PDA

View Full Version : Public Keeps Calm and Carries On; Politicians Freak Out Over Boston Bombing

Lucille
04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Public Keeps Calm and Carries On; Politicians Freak Out Over Boston Bombing
http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/22/public-keeps-calm-and-carries-on-politic

I have been struck by how calm my friends, neighbors, and the rest of my fellow Americans have been in response to the Boston bombing and aftermath. On the other hand, a lot of politicians seem to be freaking out, ramping up demands for giving increased power to the national security state apparatus. For example, on Saturday Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), John McCain (R-Ariz.), Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) and Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) issued a statement urging that the country toss the Constitution aside and treat the accused Boston Marathon bomber and American citizen Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as an "enemy combatant." In addition, Rep. King wants government agents to keep better watch on people's activities by means of more security cameras and aerial drones.

Now the Washington Post has published polling data that bolsters my anedotal experience that Americans are "keeping calm and carrying on." After the 9/11 attacks, 53 percent of Americans said that they had changed their daily plans or activities, but only 6 percent said that they had done so after the Boston bombing. Similarly, after 9/11, some 31 percent said that they had stayed home from work or had left early, whereas only 5 percent reacted that way toward the Boston bombing. In addition, 66 percent of respondents agreed that terrorists will always find a way to launch an attack.
[...]
We can only be terrorized if we let them.

Related, please tell Washington that you are not afraid: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?412154-Downsize-DC-letter-from-you-to-your-elected-officials-I-am-not-afraid

sailingaway
04-22-2013, 01:45 PM
yep. because Congress has an agenda. And it isn't one the people in normal times would be pleased with at all.