PDA

View Full Version : Doug Casey on Second Passports

nbruno322
04-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Louis James: Doug, a lot of our readers have asked about getting a second passport. I realize this is a large and complex issue – several issues, actually – but would you care to go over the basics of where to go and what to do? And for those not already thinking about this, why?

Doug Casey: Sure. We've talked quite a bit about the increasing urgency of getting some of your assets out of your home country, especially if it's the United States. We've talked about having stores of precious metals in safe places abroad, and setting up bank and brokerage accounts abroad as well. I've said that safest way to store wealth abroad is to buy property, which can't be seized by your home country without an act of war. The purchase of real estate solves several issues all at once.

But that's all about protecting assets; to protect yourself, getting a second passport is unfortunately very important.

LJ: Why unfortunately?

DC: Because you shouldn't have to need government papers to live as you please. It used to be that a passport was a document that a ruler of one country would give to a traveler to ask the rulers of other countries to assist him in his travels. Now, instead of a convenience, it's become a required permit for travel. It's degrading and actually runs counter to the whole idea of the thing. The original purpose of a passport has been turned upside down.

LJ: Passports are becoming a world ID card – and they will be, once the governments all link up their databases.

DC: That's exactly what they are, and I'm sure it's going to get worse. It's funny the way people treat these things like some sort of holy relic, or magical object – they are nothing but another government ID. But since they are necessary in today's world, you ought to have several of them, for your own convenience. If nothing else, it prevents any one government from basically placing you under house arrest by taking your passport away from you.

LJ: Do you really think of it mostly in terms of convenience? Or do you sometimes think about the potential for physical danger, should you find yourself in an Achille Lauro-type situation in which violent people who hate Americans select US passport holders for abuse?

DC: That's definitely a good reason for Americans to have a second passport, and increasingly for others, now that the war with Islam is under way. If you ever get caught in harm's way, it helps that nobody starts by shooting all the people from countries they've never heard of.

LJ: Round up all the Uruguayans!

DC: Right – that just doesn't happen. Another reason – certainly if you're an American – is that nobody anywhere in the world wants to open a bank account or a brokerage account for you. It ranges from impossible to hard and inconvenient. It's a subtle and indirect form of exchange control that the US has already imposed. I have no doubt controls will become much more formal and serious in the near future.

LJ: Are you saying that if I go to Switzerland, and I look and sound like an American, but have a Mexican passport, they'll open a bank account for me?

DC: It depends. Here in Uruguay, where I'm still hanging out on the beach, I went with a friend from South Africa to open a bank account, using her South African passport. I didn't say a word, so I could have been a South African too, for all they knew. Still, the bank officer asked her: "Are you also a US citizen?" and "Are you resident in the US?"

LJ: The long arm of Uncle Sam keeps getting longer.

DC: It really is getting harder and harder. Banks really don't want the aggravations that come with dealing with "US persons" and their bullying government. Of course, it's all going to eventually backfire on the US, but in the meantime it's going to get worse.

LJ: Yes – I don't like it when they ask for my passport at hotels, and I hate it when they say they have to keep it.

DC: As well you should, for all kinds of reasons. You never know how good the security at the hotel is, and the inconvenience of a lost or stolen passport is substantial. I'd say a second one is a good thing to have, just on principle. An alternative would be to get documents from some of those people trying to set up new countries, like Sealand, the WWII gun platform off the coast of England taken over by Roy Bates. I spent an afternoon with him once, but foolishly never signed up as a citizen. Oh well… Other outfits sell reproduction passports of defunct or renamed countries like Rhodesia and British Honduras.

LJ: I shudder to think of what "inconvenience" means to a man who finds it amusing to argue with immigration officials in back rooms in flyspeck countries… But at any rate, mentioning purveyors of passports from defunct countries underscores the importance of telling our readers that there are a lot of scams out there, and that it pays to be very skeptical of websites that claim to be able to set you up with documents, corporations, and bank accounts overseas. There are freelance thieves to worry about, and worse – governments trying to entrap so-called tax evaders and money launderers. There's no need to take such risks when you can go to any of the many countries that encourage immigration and permanent residency, and acquire government-issued documents legally.

