PDA

View Full Version : Senator to propose bill regulating black powder

Noob
04-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Senator to propose bill regulating black powder

New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg issued a statement to the public that he intends to propose a bill or amendment to regulate black powder, and other forms of explosive components, in the wake of the Boston Marathon Massacre. The bill would demand full Federal background checks of anyone seeking to purchase the minor explosive, similar to recent attempts by Congress to require full background checks on the sale of firearms.

http://www.examiner.com/article/senator-to-propose-bill-regulating-black-power-wake-of-boston-massacre

Noob
04-20-2013, 03:43 AM
More gun control on the way.

CPUd
04-20-2013, 04:20 AM
The people who sell these may have something to say about that:
http://i.imgur.com/IoZDPEe.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
04-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Sen. Lautenberg wants background checks to buy gunpowder
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/in-the-news/2013/4/sen-lautenberg-wants-background-checks-to-buy-gunpowder.aspx

I suppose it was inevitable that, after Monday's horrific Boston bombing attack turned out to be the result of crude chemistry and hardware supplies clamped into a pressure cooker, somebody would propose restrictions on anything that can go BANG! And, strictly speaking, we should probably be thankful that, rather than limit the cooks of the nation to hot plates and sterno, Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg (D-God's Waiting Room) proposes "to require that sales of explosive powder be subject to a background check." If this profoundly silly proposal makes it into the law books, it might well slightly inconvenience the nation's reloading hobbyists, who purchase gunpowder to save money on ammunition. But there's no reason to believe it would constitute even a minor speedbump for terrorists, or that the perpetrator of Monday's horror show would have been stopped by such a check.

-t

Noob
04-20-2013, 04:40 AM
The people who sell these may have something to say about that:
http://i.imgur.com/IoZDPEe.jpg

The global warming green freaks want all fireworks to be ban.

A Son of Liberty
04-20-2013, 05:00 AM
Dammit. I should have taken the 'under'.

itshappening
04-20-2013, 05:13 AM
How abiout background checks for pressure cookers ??

phill4paul
04-20-2013, 05:19 AM
I've heard on these forums.. " What possible political reason could there be for the bombing? Conspiracy theorists a crazy!"
Well, there is a political reason right there. Just wait and see how many others materialize.

itshappening
04-20-2013, 05:23 AM
And CISPA will have an easier time in the senate/be signed by the president

i'm sure they have other stuff lined up

"Never let a crisis go to waste" is the US government's official mantra as revealed by the presidents former chief of staff and current crime boss of Chicago

osan
04-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Senator to propose bill regulating black powder

I am surprised he waited this long.

Another progressive seeking to foist evil upon the nation with his "good" intentions.

Damn them all.

KrokHead
04-20-2013, 05:30 AM
There'll probably be a lot of white powder necessary for him to stay up and draft this bill.

kathy88
04-20-2013, 05:31 AM
And CISPA will have an easier time in the senate/be signed by the president

i'm sure they have other stuff lined up

"Never let a crisis go to waste" is the US government's official mantra as revealed by the presidents former chief of staff and current crime boss of Chicago

We should make a concerted effort sometime in the next few days to get #neverletacrisisgotowaste trending, linking all the shitty legislation that has been implemented as a result of knee jerk politicians shoving shit through congress as a result...

economics102
04-20-2013, 05:35 AM
How abiout background checks for pressure cookers ??

How about background checks for cookware in general? There are some seriously lousy chefs out there. I should know, I'm one of them.

Keith and stuff
04-20-2013, 05:41 AM
It was announced that there will be a class on how to make a firearm that shoots black powder in New Hampshire at this year's Porcfest. Then this announcement of trying to ban black powder firearms comes out. Sign up for the class now.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/547597_565910746775744_169001053_n.jpg

Chris Suprock, expert machinist with a PhD in mechanical engineering from the University of New Hampshire, will provide parts and know-how for this one-of-a-kind PorcFest class in which participants build and take home a genuine .50 caliber black powder rifle.

Visit http://tinyurl.com/rifleclass for more details and registration!

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Gotta hand it to these people; they know how to stick to a script no matter who knows about it.

tangent4ronpaul
04-20-2013, 05:43 AM
There'll probably be a lot of white powder necessary for him to stay up and draft this bill.

I hear some guy in MO is sending our congress critters white powder for free!

-t

itshappening
04-20-2013, 05:45 AM
How about background checks for cookware in general? There are some seriously lousy chefs out there. I should know, I'm one of them.

I would dearly love for you to cook me a meal.

what's your specialty?

tangent4ronpaul
04-20-2013, 05:46 AM
It was announced that there will be a class on how to make a firearm that shoots black powder in New Hampshire at this year's Porcfest. Then this announcement of trying to ban black powder firearms comes out. Sign up for the class now.

