PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post by Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on UMD blog...

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 06:26 AM
I found this interesting and thought I would throw it in the mix...

http://umdfyebookblink.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/thin-slicing-turns-tragic/#comment-1877

Thin Slicing Turns Tragic
Filed under: Uncategorized by shelaghmsmith — 269 Comments August 19, 2011
For the past several weeks, we’ve discussed thin-slicing as it pertains to academic life; my colleague Professor Whittingham has also discussed the Amadou Diallou case, when thin-slicing and race collided to result in tragedy. Today I want to discuss a case that has been going on for the past 18 years, a case where thin-slicing had similar tragic consequences based on nothing more than the way three teenagers dressed and the music they liked.

In 1993, three eight year old boys were murdered in West Memphis, Arkansas. Within days, the police had arrested three teenagers for the crime – Jesse Misskelley, Jason Baldwin, and Damien Echols. When the police were asked to rate, on a scale of 1-10, how confident they were that these three had committed the crimes, they responded, “Eleven!” The whole town cheered.

It came out during the trial that these three young men were picked up by police because they were “odd.” Damien Echols had a funny first name, a name he chose because, police claimed, he wanted to be Damian from the Omen horror movies. (He actually chose the name to honor Father Damien, the Catholic priest who worked in Hawaii with the lepers – Father Damien was later sainted by the Catholic church.)
Damien and Jesse and Jason also liked heavy metal music – Metallica, to be exact. They wore black clothes. Damien was Goth before Goth was popular. He had long hair. He acted “funny.”

These three were peculiar. They were scary. They were different. In West Memphis, Arkansas, with no physical evidence to tie these three to the crimes, that was enough to arrest them for murder.
All three were convicted. Jason and Jessie got life sentences; Damien Echols was sentenced to death row.

Today, eighteen years, two HBO documentaries, and one investigative book later, Damien, Jesse, and Jason were set free. They walked out of jail today as free men. Here’s what Damien looks like now:

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
August 31, 2011 at 11:42 pm
In this case it would have been hard to protect or defend these young boys if the whole town exclaimed in happiness at the arrest. Also, to go against the authorities isn’t the easiest thing to do. Don’t get me wrong though, I am appalled at the situation but I think that the town was scared and desperate to blame someone. It’s because of stories like this and such occurrences that make a positive change in this world. I’m pretty sure there won’t be anymore similar tales like this. In any case, if they do, people won’t stand quiet, i hope.

squarepusher
04-22-2013, 07:23 AM
what is significant about this? Shouldn't we be remembering the victims of the crimes?

jmdrake
04-22-2013, 07:28 AM
what is significant about this? Shouldn't we be remembering the victims of the crimes?

Have you been appointed to tell others what they should be doing?

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 07:28 AM

STFU. Obviously, this post wasn't meant for you.

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Also of interest is that this happened in 2011. Is it possible to make a radical change in that amount of time? Certainly it is. There was a radical change in Tamerlan's wife it would seem.

Katherine Russell, the widow of Boston bomb suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was 'an all-American girl who was brainwashed' by her extremist husband according to one schoolfriend.
Today MailOnline has gained the first glimpse and pictures of the early life of the woman who, according to those who knew her best, was 'totally transformed' by Tsarnaev.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312588/Boston-bombing-EXCLUSIVE-How-Katherine-Russell-Muslim-convert-widow-Tamerlan-Tsarnaev.html#ixzz2RCP7nV74
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

jmdrake
04-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Never mind him. He's been playing "thought police" lately. One think to bear in mind. In all of these cases the powers that be want us only thinking about the victims. That's the point Rand Paul was making when he said Obama was using the Sandy Hook victims as a "prop". Whether this was a false flag, or "sting operation gone bad", or "missed intelligence", or just a random event, the last thing we need to do is to bury our heads in the sand and just "think about the victims." Because the rest of society is about to be victimized by whatever legislation will be proposed in response to this tragedy.

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Also of interest is that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, though a promising student that received a scholarship, failed to make the grade at college. This would also suggest a radical change in a short period of time.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-was-failing-many-college-courses

Dzhokhar might have done well academically in high school, but according to a university transcript reviewed by The New York Times, he was failing many of his college classes. The transcript shows him receiving seven failing grades over two semesters in 2012 and 2013, including F’s in Principles of Modern Chemistry, Intro American Politics, and Chemistry and the Environment. According to the transcript, Dzhokhar received a B in Critical Writing and a D and D-plus in two other courses.

Brett85
04-22-2013, 08:13 AM

You should know you're not allowed to be reasonable here. :)

ClydeCoulter
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
You should know you're not allowed to be reasonable here. :)

Because they are guilty until/unless proven innocent. Everyone in the media and government is telling us the truth. /sarc

We can't change what has happened, the police and everyone else is doing something (or not) after the fact. Where are we headed?

One thing that this is starting play out like is that "you really can't tell who is dangerous, without a thorough examination by an expert", kind of thing.