DC: Yes, these are indeed shark-infested waters. You really have to do things in a totally correct and proper way. For instance, there always seem to be people running around who have passports stolen from the issuing agency, and some fools buy them, not realizing they'll not only lose their money, but might wind up in jail besides. But, even among perfectly legitimate documents, not all passports are created equal.

LJ: Why would that be?

DC: The defining characteristic of a "good" passport is how much visa-free travel it allows. And by that I really mean visas that have to be applied for, and approved, before the trip begins, as opposed to those issued at the border. Avoiding those is the real key value.

In spite of its reputation, a US passport is by no means the best one to have. First, if you have one, you're a US taxpayer, which is very inconvenient, but it also means you need visas for a lot more countries than you would with some other passport. Argentina, Chile, and Brazil, for instance, all charge Americans about $150 to issue a visa. It's a perverse form of reciprocity, as that's what the US government charges their citizens. It's the same kind of thinking that starts trade wars, and I expect more of it in the years to come – but that's another subject.

Speaking of South America, two passports that are relatively quick and easy to get are those from Uruguay and Paraguay. Both countries are members of the Mercosur group of South American countries, which offers some additional advantages to their nationals.

One of the best, I'm given to understand – and this is constantly changing – is a Singapore passport. I also understand that Singapore has a number of ways to become a citizen in a relatively short period of time.

LJ: What are some of the shortcuts to second citizenship?

DC: One of the best is if you have parents or grandparents from a country that will give you citizenship on that basis. Ireland and Italy are known for this. It's true, under some circumstances, for the UK as well. Saint Kitts is a relatively easy place to get a passport quite quickly, but it involves a significant investment that adds up to a couple hundred thousand dollars. Selling IDs is a significant source of income for the island.

And of course, in a number of countries you can obtain citizenship, and hence documents, relatively easily by marrying a national. Brazil is one, and a Brazilian passport is not a bad one to have.

There's information on this out there, but there have been scam reports done on this subject and many other sources that are simply unreliable, so watch out. I don't think there's ever been a truly definitive study done on all the ways, in all the 200 or so countries in the world. I believe my book The International Man was the first to really explore the ground – but it's long out of date. Even if there were a current book, it would have to be updated monthly to be of real value – governments are always changing their rules. And when it comes down to the particulars of a given situation, you'll want to hire a tax attorney and maybe an immigration one as well, to make sure everything is done correctly.

It's generally better not to try for shortcuts, but to move to a place you like living in, at least part of the year. Operating through the established, legally recognized channels, you can get a passport in two to five years.

LJ: Okay. And, to be clear, the US allows second citizenships?

DC: Yes. Many countries don't, and are strict about it. Others don't, but look the other way. You may feel you want to keep your US documents for various practical reasons, but remember that keeping your US citizenship means remaining a US taxpayer, which is most undesirable.

LJ: I read that if your income is less than $100,000 per year and you live abroad, it's not taxed, so maybe the tax issue is less important to people who earn less than you?

DC: That's true, but that exemption only applies only on income earned outside the US You still pay capital gains taxes, and taxes on US-sourced income. I also understand that under current law, until 2013, there's a $5 million exemption on appreciated expatriated assets. That means there's a window closing soon on some of the benefits of getting rid of your US citizenship.

LJ: Any reasons other than taxes you'd want to get rid of your US citizenship? If I were young enough, I'd worry about conscription, for example.

DC: That's a very good reason. More generally, as long as you're a citizen of a country, that country's government is going to treat you like its property. So, if you are going to be a citizen of any place, which is unfortunately necessary, it's better to be a citizen of a small and backward country, or one that just doesn't have the ability or interest to monitor all of its citizens like prison inmates, as the US does.

LJ: I hear that. It's such a pity that America the beautiful has turned into the United State and is rapidly marching down the road to serfdom… I really loved America.

DC: Nothing lasts forever, Lobo. It's suicidal to let sentimentality blind you to reality. But, eternal optimist that I am, it's always good to look at one of the major bright sides of the ongoing financial and economic collapse. Namely that the governments of most advanced nation-states are bankrupt. There's a chance that some of them will be forced to cut back on their most noisome activities. There's even a chance that one or two will be completely hollowed out and will exist mostly in theory, like Rome in the late 5th century.