Sounds like someone needs to hold a class on making black powder!

-t

osan
04-20-2013, 05:54 AM
I've heard on these forums.. " What possible political reason could there be for the bombing? Conspiracy theorists a crazy!"
Well, there is a political reason right there. Just wait and see how many others materialize.

Absolutely.

If it were the case that the indirect origins of this latest attack was in fact some agency ot element thereof in the US government, how would it ever be discovered? How would we know? We wouldn't, and because we are so heavily trained to dismiss the possibility of such things, the vast majority of Americans reject the suggestion of such things not with reason but with reflexive anger.

Why?

I will tell you why - at least in part: because they are so heavily trained to political lassitude and convenience. Were the broad mob to accept even the possibility of such things they would then be called upon by even the barest threads of reason and moral decency to act on such belief due to the accountability that naturally and unavoidably arises once such acceptance is made. That is the LAST thing the average American wants. Anything but accountability that places onus upon them to act upon issues over which they hold no desire. They want to believe in the phony baloney pablum of the so-called "American dream" because it demands so little of them. Let us not upset that apple cart - heaven forbid. By the virtue of this position, this psychological anchor, are Joe and Jane Average predisposed to render their opinions upon the suggestion that "government" is in any way imaginable responsible for such events, such evil machinations.

I just hear on the idiot box that Suspect #2 has not been read his Miranda rights. Why would this be mentioned, if not to prime the mind to cheer the notion because this guy "deserves" no such right? Just stop for a moment and consider what a monumental change it will be when the day comes, and I suspect that it will before that much longer, that the right to remain silent becomes a forgotten relic of our barbaric past.

While I will certainly not attribute this bombing as having ultimately sourced in some federal government dungeon, I will also not dismiss the possibility out of hand. Regardless, it is irrelevant because the results are the same: "never let a good crisis go to waste." The threat I fear is not the initiatory event but rather the reactions by those in power who take such cynical advantage.

A Son of Liberty
04-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Spot on. I very much appreciate your contributions, osan.

Xhin
04-20-2013, 08:11 AM
That's great, but neither of the suspected terrorists had anything on their record, soooooooooo

idirtify
04-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Be careful what you jokingly ask for. It might happen.

tasteless
04-20-2013, 08:32 AM
That's great, but neither of the suspected terrorists had anything on their record, soooooooooo

Not that I support background checks, but one had a domestic violence charge and had been investigated by the FBI for ties to extremism I believe.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 08:36 AM

No accounting for some folks.

They will use this as a vessel for all manner of restrictions on all sorts of liberties.

More tanks, more troops, more weapons in the War on Us.

More cameras, more drones, more surveillance on all of us Mundanes.

More bans, more background checks, more restrictions on all manner of chemicals, firearms, ammo and components.

affa
04-20-2013, 08:56 AM
The global warming green freaks want all fireworks to be ban.

i'm fairly certain the majority of people that are against fireworks aren't "global warming freaks" but rather concerned about the huge amount of chemicals that then rain down on the audience/ground/water.

also, it helps your own cause when you don't call people that disagree with you 'freaks'.

JK/SEA
04-20-2013, 08:56 AM
are we having fun yet?

Intoxiklown
04-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Wednesday I believe, there was an anonymous post by someone claiming to be within a government agency, claiming the Boston bombing was a set up, and that the suspects would be in their 20s, and caught Friday. He also said this incident would be used as grounds to ban / regulate powder used for ammunition and a back door approach to banning guns as a result. I was very leary of it when I saw it, until I see this thread, which was the final peice of his claim missing.

dannno
04-20-2013, 09:02 AM
I posted this a couple days ago:

I'm just going to slip this in here since it is just a rumor, but I heard from the rumormille that they are planning on making the arrest tomorrow and they are going to use the incident to push for tight regulation of reloading powder, so this will affect gun owners afterall.

The source for this was 4chan, somebody said they have been working at a company who has been working on the anti-reloading powder campaign for about a month and they had the inside track that they the campaign was ready to kick-off on Saturday.

Intoxiklown
04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
The source for this was 4chan, somebody said they have been working at a company who has been working on the anti-reloading powder campaign for about a month and they had the inside track that they the campaign was ready to kick-off on Saturday.

Interesting, Danno. Ironically, the place I saw it was on a foxnews blog (GretaWire. I know...but I love debating BOTH sides at once. It keeps me sharp....lol). So it seems like that made it's rounds, which may be a good thing.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Bravo sir and well stated.

+rep

Absolutely.

