PDA

View Full Version : Why does this Nov 30 vs Dec 16 controversy even exist?

AggieforPaul
11-25-2007, 04:06 AM
The campaign should just debit their accounts receivable for an expected 5 million on December 16th (a conservative estimate), and use that money now in the early primary states on flex payment schedules. They know the money's coming eventually. I cant believe that have so little cash on hand that 5 mil wont be plenty to tide them over until dec 15th hits.

Menthol Patch
11-25-2007, 04:10 AM
There is no reason whatsoever for it to exist. I'm confident that the Ron Paul Revolution can see this as a CHALLENGE and raise a ton of money on BOTH days!

Mithridates
11-25-2007, 04:14 AM
It's a good thing actually, because it shows that people are very concerned with getting as large a reaction as possible for the money and time they're putting into the campaign. It's good to remember that it's constantly growing though, so for each person that has given a lot and has donor fatigue there are two or three new supporters that are excited to donate.

Eleanor
11-25-2007, 07:58 AM
The campaign should just debit their accounts receivable for an expected 5 million on December 16th (a conservative estimate), and use that money now in the early primary states on flex payment schedules. They know the money's coming eventually. I cant believe that have so little cash on hand that 5 mil wont be plenty to tide them over until dec 15th hits.

There's no guarantee that December 16th will perform well. Public opinion - even of RP supporters - is fickle and cannot be counted on. If Dec. 16th does not do well and donations are low before and after that, they could be saddled with debt they will find very difficult to repay.

It costs a huge amount of money to run a campaign.

As of an 11/13 CNN article, Mitt Romney's ads had aired more than 14,500 times. He had spent $10.2 million on TV advertising to that point.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/13/romney.ads/

How many times have RP's ads aired? How much money has he been able to spend on TV advertising?

In my view, we need to generate votes in the early states. If we don't, all of everyone's time and money goes down the drain. We need to give people a reason to vote for Ron Paul - and we can't do that without TV ads funded by cold cash, since the campaign won't borrow money.

Something to think about.

James R
11-25-2007, 08:01 AM
There is no reason whatsoever for it to exist. I'm confident that the Ron Paul Revolution can see this as a CHALLENGE and raise a ton of money on BOTH days!

It was a challenge to get 4.3 million on Nov 5th. Its not going to be all of a sudden easy to raise $10 million with millions more to spare for November 30th. The events compete with each other. They are separated by only 2 paychecks!

constituent
11-25-2007, 08:02 AM
controversy? was i asleep?

JAYCEE
11-25-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm a late comer who missed Guy Fawkes day. I plan to make up for that on both upcoming money bomb days.

LibertyEagle
11-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Eleanor, I am not questioning that the campaign needs all the money they can get and then some, but Romney has spent that much money because he has advertised across the entire nation. I live in Texas and he ran a ton of ads, a couple of months back. Ron Paul's campaign is focusing only on the early states.

I agree that getting them money early is important, but we also do not want to let the steam out of the 12/16 fundraiser. Because it is that steam, that buildup of excitement, that was enticing people that were not even yet RP supporters to consider donating on that day. We also had a lot of momentum going with others saying they were going to email their subscriber lists to donate on that day, etc. So, if we lose that steam completely, and we surely have somewhat, I think we will have a significant net loss of donations for the quarter.

A lot of us saw with our own eyes, a huge shift in America's perception of Ron Paul, on 11/5. Finally, many actually believed he could win. I personally saw many jump on board after that day. What do you think will be the outcome, if we blew 12/16 out of the water? Maybe even bringing in close to 10 million? Once upon a time, we thought this possible. I'm not so sure anymore, with all this loss of focus.

If we're willing to live with the consequences of derailing this event, then fine. But, we need to be very clear about what we are doing.

Note: Perhaps the campaign should also be setting up some fundraisers for Dr. Paul. I'm not seeing any of those scheduled.

troyd1
11-25-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm a late comer who missed Guy Fawkes day. I plan to make up for that on both upcoming money bomb days.

Bring a few friend too!

Eleanor
11-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Eleanor, I am not questioning that the campaign needs all the money they can get and then some, but Romney has spent that much money because he has advertised across the entire nation. I live in Texas and he ran a ton of ads, a couple of months back. Ron Paul's campaign is focusing only on the early states.

I agree that getting them money early is important, but we also do not want to let the steam out of the 12/16 fundraiser. Because it is that steam, that buildup of excitement, that was enticing people that were not even yet RP supporters to consider donating on that day. We also had a lot of momentum going with others saying they were going to email their subscriber lists to donate on that day, etc. So, if we lose that steam completely, and we surely have somewhat, I think we will have a significant net loss of donations for the quarter.

A lot of us saw with our own eyes, a huge shift in America's perception of Ron Paul, on 11/5. Finally, many actually believed he could win. I personally saw many jump on board after that day. What do you think will be the outcome, if we blew 12/16 out of the water? Maybe even bringing in close to 10 million? Once upon a time, we thought this possible. I'm not so sure anymore, with all this loss of focus.

If we're willing to live with the consequences of derailing this event, then fine. But, we need to be very clear about what we are doing.

Note: Perhaps the campaign should also be setting up some fundraisers for Dr. Paul. I'm not seeing any of those scheduled.

Thanks for your thought-out reply. What you're saying makes a lot of sense.

FSP-Rebel
11-25-2007, 10:12 AM

I tend to see it this way as well.

fireworks_god
11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Ron Paul has risen so much, especially in the last month, and has the media flirting with him now because of these grass-roots efforts, the fundraising of his supporters, and, most of all, the ideas that he lives, stands for, and that are resonating with so many Americans.

Television ads are great, but as everyone has been pointing out in these threads, these other candidates have access to millions and millions of dollars that we simply couldn't raise, so I don't think it is a good idea to stress so much importance on giving the campaign money to try to play their game.

Advertisements in the media is not going to expand Ron Paul's support beyond those who actively participate in politics - the mainstream media itself will. Its probably best to keep focusing on networking, people to people. I truly believe that Ron Paul's ideas resonate with most Americans if they get the chance to hear them from those who already understand them.

I've watched the ads for New Hampshire on Youtube, and they weren't great, and I doubt they are too effective. Who Ron Paul and what he stands for can't be conveyed in thirty seconds. Sure, they might put his name out there, but, no matter what, you still have the special-interest power brokers doing the same thing seventy times over.

fireworks_god
11-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Also, I wasn't saying don't give the campaign money, far from it. I'm simply saying that December 16th should be a full-blown priority. 11/5 is the reason the media has started to consider the fact that Ron Paul has credible support. They now talk about this transformation in politics, the rise of libertarianism, etc. etc. etc.

You've caught their interest and they are very curious. There is a lot of new energy in all of this, and that excites them. I heard someone in a thread say that they just talk about the interest and support and not about the ideas so much, but that's because the hook hasn't been sunk in them yet.

If we really focus on pushing hard to spread the message and work together, and show them that this is REAL, then the whole game changes. We're approaching the threshold here. December 16th is a very strategic time, for a lot of reasons. Its still two weeks ahead of these first, crucial primaries, and the symbology works so well for Ron Paul's ideas and positions that it couldn't have been planned this way.