It's very hard to predict what will happen, so it's best to have a Plan B. And a Plan C. Unfortunately, most people have a medieval serf mentality – although they don't know it, and probably wouldn't admit it even if they did – and have no plan at all, because they think everything is fine.

LJ: I agree. And you know I'm diversifying out of the US as well. Any other essential points?

DC: Yes, remember that getting a second passport is just part of a larger "permanent traveler" strategy. The ideal is to live in one place, have your citizenship in another, your banks and brokers in other jurisdictions, and your business dealings in yet others. That makes it very inconvenient for any one government to control you. You don't want all your eggs in one basket – that just makes it easier for them to grab them all. I understand it may not be easy for most people to structure their affairs that way. That's exactly why most serfs stayed serfs; it was hard and scary to think of anything other than what they were told they should do.

LJ: Understood. Thanks for the guidance.

The more of your wealth you have in your home country, the greater the risks to your capital. That's why it's critical to start protecting your assets by moving them abroad as soon as possible. To help you do just that, Casey Research is hosting a web video event at 2 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, April 30. Internationalize Your Assets features investment experts Doug Casey, Peter Schiff, Mike Maloney, and more. This must-see webinar will reveal offshore strategies you can easily implement to protect what's rightfully yours. Click here (http://tinyurl.com/c48fype) for details and to register.

tangent4ronpaul
04-17-2013, 07:34 AM
link?

what are local laws and political conditions?
do they have extradition agreements with the US?
what about local taxes?
etc.

-t

Anti Federalist
04-17-2013, 07:40 AM
DC: That's a very good reason. More generally, as long as you're a citizen of a country, that country's government is going to treat you like its property. So, if you are going to be a citizen of any place, which is unfortunately necessary, it's better to be a citizen of a small and backward country, or one that just doesn't have the ability or interest to monitor all of its citizens like prison inmates, as the US does.

Truth.

nbruno322
04-17-2013, 09:19 PM
link?

what are local laws and political conditions?
do they have extradition agreements with the US?
what about local taxes?
etc.

-t

http://www.internationalman.com/79-im-interviews/75-doug-casey-on-second-passports

MRK
04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
In the past week, I have been thinking a lot about everything that has been mentioned here. Thank you so much for posting this, it will be very helpful to me.

"The ideal is to live in one place, have your citizenship in another, your banks and brokers in other jurisdictions, and your business dealings in yet others. That makes it very inconvenient for any one government to control you.

This is probably the best idea in the whole article. I had all the pieces of this idea but I didn't quite put it together like this. I knew diversifying between two countries had its advantages - but splitting all your presences into four groups so that you minimize your risk of a government throwing you in the stockades for slighting your overseers is the best idea I've seen in a long time. At that point, you just have to make sure there's minimal collusion between those governments.

jclay2
04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
bump. This is some powerful stuff. So what is someone to do with less assets to protect and on the younger side?

phill4paul
04-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Second passports are easy depending on who you work for...

In recent years, the state of Washington has issued nearly 300 fictitious driver licenses to the CIA. That's according to public records initially disclosed, but now withheld, by state officials. The state’s cooperation with the nation's premier spy agency has been a secret for years -- unknown to lawmakers and even the governor.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-cia-obtains-false-ids-from-washington-dept-of-licensing/

Gaddafi Duck
04-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Doug Casey is an interesting fellow...most of his advice is impractical unless you have tens of thousands of disposable dollars to take the most obscure precautions.

Meh..I used to be caught up in "seeing the world"..then I did see some of it. I still do. I can't imagine relocating to another country, thousands of miles away from anyone I know or love. Many times finding myself without fresh drinking water as most countries don't have water fountains. Bathrooms are often pay-to-use in foreign countries as well..or you have to squat if you're in the Orient (no seats). The ATMs sometimes are tempermental...the Internet access is hit or miss, and often censored altogether. The languages are funny..and most people just stare at you when you get on a bus. Say whatever you want about America, but yah gotta admit, there's no country like ours with the level of diversity. If you're Asian, European, African, or South American, people in the USA don't really care. Hop on a bus in Mexico or take a subway in China...tell me how out of place you feel everytime when everyone just STARES AT YOU..rude and annoying...the only country I felt at-home with was Singapore, and maybe Hong Kong. But, again, I don't have millions of dollars to get a second passport for either of those places, or the money to maintain property there. And, if I had millions of dollars, I probably wouldn't need to seek out Doug Casey.