If it were the case that the indirect origins of this latest attack was in fact some agency ot element thereof in the US government, how would it ever be discovered? How would we know? We wouldn't, and because we are so heavily trained to dismiss the possibility of such things, the vast majority of Americans reject the suggestion of such things not with reason but with reflexive anger.

Why?

I will tell you why - at least in part: because they are so heavily trained to political lassitude and convenience. Were the broad mob to accept even the possibility of such things they would then be called upon by even the barest threads of reason and moral decency to act on such belief due to the accountability that naturally and unavoidably arises once such acceptance is made. That is the LAST thing the average American wants. Anything but accountability that places onus upon them to act upon issues over which they hold no desire. They want to believe in the phony baloney pablum of the so-called "American dream" because it demands so little of them. Let us not upset that apple cart - heaven forbid. By the virtue of this position, this psychological anchor, are Joe and Jane Average predisposed to render their opinions upon the suggestion that "government" is in any way imaginable responsible for such events, such evil machinations.

I just hear on the idiot box that Suspect #2 has not been read his Miranda rights. Why would this be mentioned, if not to prime the mind to cheer the notion because this guy "deserves" no such right? Just stop for a moment and consider what a monumental change it will be when the day comes, and I suspect that it will before that much longer, that the right to remain silent becomes a forgotten relic of our barbaric past.

While I will certainly not attribute this bombing as having ultimately sourced in some federal government dungeon, I will also not dismiss the possibility out of hand. Regardless, it is irrelevant because the results are the same: "never let a good crisis go to waste." The threat I fear is not the initiatory event but rather the reactions by those in power who take such cynical advantage.

angelatc
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

That's not true. The older brother had a conviction for domestic violence or something.

angelatc
04-20-2013, 09:46 AM
No accounting for some folks.

They will use this as a vessel for all manner of restrictions on all sorts of liberties.

More tanks, more troops, more weapons in the War on Us.

More cameras, more drones, more surveillance on all of us Mundanes.

More bans, more background checks, more restrictions on all manner of chemicals, firearms, ammo and components.

Sure. But there's a huge difference between them reacting to the event as opposed to staging the event.

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2013, 09:48 AM
That's not true. The older brother had a conviction for domestic violence or something.

We should make a law that says that he should have been deported for that! Oh wait, there already is that law...

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2013, 09:53 AM
In the wake of the deadly bombing attacks in Boston, U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ) today announced that he will reintroduce legislation he has proposed in a prior Congress to require that sales of explosive powder be subject to a background check. He will also file the legislation as an amendment to the gun violence prevention bill currently on the Senate floor. - Lautenberg.Senate.com

Never let a crisis go to waste. Knee-jerk statist is knee-jerk and statist.

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Wednesday I believe, there was an anonymous post by someone claiming to be within a government agency, claiming the Boston bombing was a set up, and that the suspects would be in their 20s, and caught Friday. He also said this incident would be used as grounds to ban / regulate powder used for ammunition and a back door approach to banning guns as a result. I was very leary of it when I saw it, until I see this thread, which was the final peice of his claim missing.

That would be quite a prediction except for the fact that it is entirely predictable. ;)

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Sure. But there's a huge difference between them reacting to the event as opposed to staging the event.

My default position is that there is always the strong possibility that it was a manufactured, rather than "organic" event.

I am convinced beyond any reasonable doubt of this for a number of such events, not the least of which was 9/11.

Either way, as is usually case, the ruling class treats us like bad little children, we get punished and get things taken away from us.

angelatc
04-20-2013, 10:03 AM

HOw nice to cherry pick the details that match while skipping all the misses. Here's the whole thing:

"I work on a security commission and I've just received word to start on a campaign we've been working on for the last two months and now it all makes sense.

I'll keep it as short as I can

They're going to pin this event on a male late teens to early 20s and say he did it because he's unstable. They are going to find firearms and a NRA book in his home. They are going to to say he used reloading powder for the explosion and that reloading powder shouldn't be for sale to the public. They are then going to say that because the powder in ammunition can be used for explosions that the number of rounds you can buy should be limited and taxed to help pay for these events.

I can't do anything or I'll lose my job and possibly face criminal charges. Please don't let them get away with it. They won't find the suspect till later this week and the raid is issued to occur on Friday. This was a staged event. The people hurt are real but the event was planned. Don't let them hurt our rights."

There were two males - neither in their early 20's. They are not saying they were unstable - they were saying they were religious zealots. There wasn't a raid per se - there was a manhunt. But hey - they got Friday right, and I don't think any of us will be surprised to find out they had guns, either.

This is as true as a psychic's prediction can get.

