PDA

View Full Version : 8th Grader JAILED for wearing NRA T-shirt

Mani
04-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Ya, they locked this kid up....Kid doesn't even OWN a gun, but because he's PRO GUN...throw that kid in the fucking slammer.

Take your guys away??? Naaaa....That's not the objective at all! But don't let your children even THINK about being gun owners....If they DO...Time to throw them in PRISON, If they realize Pro-GUN = Prison, then we won't even need to take their guns away in the first place...BRILLIANT!!

Comrades...Teach this little one a lesson....He has no 1st amendment rights....he has no 2nd amendment rights....This little one needs to learn that lesson very early...

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2013/0421/Argument-over-NRA-T-shirt-gets-eighth-grader-jailed.-Dress-code-run-amok

On Thursday, the same day that the gun lobby and its supporters in Congress roundly defeated a package of gun control bills pushed by President Obama, eighth-grader Jared Marcum was suspended by Logan Middle School and briefly jailed for wearing a pro-NRA T-shirt.

The T-shirt had picture of a gun, and school officials deemed it a violation of their dress code, which bans profanity, discrimination, or violence on clothing.

Jared says the decision violates both his First Amendment right to free speech and his Second Amendment right to bear arms, and his father has vowed to "go to the ends of the earth" to clear his son's name – which could include filing federal or civil lawsuits against the district, a lawyer for the family said.

"What they're doing is trying to take away my rights, my freedom of speech, and my Second Amendment," Jared told WOWK-TV.

Jared is not the only student to face heightened sensitivity to images of guns in schools since the Newtown, Conn., massacre last December. In February, school officials at Genoa-Kingston Middle School in Illinois told a student he would be suspended if he did not turn inside-out a Marines T-shirt that showed M16 rifles.

Want your top political issues explained? Get customized DC Decoder updates.

The question of what messages or images public schools can ban under dress codes has evolved in recent decades.

In the landmark 1969 case, Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, the Supreme Court ruled that students could wear black armbands to school to protest the Vietnam War. Students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech at the schoolhouse gate,” the court said.

But those rights have been refined and narrowed in the years since. In 2010, a federal appeals court found that a school had not violated the Constitution when it banned a student from wearing a T-shirt with “Freedom of Speech” printed on the front and the text of the First Amendment on the back. The dress code at Waxahachie High School in Texas banned all messages on T-shirts, making the ban content neutral.

In other cases, the court has allowed school officials to prohibit student speech that is sexually explicit, lewd, or indecent, or that advocates illegal drug use.

In West Virginia, Jared was told to stay home from school on Friday, and several friends who wore T-shirts with images of guns on them to school as a sign of solidarity were told to take them off. The day before, a dispute between Jared and a Logan Middle School teacher resulted in Jared being arrested and charged with obstruction and disturbing the education process, WOWK reported.

Jared says he has received Facebook posts and phone calls from across the country supporting him. "People are saying that I did the right thing, that they're proud," Jared told WOWK.

Coincidentally, the senator whose bipartisan compromise on expanded background checks of gun purchases was defeated Thursday – prompting Mr. Obama to rail against pro-gun senators and to call the gun lobby liars – also hails from West Virginia. Sen. Joe Manchin (D) previously had an "A" rating from the NRA.

asurfaholic
04-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Rock on kid. Sounds like he has great support.

And rock on dad, awesome kid you raised.

Keith and stuff
04-21-2013, 09:46 PM
No problem with starting a thread in this section of the forum but we talked about this in the bearing arms section. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?411854-8th-Grader-Arrested-Suspended-for-NRA-%91Protect-Your-Right%92-T-Shirt-With-Image-of-Gun

Anti Federalist
04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Free country.

Mani
04-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Free country.

Just follow the rules comrade...and of course you are free...

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
What does briefly jailed mean? Briefly put into an actual jail cell at the local police department? If that's the case, the school administrator(s) responsible should briefly retain their jobs to collect their belongings and GTFO. I've done worse shit in school that I only got a "Don't do that." for. During my generation going to jail because of something in school was uncalled for.

J_White
04-21-2013, 11:41 PM
wonderful !

fr33
04-22-2013, 01:03 AM
It sounds like they took him to jail because he argued with his teacher. That's what happens when the slaves get uppity.

CPUd
04-22-2013, 01:48 AM
When I was in 8th grade, they used to make us turn our hair metal t-shirts inside out. They didn't call the cops for arguing with the teacher. They just took the kid out in the hall and told him to grab his ankles so they could pop him a few times with a board.

MRK
04-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Just follow the rules comrade...and of course you are free...

... to do as we tell you.

:D