Brett85
04-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Because they are guilty until/unless proven innocent. Everyone in the media and government is telling us the truth. /sarc

We can't change what has happened, the police and everyone else is doing something (or not) after the fact. Where are we headed?

One thing that this is starting play out like is that "you really can't tell who is dangerous, without a thorough examination by an expert", kind of thing.

I'm not saying that the suspect is guilty until proven innocent and shouldn't receive a trial. But, I think that squarepushere raised a valid point, which is that no one here seems to be remembering and talking about the victims and what they and their families went through.

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm not saying that the suspect is guilty until proven innocent and shouldn't receive a trial. But, I think that squarepushere raised a valid point, which is that no one here seems to be remembering and talking about the victims and what they and their families went through.

squarepusher is free to start a thread on the victims and their families if he feels so inclined. Obviously, he doesn't. You too could start a thread if that is your inclination.

squarepusher
04-22-2013, 06:24 PM
squarepusher is free to start a thread on the victims and their families if he feels so inclined. Obviously, he doesn't. You too could start a thread if that is your inclination.

You still didn't post what was significant about the passage he wrote. What I think you are doing, is implying that there is no evidence against the bombers, and they are being framed by 'the town' or the government just as a scape goat or to pin the blame on someone. In reality, there are tons of camera and video evidence showing these guys place the bombs, as well as extremist Islam which is known to do this type of attacks. The older one beat his wife and wouldn't let her go outside without wearing a hijab, sounds like extremist to me. Or maybe the FBI set that up too?

The older son is also now being linked to an unsolved triple murder in 2011 on some apparent drug dealers, where he almost cuts off their heads. Are you defending these kids, why so?

Brett85
04-22-2013, 06:31 PM
You still didn't post what was significant about the passage he wrote. What I think you are doing, is implying that there is no evidence against the bombers, and they are being framed by 'the town' or the government just as a scape goat or to pin the blame on someone. In reality, there are tons of camera and video evidence showing these guys place the bombs, as well as extremist Islam which is known to do this type of attacks. The older one beat his wife and wouldn't let her go outside without wearing a hijab, sounds like extremist to me. Or maybe the FBI set that up too?

The thing about it is that every single American citizen deserves a trial, and our legal system is supposed to treat suspects as innocent until proven guilty. But that doesn't mean that you and I can't have an opinion about whether the suspect is guilty or not. My opinion is certainly that the suspect is guilty. A lot of people who post here seem to think that if you have a personal opinion that the suspect is guilty then you don't believe in the right to a trial and the right to be innocent until proven guilty. They can't seem to understand that there's a difference between how the legal system should treat this suspect and the personal opinions that we all have about whether the suspect is innocent or guilty.

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 06:33 PM

The older son is also now being linked to an unsolved triple murder in 2011 on some apparent drug dealers, where he almost cuts off their heads. Are you defending these kids, why so?

I just thought it was an interesting post from a period less than two years ago. Followed up by the info regarding Tamerlan's wife it would tend to point towards Tamerlan being a very skilled manipulator.

better-dead-than-fed
04-22-2013, 06:35 PM

What value is that evidence absent any opportunity for the defendant to cross-examine the witnesses against him and to present his own evidence?

ClydeCoulter
04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't care about personal opinions about the suspect. I do care whether someone gets a fair shake. I hate seeing the innocent suffer. (Did I say they are innocent, no, did I say that those that suffered in the blast weren't innocent, no, but fire away).

jmdrake
04-22-2013, 06:40 PM

You and squarepusher are free to start as many threads as you like to talk about the victims, their families, and what they went through. The web is bursting with that information.

JJ2
04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
The thing about it is that every single American citizen deserves a trial, and our legal system is supposed to treat suspects as innocent until proven guilty. But that doesn't mean that you and I can't have an opinion about whether the suspect is guilty or not. My opinion is certainly that the suspect is guilty. A lot of people who post here seem to think that if you have a personal opinion that the suspect is guilty then you don't believe in the right to a trial and the right to be innocent until proven guilty. They can't seem to understand that there's a difference between how the legal system should treat this suspect and the personal opinions that we all have about whether the suspect is innocent or guilty.

Then how are they supposed to find an unbiased jury? The citizens are the legal system.

Brett85
04-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Then how are they supposed to find an unbiased jury? The citizens are the legal system.

That's why they have to ask questions to determine who is biased and who is unbiased. If they asked me, I would just openly admit that I'm biased, and they wouldn't end up picking me to be on the jury. The people picking the jury have to do a good job of determining how to find citizens who don't have any bias in this case. Admittedly, that is hard to do in a case like this.

Slutter McGee
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM

It is a message board. We get to respond where ever we damn well please. At least until a moderator asks us to cut it out.

Slutter McGee

phill4paul
04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
It is a message board. We get to respond where ever we damn well please. At least until a moderator asks us to cut it out.

Slutter McGee

Thanks for stopping by. :rolleyes: