PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Suspended on 'Weapons' Charge -- For Showing Students Garden Tools

green73
04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Attorneys for The Rutherford Institute have filed a civil rights lawsuit against a Chicago public school district on behalf of a second-grade teacher who was suspended after he displayed garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in his classroom as part of a "tool discussion" in his class.

Despite the fact that all potentially hazardous items were kept out of the students' reach, school officials at Washington Irving Elementary School informed Doug Bartlett, a 17-year veteran in the classroom, that his use of the tools as visual aids endangered his students. Bartlett was subsequently penalized with a four-day suspension without pay - charged with possessing, carrying, storing or using a weapon.

cont
http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/teacher-sues-school-over-suspension-weapons-charge-showing-students-garden

Dr.3D
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Maybe it's time to just close those schools and open ones where the people running them have a brain.

Origanalist
04-23-2013, 10:04 AM
For some reason that link isn't working for me, maybe this one if anybody else is having a problem....http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/teacher-sues-school-over-suspension-weapons-charge-showing-students-garden

Czolgosz
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Awesome.

Origanalist
04-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Attorneys for The Rutherford Institute have filed a civil rights lawsuit against a Chicago public school district on behalf of a second-grade teacher who was suspended after he displayed garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in his classroom as part of a "tool discussion" in his class.

Despite the fact that all potentially hazardous items were kept out of the students' reach, school officials at Washington Irving Elementary School informed Doug Bartlett, a 17-year veteran in the classroom, that his use of the tools as visual aids endangered his students. Bartlett was subsequently penalized with a four-day suspension without pay - charged with possessing, carrying, storing or using a weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbBfrKsVqY&feature=player_detailpage

HOLLYWOOD
04-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Oh... I'm familiar with those Chicago education districts/schools... yes, that was at, American Idol Elementary School... or was it 2 Broke Girls Grade School? Aaaah, oh, it was: Ricky Bobby's Dodgeball Potato-Head junior school. :rolleyes:

green73
04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
For some reason that link isn't working for me, maybe this one if anybody else is having a problem....http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/teacher-sues-school-over-suspension-weapons-charge-showing-students-garden

Works for me.

Origanalist
04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Works for me.

For thee, but not for me......

Eh, it's my computer, it's doing it on other links now. :mad:

Might have to check it out, see what the problem is.......

angelatc
04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
A Chicago teacher suspended...

Let the liberals eat each other.

(And they weren't garden tools. They were tools, garden variety.)

green73
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
For thee, but not for me......

Here's the rest

The complaint charges that Bartlett "suffered humiliation, embarrassment, mental suffering, and lost wages, and was suspended for four days" - and asks for "nominal and compensatory damages" and for the suspension to be expunged from the teacher's record.

"This school district's gross overreaction to a simple teaching demonstration on basic tools such as wrenches and pliers underscores exactly what is wrong with our nation's schools," said Rutherford Institute Pres. John Whitehead.

"What makes this case stand out from the rest is that this latest victim of zero tolerance policies run amok happens to be a veteran school teacher," Whitehead said.

None of the tools were made accessible to the students. When not in use, the tools were secured in a toolbox on a high shelf out of reach of the students. They were used to demonstrate the proper use of tools.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Long before second grade, I was MADE to use wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers. Not only was I made to use them, but I'd be in trouble if I weren't using them properly.

Dr.3D
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I guess this means we can't take our tools as a carry on when flying?

jkr
04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
they are trying to turn us into kobe beef...

oyarde
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I guess this means we can't take our tools as a carry on when flying? You probably gotta check that bag and pay $75.

Paulatized
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
My son, when 3 years old, took the doors hinges off the cabinet under the bathroom sink with a phillips screwdriver. We were impressed with his manual dexterity skills. Kept him busy for a good 30 minutes. Later when he was around 5 he broke off the business end of a small hammer. We knew he was kind of rough on stuff, but never saw him as being in any danger, nor a danger to anyone else.

Anti Federalist
04-23-2013, 04:29 PM
None of the tools were made accessible to the students. When not in use, the tools were secured in a toolbox on a high shelf out of reach of the students. They were used to demonstrate the proper use of tools.

Do I...do I...laugh or cry at this?

Anti Federalist
04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Maybe it's time to just close those schools and open ones where the people running them have a brain.

Not picking on you, brother, but this is not the problem.

The people running the schools have all sorts of brains, they are, in fact, geniuses, when it comes to social control and manipulation.

They know EXACTLY what they are doing, and they are doing it with stunning precision and effectiveness.

Running a system that trains you for the mindless compliance and heavy handed and arbitrary punishments of the larger system these people will advance into.

tod evans
04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I guess this means we can't take our tools as a carry on when flying?

It's been 10yrs or so back but I needed to fly with several thousand dollars worth of carving chisels.........

After less than 5 min. on the phone (several days prior to my flight) I figured out shipping them overnight via common carrier was less expensive/less hassle and had better insurance..

Couldn't imagine trying to fly with tools today...