PDA

View Full Version : US Military Patrolling Fenway Park

angelatc
04-20-2013, 02:27 PM
So much for the "no troops on American soil" law.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA_MARATHON_BOMBING_BOSTON_SPORTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Bomb-sniffing dogs and military in camouflage fatigues joined the police patrolling the ballpark, and long lines of fans waited to be scanned by metal-detecting wands. Many were still waiting to get in when the Red Sox and Kansas City Royals lined up along the base-lines for the pregame ceremony.

FSP-Rebel
04-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah, they cut away from the Tiger's game in the 2nd inning for Neil Diamond's performance of "Sweet Caroline" at the Sox game that was just awful. Of course, didn't really matter since Porcello's luck today was at an all time low giving up 9 runs in the 1st damn inning. We're serving up free RBIs today folks! Meanwhile, our hot boys are cold again.

juleswin
04-20-2013, 02:33 PM
I think someone was saying the that army looking officers are actually FBI agents. As far as I know they are not military but army looking LEO

Dr.3D
04-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I think someone was saying the that army looking officers are actually FBI agents. As far as I know they are not military but army looking LEO

OP was just going by what was said in the fourth paragraph of the article. How are we to know who they are? If they are dressed like military, perhaps they are military. I always wonder why LEO would need camouflage uniforms.

RockEnds
04-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Could be state guard/militia, too.

juleswin
04-20-2013, 02:43 PM
OP was just going by what was said in the fourth paragraph of the article. How are we to know who they are. If they are dressed like military, perhaps they are military. I always wonder why LEO would need camouflage uniforms.

Yea, might be an example of shoddy journalism. But I read somewhere that those guys in camo are actually FBI agent from some division and he proved this by showing the badge on their arms. As to why they wear camo? he didn't say

pcosmar
04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I always wonder why LEO would need camouflage uniforms.

So that you won't see them violating your rights.

:rolleyes:

tod evans
04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Does it matter which government branch is signing their check?

Government agents in full combat gear on American soil sure seems like a constitutional violation to me.

But I suppose we should all be grateful that these brave men are "protecting" us...:mad:

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Bomb-sniffing dogs and military in camouflage fatigues joined the police patrolling the ballpark, and long lines of fans waited to be scanned by metal-detecting wands. Many were still waiting to get in when the Red Sox and Kansas City Royals lined up along the base-lines for the pregame ceremony.

Whereupon thousands of fans, after duly performing their required dose of the Compliance Shuffle, with teary eyes and swelling chests, stood and loudly proclaimed, through a badly written pledge and a poorly scored song, that they were lucky to live in the Land of the Free.

Kim Jong Un wept.

kcchiefs6465
04-20-2013, 04:33 PM
So that you won't see them violating your rights.

:rolleyes:
I wish I could rep this post again.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Got it covered.

Zippyjuan
04-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Providence Journal says they were police officers.

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2013/04/extra-security-at-fenway-saturday.html

Extra security at Fenway Saturday

April 20, 2013 3:39 pm

By Tim Britton

BOSTON -- In the first game at Fenway Park since the marathon bombings, the Red Sox predictably added extra security measures on Saturday.

The team utilized more Boston police officers and Red Sox security guards than normal, although it wasn't specific on numbers. Magnetic wands were used on every fan who entered the park, whereas normally that's done on a random basis. Bomb-sniffing dogs made rounds in the park before the game, as well.

There was added surveillance in the area around the park during the game.

Fenway Park itself was swept for explosives on Monday after the bombings, again on Tuesday morning and a third time on Saturday morning.

sailingaway
04-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Is it federal or the government calling out national guard? Governors do have ability to do that although this sounds like someone with an agenda.

I agree it is not at all something I want to see.

KrokHead
04-20-2013, 07:13 PM
What if they threw a bone to the Red Sox and brought Billy Butler and Alex Gordon in for in depth questioning?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Providence Journal says they were police officers.

If it looks like military, acts like military, and uses military hardware, it's military. It's just city military, that's all.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 07:56 PM
If it looks like military, acts like military, and uses military hardware, it's military. It's just city military, that's all.

/debate on this question

brushfire
04-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Wasn't the "national guard" federalized? Its the military... Its the federal government.

ClydeCoulter
04-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Wasn't the "national guard" federalized? Its the military... Its the federal government.

If so, then the civilian militia is the only remaining resource for the states?

brushfire
04-20-2013, 08:29 PM
If so, then the civilian militia is the only remaining resource for the states?

That does seem to be the case. I know in IL you can have an "organized militia" but as I recall, you must then answer to the governor. With quinn leading IL, you might as well be directly reporting to BHO.

donnay
04-20-2013, 10:06 PM

Got it for you.

Slutter McGee
04-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Poor fans. Going though all that to watch the Royals.

Slutter McGee