Yeah, I'll get right on getting that Uruguayan passport. I'll maroon myself into a foreign country and leave my family/friends to avoid a tyrannical government...or I could just walk over to Colorado and live in the Rockies and no one will bother me. Beats having to deal with the inconveniences of a foreign country, and I don't have to go thru Customs to see my family.

Sorry, but I'm not leaving to go to some random country I have no cultural or family ties to. If the government really does get that tyrannical, I'd say it'd be too late anyway...Nazi Germany didn't let you take more than 5 marks out of the country in the 1930's...sooo...yeah...and, if it ever gets so bad that I would be driven to insanity and ponder leaving to go to some country without my family, just for the sake of living a "free life", then life would suck. Cool, I can smoke cigars and yuck it up with Doug Casey and his friends on his private Chilean getaway. Just what I always wanted.

It's a novel idea, it really is. A second passport...fleeing the country to live it out on the international frontier...only...most countries DON'T have a 1st, 2nd, 4th, or 5th amendment. At least we go thru the motions of pretending we do. But...is it really practical or fun to do any of this? Visit a country, that's fine. Live there?? Oh my.. have fun.

Mike4Freedom
04-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Doug Casey is an interesting fellow...most of his advice is impractical unless you have tens of thousands of disposable dollars to take the most obscure precautions.

I am in the process of getting my italian passport. I need one more document. All in all it looks like around 1000 grand spent. That includes the documents I had to get sent from Italy, the ones I need from the US. The cost of the Italian passport.

I am so glad that I am doing all of this too.

gwax23
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Good thread. I recommend all RPFers inquire into second passports and citizenship as a insurance.

Sovereign Man Blog is a great source of information on this and other libertarian issues.

Im currently in the process of acquiring my 3rd passport.

gwax23
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I am in the process of getting my italian passport. I need one more document. All in all it looks like around 1000 grand spent. That includes the documents I had to get sent from Italy, the ones I need from the US. The cost of the Italian passport.

Same here. My father is an Italian Citizen and my Grandparents on my Mothers side where Italian citizens. Im entitled to relatively quick citizenship on jus sanguis. This also gives me a European Union passport and the right to work and move freely across europe which is also a big plus.

Why did you have to pay so much??

nbruno322
04-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Good thread. I recommend all RPFers inquire into second passports and citizenship as a insurance.

Sovereign Man Blog is a great source of information on this and other libertarian issues.

Im currently in the process of acquiring my 3rd passport.

This is Doug Casey's International Man site, another great resource for this topic

www.internationalman.com/about-im

Doug Casey’s International Man Network is a highly-actionable and practical service for new and experienced freedom-seekers, investors, adventurers, speculators and expatriates who are looking to make the most of their personal freedom and financial opportunity around the world.

Become internationalized to reduce the political risk of being dependent on any single, and potentially desperate, government.

There are 4 broad areas of internationalization.

Savings: This area covers how to setup foreign bank/brokerage/financial accounts, foreign real estate and "bolt-holes" in case of trouble, moving and owning gold overseas, and structures like foreign trusts that help to legally reduce taxes.

Yourself: Obtaining second passports, establishing legal residency in foreign countries, and formal renunciation.

Income: The structuring of your cash flows to reduce dependency on any one source in any one jurisdiction. Establishing additional sources of revenue, international investment opportunities and trends, setting up an international business in a foreign country.

Digital Presence: This commonly includes your IP address (which can often pinpoint you to a precise physical address), email account, online file storage, and the components of personal/business websites.

nbruno322
04-18-2013, 09:57 PM
bump. This is some powerful stuff. So what is someone to do with less assets to protect and on the younger side?

I know a lot of people who are younger and not rich who got their foot in the door for work permits, residency, and eventually citizenship in foreign countries by teaching English.

