PDA

View Full Version : My wife is a 4th grade Teacher..

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
yeah, i know...the 'enemy' to some in here, but she supported Ron Paul. Anyway....today or tuesday she told me there will be a 'security breach' drill using a cop pretending to be an 'intruder' . This has me mildly concerned, but i'm not sure i should be letting my anxiety level get to high, but she is nervous about it. We both think there should be at least 2 armed 'staff' but this idea hasn't been well received in liberal town U.S.A. Washington State. Right now the Teachers are preparing students for final tests, and this 'drill' is a major distraction for that. So i post my story here. And yes, there are GUN FREE ZONE signs on the doors. I just think this drill is a fear tactic that the teachers don't need.

DGambler
04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Do parents know this is going to happen? Have they been given the option to opt-out and keep their kids at home? I would be.

I'd also ask my wife to stay home that day.

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Do parents know this is going to happen? Have they been given the option to opt-out and keep their kids at home? I would be.

I'd also ask my wife to stay home that day.

Good question. I'll ask her tonight and post her answer. Pretty sure the PTA is involved, but i'm not really sure on that either.

Also, there are other teachers a little pissed about this drill as well.

As for just staying home. Not that easy for most of the teachers because of the final exams that are coming. All the teachers in my wifes school are very dedicated to student test scores being as high as possible...i did make that suggestion to my wife about staying home, but that just made her more anxious and she almost started crying...grrrrr...:mad:

Acala
04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
It is just a matter of time before one of these ill-conceived drills ends in tragedy. Someday, somewhere, the "authorities" that think they have everything under control are going to miss something and somebody with a gun who isn't in on the drill is going to kill one of these fake intruders. Really stupid. Not to mention the needless trauma for the kids. If I were a parent I would be really unhappy.

RockEnds
04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
So the school has hired someone to come into the school and pretend he's trying to kill them? :eek:

APAT Warrior
04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
All a very bad idea.

Acala
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
So the school has hired someone to come into the school and pretend he's trying to kill them? :eek:

What could possibly go wrong?

ninepointfive
04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
TELL HER TO CALL IN FOR BOTH DAYS. DO NOT ALLOW HER TO ATTEND SCHOOL.

Too many bad things happen on drill days.

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM

yep..a cop dressed in an orange vest and hard hat carrying a clip board. Its not certain this cop will be carrying, but odds are he will. First teacher to see him is supposed to get on the PA and send the alarm out. All teachers are to lock their doors, and then cops will be going around to try and find any doors not locked. My wife said if they find any doors not locked, that teacher will get scolded...nice huh?...the more i think about this the more pissed i'm becoming. I'm think of making a few calls, but i don't want a ton of shit coming down on my wife for it....

RockEnds
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
What could possibly go wrong?

Right? Maybe they could also hire Pecos Bill to lasso them a friendly twister for their next tornado drill. Puts a whole new spin on "pretend play". Holy buckets.

APAT Warrior
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
It's desensitization of the children, plain and simple.

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM

Well if anything happens, at least its documented that i posted beforehand in here...yeah, she knows about drills becoming used for real shit. She is a little scared.

aGameOfThrones
04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
yeah, i know...the 'enemy' to some in here, but she supported Ron Paul. Anyway....today or tuesday she told me there will be a 'security breach' drill using a cop pretending to be an 'intruder' . This has me mildly concerned, but i'm not sure i should be letting my anxiety level get to high, but she is nervous about it. We both think there should be at least 2 armed 'staff' but this idea hasn't been well received in liberal town U.S.A. Washington State. Right now the Teachers are preparing students for final tests, and this 'drill' is a major distraction for that. So i post my story here. And yes, there are GUN FREE ZONE signs on the doors. I just think this drill is a fear tactic that the teachers don't need.

If elected as a congressman, I promise to propose a bill where every homeowner be required to participate in a "security breach drill" in their home. I will call this bill, Security Against Future Encroachment(SAFE) Act.

Penalty for not participating will be included on a Future amendment "not yet written".

RockEnds
04-22-2013, 11:55 AM
yep..a cop dressed in an orange vest and hard hat carrying a clip board. Its not certain this cop will be carrying, but odds are he will. First teacher to see him is supposed to get on the PA and send the alarm out. All teachers are to lock their doors, and then cops will be going around to try and find any doors not locked. My wife said if they find any doors not locked, that teacher will get scolded...nice huh?...the more i think about this the more pissed i'm becoming. I'm think of making a few calls, but i don't want a ton of shit coming down on my wife for it....

