PDA

View Full Version : So proud of my neighboring county sheriff

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-18-2013, 04:17 AM
From "Zumbrota News-Record" http://www.zumbrota.com/main.asp?SectionID=23&SubSectionID=62&ArticleID=9405&TM=22165.73

To the Editor:

When the Wabasha County Sheriff was elected in 2002, there were 21 handgun carry permits. Today, with the passage of the new carry permit law in 2003, there are close to 750. I have seen the number of permits double in the last 5-6 months. This is likely due to the last presidential election and the recent tragedy with the Newtown, Connecticut shooting. Many people are in fear of more stringent guidelines or a total ban on sporting rifles. Many gun store owners were also having a hard time finding certain weapons.

It's unbelievable how many permits we are issuing lately. We are seeing many more carry permits than we are purchase permits. We are also seeing many husbands and wives coming in together. I think it's good that the public is protecting themselves and getting some good training on the subject. I get a chance to talk to some of the people who have been through the training and most say that the instructors really stress that carry permit holders have a huge responsibility when they are carrying a handgun. Many say that they come away from the class really thinking about the "what if" regarding self-defense.

We have been virtually problem free with the carry permit holders. There have been some isolated cases statewide, but overall, there have been very few. I have a very high expectation of the carry permit holders in our county with regard to how they will conduct themselves while carrying.

One item that needs clearing up regarding the law is that there is no concealment requirement of the handgun. With that said, there have been very few cases of people carrying in the open. Most of the instructors will tell their future permit holders that they should let no one know that they are carrying a gun.

There has also been a discrepancy in the interpretation of some of the statutes regarding motor vehicles. I now have the same opinion as the DNR regarding the statutes that pertain to firearms being loaded. MN Statute 97B.041 is specific about only having a loaded handgun in a vehicle and not a loaded long gun.

Now, the last thing to clear up: no one is coming to take away your guns, at least not from the Sheriff's Office or your local police departments. All of us in law enforcement are firearms owners.

Rodney Bartsh

Wabasha County Sheriff

hillertexas
04-18-2013, 07:50 AM
nice!

Mani
04-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Rep. Finally something positive to read!

COpatriot
04-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Good to see all these sheriffs standing up for the people. My own sheriff, Terry Maketa is one of them.