Here's what someone who runs a sane forum said (http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/a-warning-to-all-gun-bloggers-and-forums%20-boston-marathon-explosions/) about this post:
A common theme among the shills is to make us look stupid and ruthless in the furtherment of our cause. We think that they threw some bait into the water yesterday that could make gun people look very bad. It is a “whistleblower” post about the explosions at the Boston Marathon, warning that it is some kind of false flag to ban the private sale of gun powder. I believe this “warning” is meant to be re-posted on gun blogs and boards, and on a quick Google search, I see that it has already hit the FAL Files and a few survival boards. We am not going to include the post in this email because there is no benefit in spreading it, but it begins “I work on a security commission and I’ve just received word to start on a campaign we’ve been working on for the last two months and now it all makes sense.”

The “warning” then goes on to say that that explosions were a pre-planned event meant to result in the banning of the private sale of gun powder, and that a young person is to be arrested Friday with NRA magazines in his possession. The creators of this farce are hoping Alex Jones and all of the conspiracy websites pick it up, and some of them already have. We believe that this is a Bloomberg shill to make us look stupid, and ruthless, that we would co-opt a tragedy to further our cause. Obama’s people have indeed already tried to tie the explosions to “Tax Day” in the hopes of making right wingers look like terrorists, but as we have explained before, Alex Jones is a turd in the punchbowl of 2nd Amendment freedom. You don’t have to have any “theory” about the conspiracy to take away our 2nd Amendment rights. American “gun control” was born in the aftermath of slavery (http://libcom.org/library/racist-roots-gun-control-clayton-e-cramer), to keep guns out of the hands of freed slaves. Today it continues. The anti-gunners are using the deaths of 20 white kids to keep the guns out of the hands of their racial minority voting “slaves” in the inner cities.

Intoxiklown
04-20-2013, 10:07 AM
I didn't cherry pick anything, simply went off memory. Which is why I didn't go into major detail.

2young2vote
04-20-2013, 10:24 AM
That the government had planned this entire thing just so they could put slight restrictions on gun powder is the most idiotic thing i've heard since the bombings took place. The government wouldn't (and couldn't) go through all this crap just so they can put background checks on such an unused product.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2013, 10:27 AM

You laugh.

There is "knife control" in the UK.

phill4paul
04-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Waco was about as staged as it could get. So much so that they held back the operation until enough reporters were on hand. The ATF needed funding. What better way than a high profile raid? We saw what became of that cluster fuck.

tangent4ronpaul
04-20-2013, 10:39 AM
That the government had planned this entire thing just so they could put slight restrictions on gun powder is the most idiotic thing i've heard since the bombings took place. The government wouldn't (and couldn't) go through all this crap just so they can put background checks on such an unused product.

WAKE UP!!!!

-t

Intoxiklown
04-20-2013, 10:40 AM

While I don't completely subscribe to that postulation, I do feel it at least needs to be looked at. As said above, the "prediction" can easily be explained with someone playing the odds with a high chance of success in being correct.

However, as to the bold, to think this bill couldn't be expanded with the same logic to include any form of explosive powder, to include what is used in modern ammunition, is really showing trust in a government that says it can decide who gets what rights as it sees fit. I'm sorry, but I don't share that trust.

Dr.3D
04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Regular modern smokeless powder could have just as well been substituted for black powder and the results would have been the same, except there would be much less smoke at the blast site.

They may and probably will try to regulate the purchase of all forms of gun powder.

2young2vote
04-20-2013, 10:55 AM
While I don't completely subscribe to that postulation, I do feel it at least needs to be looked at. As said above, the "prediction" can easily be explained with someone playing the odds with a high chance of success in being correct.

However, as to the bold, to think this bill couldn't be expanded with the same logic to include any form of explosive powder, to include what is used in modern ammunition, is really showing trust in a government that says it can decide who gets what rights as it sees fit. I'm sorry, but I don't share that trust.

I believe the government will use this event to take away as many rights as possible. However, due to the complete lack of evidence, I do not believe the government completely orchestrated the bombings just so they could do pass some laws that will have practically no impact at all.

tangent4ronpaul
04-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Regular modern smokeless powder could have just as well been substituted for black powder and the results would have been the same, except there would be much less smoke at the blast site.

They may and probably will try to regulate the purchase of all forms of gun powder.

No - you are mistaken. Modern powder would have been at a higher velocity and more people would have been seriously hurt.

Still, it could have been broken apart shotgun shells...

-t

Dr.3D
04-20-2013, 01:38 PM
No - you are mistaken. Modern powder would have been at a higher velocity and more people would have been seriously hurt.

Still, it could have been broken apart shotgun shells...

-t
It's easier to get modern shotgun smokeless powder than it is black powder. I have to wonder why they would resort to using the harder of the two to get.