My daughter's grandma is a teacher. This is her last year. She was really shook because they had a false intruder alert the day after Sandy Hook. Maintenance mistake. She's been counting the days. I think if they came up with this at her school, she might just go home a month early.

I homeschool, but I really feel for teachers whose livelihood depends upon playing these crazy new games.

Lucille
04-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Well if anything happens, at least its documented that i posted beforehand in here...yeah, she knows about drills becoming used for real shit. She is a little scared.

It's not worth the risk. She should stay home and to hell with testing. And you guys are not the enemy!

jbauer
04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

I think we should hire burglars and rapists and have them go into the PTA's members houses at random times.

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 12:06 PM
It's not worth the risk. She should stay home and to hell with testing. And you guys are not the enemy!

She's very dedicated to her students. She said she could get a sub, but she's going to get it over with and go anyway....

comply, then grieve. Here's hoping she comes home ok.

jbauer
04-22-2013, 12:08 PM
It's desensitization of the children, plain and simple.

Yup, similar to duck and cover drills in the 60s. You know because your desk is going to provide defense from nuclear fallout. Regan needed his starwars. All he had to do was ship a freighter of kids desks over to the USSR.

dannno
04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Too late to plan a field trip?

jbauer
04-22-2013, 12:10 PM
She's very dedicated to her students. She said she could get a sub, but she's going to get it over with and go anyway....

End of the day its the kids that matter to her. Having her not be there wont make the kids anymore safe or unsafe. Its just a stupid exercise. The ONLY thing I'd worry about would be if somehow the information leaked to someone who had bad intentions. Just imagine.

tangent4ronpaul
04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
End of the day its the kids that matter to her. Having her not be there wont make the kids anymore safe or unsafe. Its just a stupid exercise. The ONLY thing I'd worry about would be if somehow the information leaked to someone who had bad intentions. Just imagine.

You mean like the FBI?

Got a tazer?

But 4th graders, hu? 4th graders are armed to the teeth!

Give them a class on improvised weapons... bubble soap, marbles, jacks, spit wad shooters... show some "Home Alone" movies for inspiration.

You could also follow DHS advice and bean the cop with a fire extinguisher. If they have fire hose, as some schools do - you've got a water cannon. After the kids "Gulliver" the cop, bubblegum and dandelion the SOB!

Oh, and don't forget some sharpies...

:D

-t

bunklocoempire
04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd bring some cardboard to that fourth grade class, involve the kids in a small arms drawing activity, cut the pictures out for them, pass the fake arms back to the kids and wait until the "fake" intruder shows his face and then "light him up".

When the administrative shit hits the fan explain to the kids why they're not allowed to protect themselves.:(

Might as well learn the truth when you're at school.

lol tangent4ronpaul has this covered already.:o

tangent4ronpaul
04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
a couple of layers of cardboard plus a ton of rubber bands might do just the trick!

-t

mad cow
04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Duck And Cover!!
Don't Wait!!!
Listen To Bert The Turtle!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I

The more things change...

Anti Federalist
04-22-2013, 12:37 PM

This!

mczerone
04-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Govt schools work!

(Not for growing young minds into being leaders, but for growing passive little serfs that are scared into complete compliance to arbitrary authority)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-22-2013, 12:38 PM
It is just a matter of time before one of these ill-conceived drills ends in tragedy.

I think they're already a tragedy.

Kids have enough shit to worry about, like bullying, testing, school "resource officers," random lockdowns, and drug sniffing dogs.

surf
04-22-2013, 12:42 PM

good for her. it may take someone with a bit of sensibility and responsibility to keep things "in control." if I were her i'd let the kids know this was a drill first so they don't freak out. 4th graders... there are probably first graders here, huh?

what district/city (school)?

if you don't want to tell, I understand.

tangent4ronpaul
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
I think they're already a tragedy.

Kids have enough shit to worry about, like bullying, testing, school "resource officers," random lockdowns, and drug sniffing dogs.

Meat balls laced with benadril? (sp?)

-t

Acala
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
good for her. it may take someone with a bit of sensibility and responsibility to keep things "in control." if I were her i'd let the kids know this was a drill first so they don't freak out. 4th graders... there are probably first graders here, huh?

That's the ticket! Warn the kids so they won't be scared.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Meat balls laced with benadril? (sp?)

-t

I'd go with doughnuts, seeing that the dogs themselves aren't really the problem.