MRK
04-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I had the opportunity to get Hungarian citizenship when they passed a temporary law a couple years back. Then I looked at their tax rates and I lol'd hard. I wouldn't even want to use it as a backup. I guess it could've allowed me to move into some other EU zones though. But I don't want to get tempted into settling for just any old country.

nbruno322
04-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Good luck to you! A close friend went through the process a few years ago through his great grandfather, ended up getting Italian passports for his whole family. It didn't cost more than $500 for all the documents, legalization, etc, but it took about a 1.5 years of processing.

nbruno322
04-18-2013, 10:00 PM
I had the opportunity to get Hungarian citizenship when they passed a temporary law a couple years back. Then I looked at their tax rates and I lol'd hard. I wouldn't even want to use it as a backup. I guess it could've allowed me to move into some other EU zones though. But I don't want to get tempted into settling for just any old country.

they don't tax you unless you live in Hungary. The US on the other hand, unlike basically every other country in the world, taxes you no matter where you live.

Mike4Freedom
04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
deleted

gwax23
04-19-2013, 08:15 AM
I needed to get a bunch of birth certificates in Italy at 125 euro a pop. I am a citizen by rights now but I needed a lot of documents. 3 birth certificates, 1 marriage cert, 1 divorce cert, a green card and then you have to get the apostile versions and you need to translate them the correct way. Plus I have to drive to philly and pay for parking plus the cost of the italian passport, plus the cost of making the appointment over the phone to the consulate in philly.

I should of got the certificates when I was there, both my parents were born in Italy but did not have there birth certificates, lol

Have you gone through this process yet?

Not yet. Im still waiting for my. Meeting with the consulate in NY they are very bureaucratic and inefficient.

Shredmonster
04-19-2013, 08:47 AM
I have always read getting citizenship in another country was quite difficult and there were a lot of shady people in the business of claiming they could arrange this for a person. So I take it a passport is different than citizenship then ? I don't know much about this kind of thing really.

I have read it really takes a lot of money and time to do some of this stuff.

Then what do you do with your IRA and 401K accounts ?

My great grandparents were Italian. Curious if that would be of any significance. My grandfather was russian jew whatever that means.

And where do you track birth certificates and such ? Very interesting topic.

nbruno322
04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Another thought provoking piece along the same lines...

Doug Casey on Moving Your Savings Abroad

In a wide-ranging interview with Casey Research editor Louis James, Doug Casey discusses why it's imperative to start diversifying one's assets today, and provides some guidance in considering countries to diversify into.

L: Doug, we're getting a lot of questions from readers on how to follow your advice to diversify assets politically. I know it's a prickly subject, but what can you tell us about getting our money out from behind the new iron curtain that seems to be descending?

Doug: First – and I can't stress this enough – you've got to accept the grim reality of impending currency controls. The modern era of foreign exchange controls really started with the perversely Orwellian-named Bank Secrecy Act of 1970. For the first time, that made it obligatory for US citizens to report any foreign bank or brokerage accounts they had to the government.

But the threat is older than that, of course, going back to 1933, when Roosevelt confiscated Americans' gold. Interestingly enough, only gold bullion held by Americans within the United States was confiscated. If you had gold outside the United States, you were insulated.

L: I didn't know that – if history repeats itself, that could be a key tactical factor for our readers to consider.

Doug: Yes. There are no guarantees, of course. Those in government today think they can do absolutely anything they deem necessary and expedient. But at least if it's out of their physical bailiwick, it improves your odds.

L: Why do you think they allowed that exemption last time? I doubt it was because they had any shred of respect for private property – maybe they just recognized that trying to seize gold overseas would be impractical.

Doug: Good question. Well, the 1930s were a different era. Communication, for one thing, was vastly slower and more expensive than it is now. And you have to remember that though we had an income tax in the 1930s, since 1913 actually, very few people were paying it – even among those allegedly legally obligated to pay it. It was hard for the government to find out who they were, and how much they were earning, and so on. Even though there were only 140 million people in the country then, the absence of computers and much less centralization made it very hard for Washington to keep tabs on them.

L: The income tax really was a voluntary tax back then!

Doug: [Laughs] Much more so than now – it really was a different era. At any rate, based on this history and that the juggernaut is building momentum towards the bottom of the ditch, I have to reiterate my advice on the most important investment decision you can make. And it isn't one among the different classes of investment; it's political and geographical diversification. Simply put, that's because no matter where you live, your government is the greatest threat to your wealth today.

