PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Max Baucus (D-MT) to retire...

pulp8721
04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
ht tp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235304578440651803014518.html

XTreat
04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Surely this is one we have a chance at.

Rugged individual type state and low population and no large media markets? Should be easier to finance a run at least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/max-baucus-retiring_n_3138758.html?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=042313&utm_medium=email&utm_content=FeatureTitle&utm_term=Daily%20Brief

thoughtomator
04-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Very unusual to have a Senator retire voluntarily rather than die of old age in office.

HOLLYWOOD
04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Maybe all the corruption? Maybe Max being caught on CSPAN cameras, ranting about how great ObamaCare is for America as Mr Baucus spewed his "Drunk On Power... Drunk on the Senate Floor" that video would cause him to lose the next election... Moron America is more concerned about how politicians say/act to something, than putting the people trillions in debt, killing around the world, and/or violating the US Constitution of rights.

Mr.NoSmile
04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I assume he's also facing political backlash from his Democratic constituents due to his 'No' vote on the Manchin-Toomey Amendment. Well, if someone believes that there's someone on the ground in Montana with the political backing and can garner enough support come 2014 to beat a Democratic challenger that I'm sure the party will want (particularly if they're for gun control), then have at it.

Acala
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I have more respect now for his no vote on gun rights infringement. He apparently voted out of principle.

Michigan11
04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
This should be awesome news but how did Montana ever elect this guy into office in the first place. That state seems very conservative, but I may be missing something here on their way of politics. Going to google to research more, and hell I don't even know who their other Senator is...

oyarde
04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
This should be awesome news but how did Montana ever elect this guy into office in the first place. That state seems very conservative, but I may be missing something here on their way of politics. Going to google to research more, and hell I don't even know who their other Senator is...

I think that would be that Tester guy. Montana is strange , Western mountain areas are heavily unionized compared to most areas .There is no right to work as far as I know.Local politics are often found to lean towards populist Dems, which dates as far back as Wilson, probably .

Matt Collins
04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
MT is trending Democrat largely because of the influx of Californians.

In 2014, it will likely be a tea party year, so there is a chance without Obama running, and given the political environment, there may well be enough people who will vote Republican to make it happen.

oyarde
04-23-2013, 11:01 AM

In 2014, it will likely be a tea party year, so there is a chance without Obama running, and given the political environment, there may well be enough people who will vote Republican to make it happen.

I agree with you Collins that lack of presidential ticket should provide some hope.

jkob
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
wonder if Schweitzer will run

oyarde
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
wonder if Schweitzer will run

I think a guy named Corey Stapleton , maybe State Senate is running for that seat ( GOP).

supermario21
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Schwetizer running poses an interesting Q for Dems. Do they support him because he's popular or do they find a true liberal because Schweitzer's gun control stances are, to the left anyway, far right? There are some quotes attributed to him that are almost Alex Jones on Piers Morgan sounding.

T.hill
04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
ht tp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235304578440651803014518.html

Wonder if Chuck Baldwin will run.

RPfan1992
04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Do you guys think that the former democrat governor will run for his seat? According to the polls on Wikipedia he seems very popular.

supermario21
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Do you guys think that the former democrat governor will run for his seat? According to the polls on Wikipedia he seems very popular.

I think OFA will push someone to the left of Schweitzer. Baucus took lots of heat for voting against Toomey-Manchin, yet Schweitzer has said things about guns along the lines of what Alex Jones would say. If he doesn't run, it's a sure pickup for Republicans, if he does, it will be close (he'll be the slight favorite).

pulp8721
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM

If Schweitzer runs, the seat will probably be his. He's an interesting combo: Pro-2nd Amendment, Anti-Real ID, Pro Single Payer Health Care, supposedly college grads rose 3% under his terms.

Wonder if Chuck Baldwin will run.

No. I like Chuck, but the media will tear his past to shreds. You think Todd Akin was bad?

TaftFan
04-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Jerry 'O Neil (State Rep and former State Senator) needs to run.

TaftFan
04-23-2013, 02:26 PM
We should run Jerry 'O Neil.

From 2000-2008 he served in the state Senate, since 2010 he has served in the state House.

He is the guy that demanded he be paid in gold and silver. Chuck Baldwin endorsed him as well.

Matt Collins
04-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Bastiat's The Law
04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
We should definitely run someone, I have my doubts the preacher could win a statewide election.

compromise
04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Possible liberty candidates:

Former State Rep. Rick Jore
State Rep. and Former State Sen. Jerry O' Neill
Former State Sen. Aubyn Curtiss
Former State Rep. Roger Koopman
Former US Rep. Denny Rehberg

Matt Collins
04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Wonder if Chuck Baldwin will run.He'd have to run as a Republican, otherwise he'd just be a spoiler. And he'd have to be willing to do what his campaign consultants tell him to do in order to win.

compromise
04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
He'd have to run as a Republican, otherwise he'd just be a spoiler. And he'd have to be willing to do what his campaign consultants tell him to do in order to win.