I find it interesting that public schools need a constant police presence, and private schools don't. Operating on market principles... if that were something needed, it would likely be done inadequately by public schools, and you'd have private schools yammering on about how many police they can stuff into their buildings. Never seen it, personally.

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 12:53 PM

its a k-6 school. I don't thinking posting the district would be a good idea, but hell, if shit hits the fan at the school over this, it will make news anyway.

heavenlyboy34
04-22-2013, 01:00 PM

This, says I!!! ^^

MRK
04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
there will be a 'security breach' drill using a cop pretending to be an 'intruder' .

What could go wrong?

CPUd
04-22-2013, 01:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nSyXtGT.jpg

DGambler
04-22-2013, 01:02 PM
its a k-6 school. I don't thinking posting the district would be a good idea, but hell, if shit hits the fan at the school over this, it will make news anyway.

Don't post the district, I wouldn't.

Eagles' Wings
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Too many bad things happen on drill days.Read through the posts thus far and this was/is my gut reaction.

As a parent of a kid in public school, I would support any teacher who did not participate in this. My kid would be safe at home.

tangent4ronpaul
04-22-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Emergency/default.aspx

(click through links at URL for documents)

Emergency Preparedness

Safe School Plans legislation requires that all schools have the following emergency drills:

6 fire evacuation drills per school year
1 lockdown drill per school year
1 shelter-in-place drill per school year
1 high-risk event drill—earthquake, tsunami, lahar, flood)—every month
1 drill using the school mapping system per school year

Defining Emergency Terms for Schools is a 5-minute video tutorial (YouTube) for Washington schools to assist them in their preparedness efforts.

The Emergency Plan Checklist (PDF) outlines the actions to take for shelter-in-place, full/modified lockdown, and inclement weather/other emergencies.

The OSPI School Safety Planning Manual defines and explains these emergency drills and exercises, and offers the following downloads:

Modified Lockdown Template
Full Lockdown Template
Shelter-in-Place Template
Initial Guidance on Drills
Model Emergency Drill Reporting Form

Great Washington ShakeOut! Statewide Earthquake Drill
Get ready! The Great Washington ShakeOut, a multi-state earthquake drill, is coming. On October 17, 2013, at 10:17 (10/17 at 10:17) in the morning, thousands of Washington residents will “Drop, Cover and Hold On” in the Great Washington ShakeOut. Learn more and register your school/district to participate, today!

What to do to Make it Through Drawing Contest
The “What to do to Make it Through” campaign invites students to participate in a drawing contest to raise awareness about the importance of preparing for natural disasters. The contest is open to elementary school students in King, Kitsap, Island, Mason, Pierce, Skagit, Snohomish and Thurston counties. For more information.

NIMS & ICS - School Preparedness

Presentation (PDF)
Resources (PDF)

Active Shooter Preparedness
Active Shooter: What You Can Do (FEMA Course)
FEMA offers free course curriculum that provides guidance to individuals, including managers and employees, so that they can prepare to respond to an active shooter situation. Resources include an instructor's guide, PowerPoint presentation for the classroom, and much more.

Active Shooter Pocket Card
Provided by the Department of Homeland Security, this pocket card is free for printing and distributing.

Weather Preparedness
Climate Prediction Center, The National Weather Service

September is Weather Radio Awareness Month (PDF)
Advisory: Fall/Winter 2011/2012 La Nina Watch (Available in Spanish)
Extended Fall Weather (PDF)

Natural Disaster Preparedness
Emergency Management Division: It is the mission of the Washington Emergency Management Department to minimize the impact of emergencies and disasters on the people, property, environment, and economy of Washington State.

Emergency Management Information - 2012: To help ensure student, staff and school safety, the Washington EMD encourages us all to continue our efforts to protect families, homes, communities, and schools from disasters. The attached flier provides information on upcoming EMD events, including the “Great Shake Out” in October, 2012.
Emergency Management Division Flier (PDF)
Washington State School Seismic Safety Pilot, July 2011 (PDF)
Publications and Activities for Children and Classrooms (PDF)
National Preparedness Month (PDF)
Educator Memo 2011
WMD In Focus In Focus provides information and resources to help schools in their responsibility to educate and train students and staff in effective disaster preparedness behaviors. Disaster News This site provides emergency public information from the Washington Emergency Management Division.
Seismic Safety in Washington: Information on geologic hazards across the state to identify our earthquake threats and the most accurate, credible, and up-to-date scientific earthquake information to the public and emergency management community.
Tsunami This sites provides tips and information about tsunamis and tsunami preparedness.