If you're a high-income earner, the state basically takes 50% of what you earn, and then from what's left, you have to pay your real estate taxes, sales taxes, and many, many other kinds of taxes. Government is without question the biggest danger to your financial health. You've got to diversify your assets so they are not all under any one government's control.

L: You say that in almost every speech you give these days, and you said it in one of our interviews a couple of weeks ago.

Doug: Yes, and it bears repeating, constantly. It's the elephant in the room that very, very few people pay any attention to, and it's going to stomp most people to death, for just that reason.

L: Okay, so give us a primer. For those who want to avoid getting crushed by the elephant, where do they begin?

Doug: To start with, it makes all the sense in the world to have a foreign bank account. Not a hidden one – I'm not advising anyone to break any laws. You report it on your annual tax filings. So, the government will know about it, but if it's a foreign bank account, they can't just step in and lock down your assets in an instant.

L: Does Canada count as a foreign country for Americans?

Doug: I'll probably get hate mail for saying so, but it's important for investors to recognize that Canada is a sort of "USA Light." When Washington says, "Jump!," Ottawa says, "How high?" Nonetheless, if only for the sake of formalities and legal pleasantries, US citizens would have some degree of insulation with a Canadian bank account. And, as a general rule, Canadian banks are more solvent than US banks, so setting up a Canadian bank account is an easy first step for many US investors.

The second thing to do would be to set up a Canadian brokerage account. Unfortunately, the SEC has made it so that no Canadian broker will open an account with an American unless they have a US subsidiary. That, in effect, makes your Canadian brokerage account like a US brokerage account. That doesn't help you much from an asset-protection point of view, but it does let you trade directly in many of the stocks we recommend in the International Speculator and the Casey Energy Report (not through a US market-maker via the pink sheets).

Third, I think that having a safe deposit box in Canada is vastly preferable to having one in the US. You probably do remember that when Roosevelt confiscated gold in 1933, he also sealed safe deposit boxes in all US banks. No American could visit a safe deposit box for some time without a government agent accompanying him. That could certainly happen again.

And all of this is true in other countries around the world.

But yes, as an easy place to start, Canada is a sort of plain-vanilla jurisdiction that's worth giving a try.

L: So, what would be the French vanilla, or even the Bailey's Irish Cream jurisdiction? Is there such a thing as a tax haven anywhere in the world anymore? Even the Swiss have caved… I just heard that they just started handing over new account info to US authorities.

Doug: Yes, apparently there were some 50,000 accounts UBS had, owned by US citizens. UBS, a multinational bank with a very substantial presence in the United States – and therefore exposure to extortion by US authorities – was going to hand them all over. The Swiss government stepped in, saying they would prosecute UBS officials if they violated Swiss law by doing that. But the Swiss worked out some sort of compromise with the US authorities, so only about 5,000 accounts are being handed over. On what basis they picked these 5,000 is uncertain.

So, the first tax-haven rule is to never go to a place that's obviously a tax haven. If I were interested in bank privacy, I'd forget about places like the Bahamas or the Caymans. It makes no sense at all today. All those little island republics are totally under the thumb of the US at this point. And they've always been infiltrated with stooges. They may have bank secrecy laws, but they don't have a tradition of privacy like Switzerland has – although that's no longer what it was.

You'll recall how the German government bribed a Liechtenstein banker to steal account names and information. The Germans then turned over relevant data to the UK, US, and other governments, who were quite happy to receive stolen goods. And there was about zero protest over the appalling theft. It's a testimony to how thoughtless and ethically complacent most people are; when a state commits a crime, they just overlook it.

L: Are you saying that all of the little havens are unreliable?

Doug: Well, I don't know of any that are reliable.

Instead, I would recommend places that are geographically distant from the US – and culturally distant as well. To me, the best places to be are in the Orient. That's partially because the Chinese and other Oriental civilizations are much less prone to roll over and do what they are told. National pride ensures that, if nothing else.

But if you go this route, with, say, an account in Hong Kong, you certainly would not want to use a bank like HSBC. It's got branches all over the world, prominently in the US – so, like UBS, they'll do what they are told.

Actually, there are still Swiss banks that will open an account for a "US person," if you can convince them to do it. But you definitely do not want a Swiss or Liechtenstein bank that has any presence in the US. The same would be true in the Orient – so forget about HSBC. You want a real Chinese bank. That way, when the US government calls, the phone will be answered in Chinese and no one will speak English with them.

