PDA

View Full Version : Summary of MIT/Watertown events

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Ok, a bunch of twitter links isn't particularly clear, so here is what I've gathered so far, not sure if 100% accurate.

So after the officer got shot at MIT, there was a carjacking in Watertown, and when cops responded the carjackers were shooting at them and throwing "grenades" before the carjackers barrelled past them and got away?

EDIT: this is actually when suspect number 1 was captured, ended up dead somehow.

Also, some kid was arrested for having a backpack and was released shortly after.

Some robots are looking for unexploded bombs on the street, and a helicopter is flying around.

Live local news video: http://livewire.wcvb.com/Event/117th_Running_of_Boston_Marathon

CPUd
04-19-2013, 12:04 AM
From the radio, they said they person they have is now a witness instead of suspect.

description just given of the person they are looking for was a Middle-Eastern guy with blue and white ballcap

They have a perimeter around the area, and are checking each house.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks...a bunch of Twatter had me all kinds of confused.

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks...a bunch of Twatter had me all kinds of confused.

Me too, I got some idea of the story by watching this for a while:

http://livewire.wcvb.com/Event/117th_Running_of_Boston_Marathon

Be careful flying out of Boston tomorrow with a backpack?

Sheesh.

Mani
04-19-2013, 12:23 AM
This was not a bad summary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/explosives-detonated-in-massachusetts-standoff.html?_r=1&

Two young men, armed with guns and explosives in what appeared to be backpacks, engaged in a violent standoff with dozens of police on a street in Watertown, Mass., Thursday night, a resident said.

Andrew Kitzenburg, 29, said he looked out of this third floor window to see two young men of slight build in jackets shooting at dozens of police officers from behind a black Mercedes SUV. The officers and the men were 70 yards apart, he said, and engaged in “constant gunfire.”

A police SUV “drove towards the shooters,” he said, and was shot at until it was severely damaged. It rolled out of control, Mr. Kitzenberg said, and crashed into two cars in his driveway.

The two shooters, he said, had a large and unwieldy bomb. “They lit it, still in the middle of the gunfire, and threw it. But it went 20 yards at most.” It exploded, he said, and one of the two men ran towards the gathered police officers. He was tackled, but it was not clear if he was shot, Mr. Kitzenberg said.

The other, he said, got back into the SUV, turned it toward the officers and “put the pedal to the metal.” The car “went right through the cops, broke right through and continued west.”

The two men left “a few backpacks right by the car, and there is a bomb robot out there now.” Police had told residents to stay away from their windows, he said.

The standoff came within hours of an incident at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in which a campus police officer was shot and killed.

The officer, who was not named, responded to a report of a disturbance near Vassar and Main Streets, the Middlesex County District Attorney Michael Pelgro said in a statement early Friday. He was found, the statement said with “multiple gunshot wounds” and taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

M.I.T. said in an update on its campus alert Web site after midnight that the “shooter remains at large, police continue to search the campus,” and asked students to stay indoors until further notice.

At the campus, helicopters whirred overhead, and police cars were dotted through the streets. A crime scene was cordoned off, and at least one dog unit was on the scene.

The two incidents came as the area was already on edge following the bombings at the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:25 AM
The local news is currently interviewing a witness named Mike who shot some video, but twitter says a house is currently being swatted?

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Mike has 5 cops in his yard with guns drawn now.

Petar
12 cops in front.

Texan4Life
pretty much... but the MIT campus cop died from the injuries and another officer that was seen on a stretcher in watertown

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Mike is no longer on the phone.

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:31 AM
There was definitely a kid arrested for having a backpack, he was released.

Not sure if it was the brown kid photographed being arrested, or if that was one of the carjackers.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Be careful flying out of Boston tomorrow with a backpack?

Sheesh.

Tell me about it.

Mani
04-19-2013, 12:33 AM
I would hate to be in Boston with a baseball cap and backpack right now....Better not to leave the house...and not to make any sudden movements while in the house...

Mani
04-19-2013, 12:35 AM
I hope Boston PD isn't as bad as LAPD and start shooting everyone with a backpack even if the color doesn't match....

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Bystanders on the scene reported a kid being arrested just for having a backpack, and the local news said that one person was released. Hopefully cops really did arrest one of the carjackers/shooters, aside from that mistake.

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:43 AM
It does look like they really got one of the hijackers though.

Mani
04-19-2013, 12:44 AM
It does look like they really got one of the hijackers though.

Got, meaning apprehended?

Or are you referring to the guy that was in custody and died?

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Got, meaning apprehended?

Or are you referring to the guy that was in custody and died?

Arrested and now dead I guess.

To be fair, he was apparently apprehended after a firefight.

Mani
04-19-2013, 12:53 AM
The two shooters, he said, had a large and unwieldy bomb. “They lit it, still in the middle of the gunfire, and threw it. But it went 20 yards at most.” It exploded, he said, and one of the two men ran towards the gathered police officers. He was tackled, but it was not clear if he was shot, Mr. Kitzenberg said.

I'm sure there was a strong possibility he was shot while RUNNING TOWARD a group of police officers.

For once I wouldn't FAULT the police for shooting in that situation...

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:56 AM
From someone on facebook: "CNN reporting live from a Photojournalist that both suspects are alive and now both are in custody, questioned by FBI on the scene?"

Petar
04-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Boston Police Scanners have identified the names: BPD scanner has identified the names : Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta Suspect 2: Sunil Tripathi. #Boston #MIT

wormyguy
04-19-2013, 01:01 AM
Sunil Tripathi is/was a student at Brown University who was reported missing a few weeks ago.

Petar
04-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Local news says one suspect is still on the run, and police presence is currently being set up at a nearby mall.

Petar
04-19-2013, 01:52 AM
So WCVB 5 (local ABC affiliate) is now reporting suspect #1 as dead suspect #2 is at large (even though suspect #1 was photographed being arrested?)

They are also saying that cops will be going door to door.

This may be nothing, but the female anchor was interviewing another journalist and she asked her "are you still on the phone"? and then the male anchor was like "she is in the studio", sounding a little panicked.

It sounded exactly like a "wag the dog" moment, but perhaps it was not.

Petar
04-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Ok, so there is a press conference and the police commissioner refuses to say whether suspect #1 is dead or not.

CPUd
04-19-2013, 02:33 AM
So WCVB 5 (local ABC affiliate) is now reporting suspect #1 as dead suspect #2 is at large (even though suspect #1 was photographed being arrested?)

They are also saying that cops will be going door to door.

This may be nothing, but the female anchor was interviewing another journalist and she asked her "are you still on the phone"? and then the male anchor was like "she is in the studio", sounding a little panicked.

It sounded exactly like a "wag the dog" moment, but perhaps it was not.

They later said on the scanner that the guy was a witness and not a suspect.

Petar
04-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Right, the naked dude was bystander. I wish there was more pictures of whatever happened with suspect #1.

Natural Citizen
04-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Did I just hear right that there are 9 to 10 thousand police/troops and forced evacuations to catch a single suspect? Please tell me I heard that wrong. :cool:

I'm seeing convoys of heavy military vehicles and troops in full camo/gear in the camera background.

Natural Citizen
04-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Right, the naked dude was bystander. I wish there was more pictures of whatever happened with suspect #1.

Innocent bystanders get stripped naked and paraded in front of national cable news now? How dude...

fr33
04-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Their names and nationalities changed while I slept.

itshappening
04-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Their names and nationalities changed while I slept.

your new to this.