Natural Disasters & Severe Weather
This Web site is the Centers for Disease Control and prevention’s information and resources site for preparing for and responding to natural disasters and severe weather conditions.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
04-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Learn something every day - I'd never heard of a Lahar...

Lahar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the Sumerian god, see Lahar (god). For the town in India, see Lahar (India).
A lahar from the 1982 eruption of Galunggung.

A lahar /ˈlɑːhɑr/ is a type of mudflow or debris flow composed of a slurry of pyroclastic material, rocky debris, and water. The material flows down from a volcano, typically along a river valley.[1] Lahars are extremely destructive: they can flow tens of meters per second, be 140 metres (460 ft) deep, and destroy any structures in their path. Notable lahars include those at Nevado del Ruiz and Mount Pinatubo, each of which killed thousands of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahar

-t

Kodaddy
04-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Why aren't classroom doors already locked during the day? Is there a lot of comings and goings during class time these days?

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Why aren't classroom doors already locked during the day? Is there a lot of comings and goings during class time these days?

some do some don't. Some even leave doors open. My wife keeps hers closed and locked while in session. Note here. Kids go out for recess on nice days..not raining or snowing...just sayin'...

Acala
04-22-2013, 02:29 PM
She's very dedicated to her students.

My former GF is a third grade public school teacher and a Ron Paul supporter. She falls in love with her class every year, even the kids that are very difficult. I doubt that she could abandon them and stay home for her own safety. On the contrary, she would probably throw herself in front of her kids if they were attacked. That's one of the reasons she is such a good teacher.

WhistlinDave
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Good question. I'll ask her tonight and post her answer. Pretty sure the PTA is involved, but i'm not really sure on that either.

Also, there are other teachers a little pissed about this drill as well.

As for just staying home. Not that easy for most of the teachers because of the final exams that are coming. All the teachers in my wifes school are very dedicated to student test scores being as high as possible...i did make that suggestion to my wife about staying home, but that just made her more anxious and she almost started crying...grrrrr...:mad:

If you can't convince her to stay home, do you know anyone you could borrow a kevlar vest from? (I'm being totally serious.) Also, if she goes to work that day, she really needs to take a video camera with her, preferably something like an iPhone or other smart phone that allows direct Internet upload. If I were her, I would. (Actually if I were her I would suddenly come down with a debilitating flu. But I mean if she absolutely insists on going to work that day.)

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
UPDATE: wife just called to tell me the drill is completed. No problems other than the teacher who spotted the 'perp 1st...the 6' 6'' male gym teacher...forgot to say it was a drill over the PA because he hadn't been paying attention at the meeting and didn't know to say it was a drill...soo, the cop tazed him and took him away...just kiddin'...

To answer the question if parents knew this was coming...yes..there was an opt out, but no one did...

Anywho..i'm relieved, my wife is relieved and according to my wife, all the other teachers are glad its over...

Thanks for all the concern and advice all you guys gave...

ok...back to reality..

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
My former GF is a third grade public school teacher and a Ron Paul supporter. She falls in love with her class every year, even the kids that are very difficult. I doubt that she could abandon them and stay home for her own safety. On the contrary, she would probably throw herself in front of her kids if they were attacked. That's one of the reasons she is such a good teacher.

Good description of standard teacher behavior, in my experience.

UPDATE: wife just called to tell me the drill is completed. No problems other than the teacher who spotted the 'perp 1st...the 6' 6'' male gym teacher...forgot to say it was a drill over the PA because he hadn't been paying attention at the meeting and didn't know to say it was a drill...soo, the cop tazed him and took him away...just kiddin'...

To answer the question if parents knew this was coming...yes..there was an opt out, but no one did...

Anywho..i'm relieved, my wife is relieved and according to my wife, all the other teachers are glad its over...

Thanks for all the concern and advice all you guys gave...

ok...back to reality..

Glad everything is ok. I'm surprised and happy to hear there was an opt-out, and a little shocked that no one did. I sure would.

Tinnuhana
04-22-2013, 03:45 PM
First time we had a lockdown, people came around and shook doorknobs. The school got a poor grade because a student in one room yelled, "There's nobody in here!" Thing is, the "cops" here are uually parents. Biggest problem is being ready to cover the windows into the hallway so peopole can't look in.

PaulConventionWV
04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Why would a fourth grade teacher be my enemy or anyone's? Just because the school system happens to have been hijacked by the government, that doesn't mean good teachers can't exist.

