PDA

View Full Version : 95-2 (Rand/Lee oppose)

itshappening
04-18-2013, 10:56 AM
No compromise haters.

-
The Senate voted 95-2 for an amendment to the gun control bill that would address mental health issues.

The amendment, introduced by Sens. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) and Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), expands federal mental health programs, including in education, suicide prevention, substance abuse and trauma centers.

“Mental health problems often begin at a young age, however less than half of the children identified with mental health issues, receive treatment,” Harkin said ahead of the vote. “This lack of treatment has consequences. … The shame in this is that with access to the right treatment and supports people can lead healthy and productive lives.”

Alexander said the amendment passed out of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee unanimously.

GOP Sens. Mike Lee (Utah) and Rand Paul (Ky.) opposed the amendment.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/294777-senate-votes-95-2-for-bipartisan-mental-health-amendment#ixzz2QppOXxZO

jmdrake
04-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Lamar Alexander is slime. But if anything is going to pass, I'd rather it be something like this. Now how about a congressional inquiry into possible links between anti-depressants and violent behavior?

supermario21
04-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Can't wait to see Rand run on this. This is awesome lol.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
I think this shows Mike Lee is still slightly better than Cruz. Cruz is the 3rd best Senator we have.

Christian Liberty
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Lamar Alexander is slime. But if anything is going to pass, I'd rather it be something like this. Now how about a congressional inquiry into possible links between anti-depressants and violent behavior?

I'd vote no about that too. That's also none of Congress' business, since its not in the constitution.

I think this shows Mike Lee is still slightly better than Cruz. Cruz is the 3rd best Senator we have.
Ted Cruz voted to give the Feds medical data. If he's the third best, than at best we have two good ones...

Origanalist
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I'd vote no about that too. That's also none of Congress' business, since its not in the constitution.

Ted Cruz voted to give the Feds medical data. If he's the third best, than at best we have two good ones...

Really brightens your day doesn't it? Depressing and infuriating.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 12:16 PM

I guess I don't really know the specifics of the amendment.

Christian Liberty
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Really brightens your day doesn't it? Depressing and infuriating.

I'm not an expert on Cruz in general. I don't expect perfection. Perfection would exclude pretty much everyone. I do expect a committment to the constitution. Wanting to give that info to the Feds involves trusting them WAY too much.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm not an expert on Cruz in general. I don't expect perfection. Perfection would exclude pretty much everyone. I do expect a committment to the constitution. Wanting to give that info to the Feds involves trusting them WAY too much.

It doesn't seem like anyone in the Senate is as much of a pure Constitutionalist as Ron. Rand even made a comment about strengthening the background checks that already exist. Rand, Lee, and Cruz are the best we have in the Senate in that order, but none of them measure up to Ron in terms of adhering to the Constitution. I would like to get someone in the Senate who would make Rand look like a moderate.

itshappening
04-18-2013, 12:26 PM
lol up until Rand and Mike Lee they were all horrible. Senators always have been. They're the worst crony-connected of the lot. Takes a lot of money to run for Senate. Most of them are former congressfolk/governors. Totally bought off and more concerned with raising millions for re-election campaign.

Cruz like most of them will vote for some terrible stuff. But maybe on that spectrum he won't be as bad.

Christian Liberty
04-18-2013, 12:32 PM
It doesn't seem like anyone in the Senate is as much of a pure Constitutionalist as Ron. Rand even made a comment about strengthening the background checks that already exist. Rand, Lee, and Cruz are the best we have in the Senate in that order, but none of them measure up to Ron in terms of adhering to the Constitution. I would like to get someone in the Senate who would make Rand look like a moderate.

That would be nice indeed.

lol up until Rand and Mike Lee they were all horrible. Senators always have been. They're the worst crony-connected of the lot. Takes a lot of money to run for Senate. Most of them are former congressfolk/governors. Totally bought off and more concerned with raising millions for re-election campaign.

Cruz like most of them will vote for some terrible stuff. But maybe on that spectrum he won't be as bad.

Wasn't Barry Goldwater pretty good?

itshappening
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
We need more Rand's/Mike Lee's.

For what its worth Broun in GA will probably vote against most unconstitutional stuff.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
We need more Rand's/Mike Lee's.

For what its worth Broun in GA will probably vote against most unconstitutional stuff.

Yeah, Broun would be better than Cruz in terms of adhering to the Constitution. The problem with Broun is that he's a loose cannon who has said all kinds of ridiculous things.

Christian Liberty
04-18-2013, 12:38 PM
What has he said?

itshappening
04-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Broun would be better than Cruz in terms of adhering to the Constitution. The problem with Broun is that he's a loose cannon who has said all kinds of ridiculous things.

So? We need people like Broun in red states. It's a great opportunity. I will be supporting him big time.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
So? We need people like Broun in red states. It's a great opportunity. I will be supporting him big time.

I'm just saying that it might be hard for him to win a general election, not that he wouldn't be a good Senator if he were elected.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 01:35 PM
What has he said?

A lot of things. He made a comment that evolution "is a lie from the pit of hell." I don't believe in evolution either, but you can't really say something like that as a member of Congress, at least not the way he said it.

itshappening
04-18-2013, 01:42 PM
No it won't TC, GA is deep red.

You're such a drama queen.

compromise
04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
A lot of things. He made a comment that evolution "is a lie from the pit of hell." I don't believe in evolution either, but you can't really say something like that as a member of Congress, at least not the way he said it.

In the deep south, you definitely can.

Brett85
04-18-2013, 01:53 PM

It's not as red as it used to be due to an increase in the black and hispanic population. I think Romney only won it by about 10%.

compromise
04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
It's not as red as it used to be due to an increase in the black and hispanic population. I think Romney only won it by about 10%.

Blacks and Hispanics will never vote for Broun anyway, so I doubt it matters.

Christian Liberty
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Anyone who determines his vote based on that statement is an idiot. BTW I don't believe in it either but would probably try to avoid talking about it much like Ron Paul did if I were ever running for politics since its irrelevant to politics, ESPECIALLY for a libertarian.

No need to be mean.

I'm pretty sure there are redder states than GA.

Krzysztof Lesiak
04-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Rand and Mike Lee, yes. But don't forget, Cruz is a Goldman Sachs boy. I'm still skeptical of him and don't know whether or not I should unlike his Facebook page.

TaftFan
04-18-2013, 07:04 PM
This is my personal opinion but I think Cruz took one for the team here in order to stop the heinous legislation.