PDA

View Full Version : Drug Czar: No State Can Nullify Federal Marijuana Ban

DamianTV
04-19-2013, 03:24 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/17/drug-czar-no-state-can-nullify-federal-marijuana-ban/

President Barack Obama’s drug czar toed a strict line on marijuana Wednesday, saying federal laws will prevail regardless of state-level efforts to legalize pot.

Gil Kerlikowske said enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 — which ranks marijuana as a Schedule One drug alongside heroin, LSD and ecstasy — remains in the hands of the US Department of Justice.

“No state, no executive can nullify a statute that has been passed by Congress,” the director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy told a National Press Club luncheon.

“Let’s be clear: law enforcement officers take an oath of office to uphold federal law and they are going to continue to pursue drug traffickers and drug dealers,” he said.

Voters in Colorado and Washington last November approved proposals to legalize the possession of small quantities of marijuana by individuals in their respective states.

Earlier this month, a Pew Research Center opinion poll indicated that for the first time in more than four decades of polling on the issue, a majority of Americans — 52 percent — think marijuana should be legalized.

Several states have approved the medical use of marijuana with a doctor’s prescription, and the first marijuana clinic in the nation’s capital, just up the street from the Capitol, is near opening its doors.

New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo is meanwhile pressing his state’s legislature to decriminalize the possession in public view of less than 15 grams of marijuana.

But to the dismay of pot campaigners, many of whom voted to re-elect the Democratic president, the Obama administration has maintained its predecessors’ tough stance on marijuana as part of a broader, never-ending “war on drugs.”

Under US federal law, possession of marijuana is punishable by up to a year in prison and a $1,000 fine for a first offense, going up to three years and $5,000 for repeat offenses.

On its website, the Office of National Drug Control Policy says marijuana has “a high potential for abuse and no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States” as well as a raft of health risks.

Last week, the head of the US Drug Enforcement Agency, Michele Leonhart, told Congress it had seized $2.8 billion dollars in illicit drugs assets and profits, including some $750 million in cash.

Kerlikowske said the decriminalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington presented “a complex set of questions” to health professionals, school administrators, elected officials and law enforcement officers.

The former police chief of Seattle, Washington acknowledged that the drug debate in the United States is “extremely polarized” between those favoring wholesale legalization and those who prefer an iron-fisted crackdown.

“Neither of these extreme positions presents a 21st-century approach,” said Kerlikowske, who made a case for better youth education, more effective rehab programs and an end to the “stigma” that haunts recovering addicts.

“If you could fit an answer to the drug problems in this country on a bumper sticker,” he said, I think you can be assured of one thing — and that is that it’s wrong.”

The only thing that is "Wrong" is his thinking. Everything about his thinking. Can anyone say Usurp Power? I knew ya could!

tod evans
04-19-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.twowheelforum.com/images/smilies/hang.gif Get a rope! :mad:

Dr.3D
04-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Dumb slob is probably afraid he will lose his job if states make drugs legal.

Aratus
04-19-2013, 04:04 PM
some states have decriminalized the "regs" on single joints by voter referendum

Christian Liberty
04-19-2013, 04:08 PM
I don't need a freaking bumper sticker. I need three letters. N.A.P.

I normally hate Cuomo's guts, but good on him for trying to do something about our ridiculous marijuana laws. I can give credit where credit is due, however rare.

Obama can go to Hell...

Go Colorado and Washington...

BTW: I don't even think that that 52% counts people who do believe marijuana should be illegal, but support making it a state level issue. I don't know how many people fit into that category, but they definitely exist. They shouldn't approve of Obama on this issue either.

sailingaway
04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
That office doesn't even exist in the Constitution, what does he know?

dusman
04-19-2013, 08:19 PM
“Let’s be clear: law enforcement officers take an oath of office to uphold federal law and they are going to continue to pursue drug traffickers and drug dealers,” he said.

Hmm.. it must be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing because I sure have seen the opposite of upholding federal law.

DamianTV
04-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Having the Right to do anything with your own body should not be subject to the whims of the majority at any time. If only 2% of the population wanted to legalize pot, they'd probably be 2% that might smoke it. But just because they are part of a (hypothetical) 2% does not indicate that they WILL smoke.

(2% in this post is NOT an accurate statistic, it is just something Im making up for the purpose of being hypothetical)

Christian Liberty
04-19-2013, 08:36 PM
It doesn't even matter how many people support. N.A.P. Three letters. That's it. Any further argument with the busybodies is a waste of time. I know, I've engaged in it with my own mother, and even posted a thread about it. People who don't accept the NAP are never going to be convinced to do so... except when they are, as I was. There's really no rational way to argue it other than the basic libertarian arguments, however.

Henry Rogue
04-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Usurp Power

bolil
04-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Ummm, In Colo I was told you must register for a "recreational" license. Doing so also gives probable cause for blood analysis whenever pulled over. Colo took shit and painted a different shade of brown.

DamianTV
04-19-2013, 09:19 PM
It doesn't even matter how many people support. N.A.P. Three letters. That's it. Any further argument with the busybodies is a waste of time. I know, I've engaged in it with my own mother, and even posted a thread about it. People who don't accept the NAP are never going to be convinced to do so... except when they are, as I was. There's really no rational way to argue it other than the basic libertarian arguments, however.

Explain NAP for the Acronym Challenged...

donnay
04-19-2013, 09:31 PM
That office doesn't even exist in the Constitution, what does he know?

Because they are following the communist--after all they call him a Czar. <s>

Lucille
04-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Supporters should be all:

HOLLYWOOD
04-19-2013, 09:42 PM
This PSA (Public Service Announcement) brought to you by:

http://roneindyhiphop.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/alch.jpg?w=300&h=300 (http://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=4mBBNUyXLtHAEM&tbnid=azH0JtXCNeZ-MM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Findyhiphop.com%2F672081%2Falcohol-retailers-to-lobby-for-change-to-laws%2F&ei=9Q1yUYHSAYiZkAWMjICYAQ&bvm=bv.45512109,d.dGI&psig=AFQjCNFPyR7ig6ypPUEZAhn2T_EioTp1Rw&ust=1366515539064203)http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-I_UrLtR_nYE/T5sv6SI2rHI/AAAAAAAAZJI/D-O4xkyRBoA/s1600/MONEYPOWERANDALEC.jpg (http://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=XbQ80F3uZGFZ6M&tbnid=ejyIvHTOXgfZSM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownwithtyranny.blogspot.com%2F20 12_04_01_archive.html&ei=gQ5yUfmBEo7NkQW0m4HQBw&bvm=bv.45512109,d.dGI&psig=AFQjCNHp18VGKySIpP8qlcvHPbbQPV9oWw&ust=1366515655620593)

TheGrinch
04-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Explain NAP for the Acronym Challenged...

I just thought he was really tired....

(Na, it stands for the non-aggression principle)

Dr.3D
04-19-2013, 09:51 PM
I just thought he was really tired....

(Na, it stands for the non-aggression principle)
Whew, I thought it was all about Sodium and I am supposed to reduce my intake of that.