PaulConventionWV
04-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Yes, there is. Kids are late for class, kids leave to go to the restroom, kids leave early. Teachers have to leave temporarily.

PaulConventionWV
04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
How do these drills even work? What could the teachers possibly do with a fake shooter that they couldn't do without one?

tangent4ronpaul
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
How do these drills even work? What could the teachers possibly do with a fake shooter that they couldn't do without one?

Enable the school district to milk DHS program funds to do this kind of BS?

Serious answer? - pack a CCW!

Actually, both answers are serious. Your tax dollars at work...

-t

angelatc
04-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Whats the point of doing this, exactly? I say bring bear spray.

Lindsey
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM

This.

RabbitMan
04-22-2013, 06:11 PM
This is just a political stunt that the schoolboard or principal is mandating to show that they are doing proper 'disaster prep' in the wake of all these shootings. Nothing to get worked up about people, good lord. I live in Seattle, and the schools here are a little desperate these days to show that they are trying to do the right thing in the wake of some scandals/massive screw ups the past few years.

satchelmcqueen
04-22-2013, 09:16 PM
this is bullshit. why on earth would they want to scare the kids. or make the teachers do this? i work at a school and if this EVER comes across to be done, i will go straight to the top and voice my views. then the news paper. theres no need to scare the hell out of the kids. why do the cops get to pretend to be an intruder? i just dont get it. if they told the kids ahead of time that a mock drill was going to hap;pen, that would be different. but to have kids think that at any moment they might get killed is disgusting. sounds like cruel punishment or mental abuse to me.

Carson
04-22-2013, 09:41 PM

Certainly the kids don't.

Carson
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM

If she is in a situation where she has had her right to keep and bear arms infringed upon it may be better to, see no evil, hear no evil, or report any evil. It's tough call getting involved without those rights. The police can't protect you. Look at all of the law enforcement agencies at the marathon. What are you going to do home alone waiting for the suspects case to role around again in court. There are reasons for such things in the foundation of our country.

Nothing like waiting for that giggle!!!!!

Sorry about you being pissed. I don't blame you and I apologize for making it worse. Maybe when we cool off we could think of something sensible in response. Like maybe it coinciding with early American fort day, preparing for an Indian attack, and the door left wide open.

P.S. Or waiting for settlers to attack the Indian village. Little bows and suction cup arrows are still cool. Are they not?

JK/SEA
04-22-2013, 10:19 PM
this is bullshit. why on earth would they want to scare the kids. or make the teachers do this? i work at a school and if this EVER comes across to be done, i will go straight to the top and voice my views. then the news paper. theres no need to scare the hell out of the kids. why do the cops get to pretend to be an intruder? i just dont get it. if they told the kids ahead of time that a mock drill was going to hap;pen, that would be different. but to have kids think that at any moment they might get killed is disgusting. sounds like cruel punishment or mental abuse to me.

The kids were told what was going to happen. My wife was proud of her kids today as she said they were very very quiet until the all clear....Something tells me this type of drill will be getting some 'feed back' from pissed teachers. Will see.

Carson
04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
The kids were told what was going to happen. My wife was proud of her kids today as she said they were very very quiet until the all clear....Something tells me this type of drill will be getting some 'feed back' from pissed teachers. Will see.

I'm glad everything went as well as could be expected.

I was thinking today; What would John Wayne do?

One option we have is to go along with whatever they say, though it could speed up the process of them eventually bankrupting us monetarily and morally sooner. Perhaps then when they finally do come to us for help we can send for those Three Amigo guys and they can help us find our Ka-hone-ays.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhyso0S4Iw1qzl7y6o1_500.gif

tangent4ronpaul
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM

See post 38.
This was shoved down the schools throats by the state legislature who was probably being bribed by the Federal Department of Education and/or DHS.

Safe School Plans legislation requires that all schools have the following emergency drills:

It's to "keep the children safe"... :rolleyes:

-t

Carson
04-23-2013, 04:31 PM
See post 38.
This was shoved down the schools throats by the state legislature who was probably being bribed by the Federal Department of Education and/or DHS.

It's to "keep the children safe"... :rolleyes:

-t

And prepare the population for Boston type lock-downs. I bet a lot of people in Watertown wish they had of been sleeping with their cloths on.

P.S. Boston type lock-down or perhaps some form of slaughter.

Carson
04-24-2013, 04:56 PM
I think we should have mentioned how bad this must be for the policeman that has to do it,

Being a cop seems to me to be a mind messing job to begin with without have to pull this on a bunch of kids.