PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon runner who escaped bombing unscathed also witnessed Texas plant explosion

sailingaway
04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I feel blessed': Boston Marathon runner who escaped bombing unscathed also witnessed Texas plant explosion

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/130418-berti-915p.photoblog600.jpg

People keep asking Joe Berti if he feels unlucky.

A bomb exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon seconds after Berti finished the race. Two days later, he was in his home state of Texas when he saw a fertilizer plant explode near Waco.

"I was just like, 'I can't believe this!'" said Berti, who said he had never witnessed an explosion before. Then he thought: "I just want to get out of here and get away from all these explosions."

But Berti, as it turns out, is far from unlucky. Instead, he feels fortunate. He left both tragedies unscathed, while members of his running group and his wife — who was closer to the Boston explosion than he was — were also unhurt.

"It's a miracle," he said in an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday. "People keep saying, 'Don't you feel unlucky?' and I was actually the opposite — saying not only do I not feel unlucky, but I feel blessed that my wife could be 10 yards from the explosion and not have a scratch."

The bombings in Boston, which happened about 10 seconds apart at the finish line of Monday's marathon, killed three people and left more than 180 wounded. In West, Texas, which is near Waco, a fertilizer plant exploded on Wednesday, killing at least five people, injuring more than 160, and leveling homes, apartments and a school.

"We're grateful that God has been merciful to us," said Berti's wife, Amy. "We are just praying for the people who were so much less fortunate than we were."

Berti's road to the Boston marathon started just a couple months ago, when he decided to run with Champions4Children, a charity that helps kids with rare or undiagnosed disorders and their families. He was one of eight Austin-area runners who ran the marathon with that group. Each ran for a sick child or "training partner," who tracked his or her runner's marathon progress from home.

During the last four miles, the 43-year-old Berti, who wore bib number 25472, felt his body shutting down, and his pace slowed. But he was running for his partner Drew, and he vowed to finish.

"I had just run to the finish line and like 30 seconds later I heard the first explosion, and then turned around and saw the smoke," he said. "I knew immediately that it was a bomb ... Then the second explosion occurred and I saw a wave of people running."

At that point, he said, he was so exhausted he couldn't run anymore. He worried about getting caught in a stampede. He was concerned about members of his running group who were behind him. He also thought about his wife, whom he was unable to reach and was probably wondering where he was. He told himself she was fine, because she was supposed to be at a restaurant.

"But then, I was like, 'She never listens to me, and she may have been at the finish line,'" a thought he quickly tried to remove from his mind.
As it turns out, Amy Berti and a friend were just a few yards from the first explosion. She had just taken a picture of Joe, and was heading to the finish line to find him when the bomb went off. She and her friend were both hit by shrapnel. Amy was uninjured, her friend was bruised.

But a woman right next to Amy had her leg torn off from the knee down, and lost all the fingers in her left hand. Amy Berti went to get help, and once that woman was being cared for, Amy's frantic search for her husband began.

more: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/18/17816091-i-feel-blessed-boston-marathon-runner-who-escaped-bombing-unscathed-also-witnessed-texas-plant-explosion?lite

AngryCanadian
04-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Very Lucky indeed.

Bruno
04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Suspicious... ;)

RickyJ
04-18-2013, 08:06 PM
What I want to know is where is he going to be tomorrow? I will make sure I am not there.

tasteless
04-18-2013, 09:29 PM
I didn't know the grim reaper was a woman.

bolil
04-18-2013, 10:44 PM
It burns my ass when people credit God for their survival. What the shit makes you so special. Guess it was gods will that one guy had both his legs blown off well. Maybe he was meant to be a writer. You don't need legs to write!

TheTexan
04-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Suspicious... ;)

You notice how everyone in the picture has their ears covered, except for this man?

Suspicious indeed

J_White
04-18-2013, 11:13 PM
final destination !

Slutter McGee
04-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Corin, John, and Sarah...all the people I know who live in West are alright. Thats all that matter to me.

Slutter McGee

VoluntaryAmerican
04-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Hell of a feature.

fr33
04-18-2013, 11:27 PM
You notice how everyone in the picture has their ears covered, except for this man?

Suspicious indeed
The guy in front of him isn't covering them. The rest are women. Something special about man ears I guess.

bolil
04-18-2013, 11:31 PM
The empty space between them allows loud noises to escape out the other side perhaps. It does look like he might be shielding his groin, where the real man brain is.

affa
04-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Why does the article say 'he' but the pictures show a woman?