What about Chuck's son? Isn't he a Republican?

jkob
04-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I think Schweitzer will run and will have full backing from Dems regardless of his token conservative positions. They're less concerned with having a "progressive" candidate than they are winning and maintaining control of the senate. Plus lets see how those positions hold up when he's in Washington; remember Joe Manchin ran on being a pro-second amendment, repealing Obamacare, and literally shooting the cap and trade bill.

Matt Collins
04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
What about Chuck's son? Isn't he a Republican?Tim Baldwin ran for state legislature last time and lost pretty badly.

T.hill
04-23-2013, 03:44 PM
He'd have to run as a Republican, otherwise he'd just be a spoiler. And he'd have to be willing to do what his campaign consultants tell him to do in order to win.

Running as a Republican, do you think he will have the best chance out of any speculative liberty candidates?

Anti-Neocon
04-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Schweitzer will probably win, and he's not terrible either. It'd be nice to get a liberty candidate in there, but it's not going to be Baldwin and there's just so many other races that seem to be worth more effort. The one positive about Montana is that it is a very lowly populated state, so every dollar raised for a liberty candidate can potentially be much more effective than elsewhere. Yes, the Dems realize that too but there reaches a saturation point where additional advertising doesn't really help all that much.

Bastiat's The Law
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Tim Baldwin ran for state legislature last time and lost pretty badly.
This is so.

Michael Landon
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Baldwin is my choice and I would happily donate to his campaign.

- ML

DrHendricks
04-23-2013, 08:19 PM
I seem to recall Rehberg's name getting thrown around a few times. What are his liberty qualifications?

TaftFan
04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
I seem to recall Rehberg's name getting thrown around a few times. What are his liberty qualifications?
He's not a liberty candidate, though Paul supported him.

supermario21
04-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Rehberg would have likely won but the Democrats propped up a "libertarian" and ran attack ads from the libertarian point of view saying Rehberg wasn't conservative enough. Definitely showed Ron's/Rand's endorsements aren't all powerful. The libertarian ended up getting 6% of the vote...

Bastiat's The Law
04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Rehberg would have likely won but the Democrats propped up a "libertarian" and ran attack ads from the libertarian point of view saying Rehberg wasn't conservative enough. Definitely showed Ron's/Rand's endorsements aren't all powerful. The libertarian ended up getting 6% of the vote...
They play hardball. We should return the favor in the Sanford race and prop up the Green party candidate.

Matt Collins
04-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Running as a Republican, do you think he will have the best chance out of any speculative liberty candidates?

I don't remember that much about MT politics, but if Chuck did everything right, maybe there is potential that he had a chance. But it would be very hard to do.

compromise
04-24-2013, 03:29 AM
Rehberg is very unlikely to run again.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/rehberg-rules-out-another-run-for-office/article_0cfcef6a-55db-11e2-9db9-001a4bcf887a.html

However, had he won in 2012, he would have made a good ally in the Senate for Rand and would likely have joined the 13 hour filibuster. He was alright on some civil liberties issues.

liberalnurse
04-24-2013, 06:15 AM
I read a statement by Baucus. He said his office received 20,000 calls/emails etc. on the gun bill. 18,000 were against. He then stated that he doesn't work for Barrack Obama but for the people of MT. They are his employer. I was pleasantly surprised by his comments.

puppetmaster
04-24-2013, 07:52 AM
This should be awesome news but how did Montana ever elect this guy into office in the first place. That state seems very conservative, but I may be missing something here on their way of politics. Going to google to research more, and hell I don't even know who their other Senator is... follow his campaign money and you see how he was elected. It is relatively cheap for a lobbying group to fund campaigns for easy to buy politicians in rural areas. The sheep just do what they are spoon fed. The success rate is quite high.http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cycle=2010&type=I&cid=N00004643&newMem=N

Uriah
04-24-2013, 08:56 AM
There are now eight open seats in the US Senate elections of 2014.

South Dakota
Montana
Iowa
New Jersey
Georgia
Michigan
West Virginia
Nebraska

FSP-Rebel
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
There are now eight open seats in the US Senate elections of 2014.

South Dakota
Montana
Iowa
New Jersey
Georgia
Michigan
West Virginia
Nebraska
We need to get a quarter of those at least and shoot for half or more. Here in MI, we're doing our part at the local GOP meetings to put the ax to any competitors to JAmash by trashing their voting records now in hopes of staving off a primary. We're also working hard at getting rid of the primary system in general so hopefully this will be tackled in the next year or so.

Uriah
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
It's a waiting game in Iowa to see if Steve King runs.