The best places are the least obvious places. Malaysia is interesting. Thailand. These are completely non-tax-haven types of places – and that might make them suitable.

L: What about step two, getting a brokerage account?

Doug: Well, it's tough these days. If you want to trade in US and Canadian stocks, you pretty much have to have an American or Canadian broker. But one thing that can be done that is completely legal (and reportable) is to open up a foreign company. Then the company can open up a brokerage account. That way, you do have a level of insulation I think is very valuable, both from a practical and a legal point of view.

L: I gather you're not talking about the banana republic IBCs I see peddled on the Internet?

Doug: Right. Most of what you see on the Internet offering to open up an IBC – which is just an offshore company – are just scams, if not stings. The fees are too high. The people are usually sleazy. They often come up with all sorts of cockamamie tax-avoidance schemes. You may be encouraged to do things that are illegal. They are just disasters waiting for you to walk into. I strongly encourage people not to even consider such offerings.

If you want an offshore company for the purpose of convenience or a measure of privacy, completely reportable and within the law, the best thing to do is to go to the jurisdiction you've picked and see a lawyer who deals in that sort of business. Cut out the middleman. Ideally, the jurisdiction would be one that meets the criteria I outlined above, but is also a place you'd actually enjoy spending time in.

L: So, you hop on a plane to, say, Panama, and… how do you go about finding a reliable attorney to set up your corporation?

Doug: That's the intelligent way to do it. There's nothing illegal, nor particularly tricky about it; you just find a lawyer who specializes in it, pay the fees, and off you go.

How do you find a good lawyer? Same way you do at home; you go and start interviewing lawyers until you find one that impresses you as being sound.

Panama, by the way, is probably the best place to do this at this moment. The British Virgin Islands may be another. And, of course, if you're an Australian or a New Zealander, you should think about Vanuatu – it's only a two-hour plane ride from Sydney or Auckland.

L: That's really all it takes? Find a lawyer and pay the fees?

Doug: Yes, though there can be nuances worth paying attention to. For example, there are various jurisdictions with different tax treaties that can be used to your advantage. The Dutch Antilles being a famous example, as far as dividends treatment goes. This is a specialist area that, well, you should discuss with a specialist. But you should definitely give it some thought.

Oddly enough, you can import gold into Argentina with no problems nor reporting requirements, and you can buy and sell gold in Argentina just as easily. It's much easier than in Uruguay, but I wouldn't dream of doing any significant banking in Argentina – and neither do Argentines. The government is just completely untrustworthy when it comes to things like bank accounts.

So, it's rather perverse; you can deal easily in gold in Argentina, but not bank accounts, and you can't deal in gold easily in Uruguay, but bank accounts are easy.

Frankly, the best place to look for one-stop financial services shopping is Panama. Banking is easy, and there's no gold reporting.

L: What about your cash, once you have your offshore bank account set up? You have to declare it if you take more than $10,000 on your person, but can you wire whatever you want?

Doug: Yes, you can send any amount of money you want, currently. It gets reported, but it's basically unregulated. And by the way, the $10,000 limit doesn't cover gold, but it does cover stock certificates and other financial instruments – but you can still send those by Federal Express.

L: I wonder how long that will last…

Doug: I'm sure they'll get 'round to closing all the loopholes. So, the time to act is now. We'll keep monitoring the situation, but when this happens, the Powers that Be won't want anyone to see it coming, so it will zing in from left field. Your only chance to protect your wealth is to start diversifying its exposure to any one particular predatory state as soon as possible.

I have to stress again the urgency of diversifying the political risk your assets are exposed to: do it now.

L: Okay, Doug – thanks!

Doug: You're welcome.

Your first step toward internationally diversifying your wealth is to tune in to a Casey Research webinar on the subject. Internationalizing Your Assets premiers at 2 p.m. Eastern Time on Tuesday, April 30. Doug Casey – Casey Research chairman and a New York Times best-selling author – highlights a blue-ribbon cast of financial experts who will reveal their favorite strategies for protecting your wealth abroad. Get more information and register now. (http://tinyurl.com/ck9fab2)

www.internationalman.com/78-global-perspectives/913-doug-casey-on-internationalizing-your-assets