PDA

View Full Version : Snatching Your Neighbor’s Recycling In Minneapolis? That’s Illegal

CaseyJones
04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/04/17/snatching-your-neighbors-recycling-in-mpls-thats-illegal/

After you put out your recycling bin, thieves may be stealing your aluminum cans.

The city of Minneapolis said it’s losing $135,000 a year because of thefts from recycling bins.

Minneapolis said the problem exploded during the economic downturn, and the city hopes a new single sort system — and warnings on the bins — will help people realize it is a crime.

Ron Corbett has been picking up recycling in Minneapolis for 15 years, and said he’s seen thieves walking brazenly away toting large bags.

more at link ^

kathy88
04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
But wait... I thought the purpose of recycling was to help the environment? Why should it matter WHO does the recycling.....? Oh, wait....

amy31416
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Before I moved out of my old house, I made an agreement with one guy to pitch anything metal in a separate bin for him and put it out on a non-trash night, knowing that the city does consider this "theft." Worked out well, he didn't have to go through my trash, didn't get in trouble and was able to help out his family a little easier. In return, he helped out with a little heavy lifting we needed to get some stuff out of the house.

A homeowner can work with many of these "thieves" far easier than they could with the city.

kcchiefs6465
04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Before I moved out of my old house, I made an agreement with one guy to pitch anything metal in a separate bin for him and put it out on a non-trash night, knowing that the city does consider this "theft." Worked out well, he didn't have to go through my trash, didn't get in trouble and was able to help out his family a little easier. In return, he helped out with a little heavy lifting we needed to get some stuff out of the house.

A homeowner can work with many of these "thieves" far easier than they could with the city.
This.

I don't see how they can justify charging someone with theft over a few two cent cans. Copper, sure. But as if the person isn't already down on their luck enough. No, we need to throw them in jail for up to 6 months and chain them to the system. I fail to see who these laws benefit. (aside from the State, of course, who doesn't appreciate their profits being infringed upon) If I live there, I'd be leaving bags of cans for the homeless. They act like those people are making a killing when in reality they'd be lucky to gather up 5-10 bucks. (in cans at least)

FriedChicken
04-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I can't believe they even bother using the lost income argument from the city perspective.

I would feel uncomfortable with someone going through my recyclables just because they could easily "steal" trash as well - which could lead to identity theft or whatnot - I would think that would be their reasoning for outlawing the 'theft' of recyclables.

Something tells me that they have no interest in prosecuting people for stealing couches on heavy trash pick up day.

kcchiefs6465
04-18-2013, 12:33 PM
I can't believe they even bother using the lost income argument from the city perspective.

I would feel uncomfortable with someone going through my recyclables just because they could easily "steal" trash as well - which could lead to identity theft or whatnot - I would think that would be their reasoning for outlawing the 'theft' of recyclables.

Something tells me that they have no interest in prosecuting people for stealing couches on heavy trash pick up day.
I am of the belief that once you throw something away, it is free to take. Any personal information should be shredded or burned. I generally try to leave all my cans in one bag so they don't have to go through the trash to find them. When I've gotten rid of couches or whatever nothing encourages more than a "Free" sign. I'm sure my garbagemen appreciated the help.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
what isn't illegal nowadays? I think I'm going to go take one can from my neighbor's recycling and put it into mine.

Breakin' the law Breakin' the law

Oh and what is also illegal in a lot of states?

Not recycling!

LOL

HAHAHAHAHA.

tod evans
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Using tax dollars to prosecute trash scavengers...

Fucking brilliant!

I'll bet they can hire more cops/lawyers and judges.........Jailers and probation staff too!

What a fantastic economic stimulus plan...

And all for a few empty beer cans.

bunklocoempire
04-18-2013, 12:43 PM

A mutually beneficial relationship not dependent on government? How dare you cut out the third party extorting money and goods from both of you! :eek:

Reported.

HOLLYWOOD
04-18-2013, 12:45 PM
When people raised issues on Identity Theft, etc... Didn't most states/FEDS ruled, if your trash/trash bins are on a public street, it's open to anyone? This is the reason people invested in paper shredders, or locked bins?

It all comes down to MONEY and '.gov' wants it all.

kcchiefs6465
04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
When people raised issues on Identity Theft, etc... Didn't most states/FEDS ruled, if your trash/trash bins are on a public street, it's open to anyone? This is the reason people invested in paper shredders, or locked bins?

It all comes down to MONEY and '.gov' wants it all.
The Feds ruled that they don't need a warrant to go through your trash.

I bet if you read this law, they are exempt.

Schifference
04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
But Wait. Doesn't the city charge taxes to pickup your recycling and garbage? If it has value then there should be no charge to collect it in fact the city should pay me for taking it. I told my wife years ago that garbage has value because some cities burn garbage and turn it into electricity.

HOLLYWOOD
04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
But Wait. Doesn't the city charge taxes to pickup your recycling and garbage? If it has value then there should be no charge to collect it in fact the city should pay me for taking it. I told my wife years ago that garbage has value because some cities burn garbage and turn it into electricity.nope... Been through this with the city... garbage is the monthly charge... green clipping waste and recycling containers/bins are just a "FREE SERVICE" on pickup/collection day.

kcchiefs6465
04-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Recycling is a multi-billion dollar a year business.

I'd imagine a city the size of Minneapolis makes quite a bit of change off of that.