McClintock
Meadows
Posey
Rigell
Rohrabacher
Sensabrenner
Stockman
Yoho

My blog write up: http://libertycircle.blogspot.com/2013/04/cispa-vote-shows-growing-support-for.html

Michigan11
04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Nice job Bentivolio! There is hope yet

gwax23
04-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Is this just the house?

TaftFan
04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Is this just the house?

Yes.

TaftFan
04-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Bridenstine Votes Against CISPA

Apr 18, 2013 Jim's Blog
Today, after careful consideration, I decided to vote against the final passage of the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). To be clear, there are provisions of the bill that are very good and I support, but there are also provisions that prevented me from supporting it.

I support the language in CISPA that enables the government security agencies to rapidly share classified cyber threat information with private companies. The existing Department of Defense cyber security defense industrial base programs have been successful partnerships between the government and eligible companies. Expanding these programs beyond the defense industrial base is a step forward in the government sharing classified cyber threat information and would go a long way to protecting our nation’s networks.

However, CISPA should have stopped there. In my opinion, it went too far in the provisions that encouraged private companies to share information. The bill grants immunity to private companies when they share information with the government and with other private entities. Entities choosing to participate in CISPA could simply not offer customers credible commitments that they will not break privacy contracts. While attempting to increase information sharing, CISPA undermines the sanctity of a contract.

On a slightly positive side, the immunity provision only offers liability protection if the entity shares the information “in good faith.” It is my assessment, however, that “good faith” is too low and too vague a standard by which to render all other federal or state privacy laws and private privacy contracts unenforceable, as CISPA does. In the coming years, we will likely see how the courts interpret “good faith.”

If enacted into law, CISPA will sunset and return for reauthorization in 5 years.

sailingaway
04-18-2013, 07:22 PM
You can retweet it here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/325055390654013442

Spoa
04-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Nice to see that Rep. Amash has allies:

Justin Amash ‏@repjustinamash 7m
Thx, Thomas, for voting no. “@RepThomasMassie: CISPA erodes liberties protected by the 4th Amendment.

http://massieforms.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=MOSGGDUCBWMLKEV4KUEDNN4WWA …”

Justin Amash ‏@repjustinamash 6m
Thx, Jim. “@RepJBridenstine: Today I voted "No" on CISPA. Please read my blog article here: http://goo.gl/N9f2X pic.twitter.com/3ckA1KqIQ4”

jkr
04-18-2013, 07:54 PM
PORTMAN the STATIST

TaftFan
04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
My blog write up: http://libertycircle.blogspot.com/2013/04/cispa-vote-shows-growing-support-for.html

TaftFan
04-18-2013, 08:46 PM
JONES VOTES AGAINST CISPA

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today Congressman Walter B. Jones (NC-3) voted against H.R. 624, the Cyber Information Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). CISPA would allow private companies to share vast amounts of data with the federal government in order to share information on cyber attacks. The House passed the bill with a vote of 288-127, and now awaits consideration in the Senate. If signed into law, CISPA would violate the privacy of all Americans by permitting companies to share large amounts of personal data with the government with little oversight.

“While it is important for us as a nation to defend ourselves in the digital world, H.R. 624 is not the best means to do so,” said Jones. “This legislation is just another example of the federal government going too far and it is a clear violation of privacy.”

Under CISPA, private emails and a user’s Internet browser history could be sent to the federal government. Users would have no way of knowing whether or not their information has been shared, as the information provided under CISPA would not be available through the Freedom of Information Act. Conservative groups like FreedomWorks, Competitive Enterprise Institute and The Constitution Project all strongly oppose this legislation.

TaftFan
04-18-2013, 08:51 PM
U.S. Representative Massie Votes Against CISPA

"CISPA erodes liberties protected by the 4th Amendment."

WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Massie voted against the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, also known as CISPA. This bill would grant the government access to private information for which they would otherwise have to obtain a warrant.

"CISPA erodes liberties protected by the 4th Amendment," said Rep. Massie.

CISPA’s original intent was to address the growing threats to cyber security around the world. But many are concerned about its implications with regard to information-sharing between the federal government and corporations. The bill would provide immunity for companies who break privacy agreements with customers and employees.

Rep. Massie concluded, "CISPA allows sharing of people's private information without consent and without accountability."

TaftFan
04-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Tom McClintock: Constitutional Security First

Constitutional Security First

April 17, 2013

Madam Speaker:

The House has been considering HR 624, the so-called CISPA bill. Although its sponsors assure us that a person’s Internet data would be stripped of personal identification, the bill allows this data then to be used to prosecute certain federal crimes. How could that be? It turns out, the government, having stumbled upon this evidence, can then seek a warrant to obtain the personally identifying information.

This makes it the functional equivalent of the “writs of assistance” used by the English Crown in colonial times. It is antithetical to the Fourth Amendment which requires that before the government can invade your privacy, it must first present a court with reasonable cause to believe you have committed a crime.

This bill effectively allows the government to search through your personal records indiscriminately and then use that information to form the basis of a prosecution.

Cyber security is an important national security issue. But it does not trump the Bill of Rights or the American freedoms our Constitution protects.

# # #

Congressman McClintock delivered the attached remarks on the House floor about H.R. 624 (Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act). The bill is scheduled to be voted on by the full House on April 18th, 2013.

compromise
04-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Why'd the Tennessee Duncan vote for it? I thought he was usually good on civil liberties.

Nice to see my rep, Posey voted nay.