PDA

View Full Version : Political reactions to gun control fail

itshappening
04-18-2013, 01:14 AM
“If we sit around and put our fingers up and measure by polls, that’s what’s wrong with this country,” said Sen. Mark Beigch (D-Alaska) when asked about national polls showing support for the measure. “I represent Alaska.”

“I’m disappointed with the Democrats, but I’m ten times more disappointed with the Republicans. It’s unfair,” said Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) “I don’t think this is the end of it. It used to be the NRA would win and we’d wait for a few years to bring it back up again. But that’s not where we are today. We’re now in the world of Gabby Giffords, Michael Bloomberg and organizations that are organizing to come out and support those people who are for gun safety and oppose those who are against it.”

“I am glad that the Senate did not pass this legislation that would have undermined the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for law abiding citizens,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said. “I am hopeful that when the passions of the day subside, we will come together and pass serious, aggressive legislation targeting felons and violent criminals providing resources so states provide mental health records to the background check system.”

“It’s a very dark day. It’s not just my vote, it’s everything,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said. “The nation has to understand what things are like out here. People have to want to do something about it.”

“I think it’s an indictment of the senate rules that 90% of the American people and 54 senators can support a measure that fails to succeed,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said. “I am heartbroken and shocked and saddened and angry.”

“I’m very disappointed and there is a sadness here that there was a tremendous bipartisan effort,” Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) said. “Manchin-Toomey didn’t go as far as I would like to go but I supported it because there was a way to go for bipartisanship, so it’s enormously disappointed. I think today there are a lot of hard feelings.”

“Only reasonable reforms passed, so I think for the Second Amendment, I don’t think there was any erosion today that people would say so far,” Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) said.

“Republicans are still very scared of primaries and the tea party extremist tail still wags the Republican dog,” Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) said, who added he was “sorely” disappointed the bill was defeated.

“I never saw a president fight so hard, a vice president, never on any issue,” Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.). “It shows us the cowardice of the Senate.”

“Wasn’t a tough vote for me —but it was tough for a lot of people who were watching and expecting it,” said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.).

“I think it was something the American people wanted and it was something that would have helped keep guns out of the hands of criminals,” said Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.). “Look everyone has to determine what was the right thing to do, for me it was to vote for the legislation.”

“It was a really down day, and I can only hope that it was so bad that something good will come from it,” said Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.). “It wasn’t a mixed result today. It was just a one-sided result.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/senate-reaction-to-gun-control-vote-90248.html#ixzz2QnS4hzZN

sailingaway
04-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Cruz wants states to give the Feds mental health records?

Christian Liberty
04-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Cruz wants states to give the Feds mental health records?

Yeah, I think its official that Cruz sucks...