to some very self-destructive behaviors. Americans have experienced a standard of living far beyond the wildest dreams of most societies throughout human history, and yet we are an absolutely miserable people. Why is this? Why is America #1 in so many negative categories? Why are we constantly looking for ways to escape the pain of our own lives? Why are our families falling apart? There is vast material wealth all around us. So why can't we be happy?
[...]
So why is this happening? Is modern life structured in a way that is fundamentally unhealthy?

Below I have posted a short excerpt from a message that one of Charles Hugh Smith's readers named Kenneth Daigle recently sent to him. I think that it does a good job of describing the incredible stress that many people contend with on a daily basis...
[...]
Most Americans live lives of "quiet desperation" that are punctuated by moments of great crisis. We spend our prime years working for others (making them rich) in order to pay off debts that we have foolishly accumulated (thus making the banks even wealthier). When most Americans reach the end of their lives, they look back and wonder what they actually accomplished.

James Altucher published an incredible article the other day entitled "Why Do People Hate Their Jobs? (http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2013/04/why-do-people-hate-their-jobs/)" It did a great job of describing what life is like for the modern worker in America. The following are a few of the reasons that he says people tend to hate their jobs...
[...]
And of course when we get home from work there is even more stress. In America today, we are witnessing a breakdown of the family unlike anything we have ever seen before. The United States leads the world in divorce and in single person households. We are having an increasingly difficult time relating to one another, and many of us drown our sorrows in our addictions. We are addicted to pills, to alcohol, to food, to entertainment, to sex, to gambling, to shopping and to anything else that will make us feel good and forget about our problems for a while.

The following is a collection of facts and statistics that prove that America is being absolutely consumed by fear, stress, anger and depression...

Lots more at the link.

Charles Hugh Smith's piece: The Silent Epidemic In A Broken, Deranged System: Stress (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-18/silent-epidemic-broken-deranged-system-stress)

The Silent Epidemic In A Broken, Deranged System: Stress

Longtime readers know that I see our system not just as financially sick but as spiritually and psychologically deranging. The illnesses are related, of course--a distorted economic system (i.e. financialization) that rewards parasitic sociopathy and political predation cannot help but make its participants physically and psychologically ill.
[...]
In my view, the high cost of living is a direct contributor to chronic stress. While there are numerous explanations for the rising cost of living--Baumol's Cost Disease ( Productivity, Baumol's Disease and the Cliff Just Ahead December 8, 2010) and the rising cost of energy, to name but two--the one key driver that nobody dares discuss is the state-cartel (crony capitalism) structure of our economy: cartels (defense, energy, sickcare, education, etc.) avoid competition, enabled and enforced by the State (government).

This explains why sickcare and education costs have skyrocketed far above the rate of inflation. Apologists try to invoke Baumol to explain the lack of productivity in sickcare and education, but the primary cause is the cartel structure of these industries which ruthlessly eliminates any real competition.

People respond to incentives and disincentives. If it's easier to fake a disability, get Section 8 housing, food stamps, etc., than it is to earn a productive livelihood, then people will fake a disability, etc.

As it becomes increasingly costly and risky to start a business and hire workers, then people won't start businesses or hire workers--unless they have a guaranteed government contract, i.e. they are quasi-public-sector employees.

Another factor few dare mention is debt-serfdom. By the time the brainwashed consumer has loaded up on the "absolutely necessary" debts--$100,000+ for college, $200,000 for a home mortgage, $20,000 for a vehicle loan, and whatever he/she can swing in credit card debt--the options to escape stress shrivel.

Bankruptcy and opting out is one option, but that requires sacrificing all the signifiers of identity and success--the very factors in a consumerist society that establish not just identity but self-worth and personhood.

I say few dare mention state-cartels and debt-serfdom, because once you question these you question the entire debt-based "growth" that underpins our social order. If people refuse to become debt-serfs, the system will implode. If the cartels were boycotted, the State would implode, because the political order depends on the concentrated wealth of private-sector cartels and the financialization Aristocracy.

In other words: eliminate the real sources of stress and you bring down the entire economic, political and social order. The Status Quo hopes another med or two will make all the debt-serfs' stress decline to manageable levels, but it's not only the individual who needs help adjusting to chronic stress--the deranged system he/she inhabits needs to change...

kathy88
04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
I was kinda depressed, but this cheered me up immensely! Thanks for posting.

Lucille
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Misery loves company!

kathy88
04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Misery loves company!
Sometimes I wish I was a sheep. I've never really been one. I wonder what it's like...

Anti Federalist
04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
////

ZENemy
04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I am proud to say I suffer NONE of those problems.

enjerth
04-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I think this deserves a F-yeah! America!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

BlackTerrel
04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
How come so many more million come here every year than leave? I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of desirable/undesirable places to live.

tod evans
04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
How come so many more million come here every year than leave? I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of desirable/undesirable places to live.

Well gee-whiz lets see..............The poor come for the free stuff, the educated come for the wages and I'd even venture that some come for an education...

Now for the real question;

What percentage is each group?

youngbuck
04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
I am proud to say I suffer NONE of those problems.

Same here. Not to say that there aren't stressful moments in my life, but all of those addictions, drugs, psychological problems, physical maladies, etc., I'm nearly completely clear of.

A good diet and regular exercise go a long way. :)

Carson
04-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Except that they are having their way with us. Pretty soon they will have turned here into the place they left then where will we go?

Actually I suppose it isn't so much the people but the globally networked counterfeiting organization behind it all. I suppose they are doing a number on their countries as well.

BlackTerrel
04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Well gee-whiz lets see..............The poor come for the free stuff, the educated come for the wages and I'd even venture that some come for an education...

Now for the real question;

What percentage is each group?

So we're actually number one in a lot of categories that make this an attractive place to live.

Michigan11
04-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Sometimes I wish I was a sheep. I've never really been one. I wonder what it's like...

A re-occuring thought for me. What I wouldn't do... but then I think.. no I don't want that and what if it happens