PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatry Is Used To Circumvent the Right Against Hearsay And The Right To Confrontation

better-dead-than-fed
04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Under current practice, governmental reliance on psychiatric opinions is a menace to liberty. The corrupt or incompetent psychiatrist is free in court to misrepresent statements made to him earlier by a patient/suspect. Such hearsay testimony is regularly admitted in judicial proceedings.

A secret examination ... is fraught with dangers of the highest degree to a witness who may be prosecuted on charges related to or resulting from his interrogation. ... The witness has no effective way to challenge his interrogator’s testimony as to what was said and done at the secret inquisition. The officer’s version frequently may reflect an inaccurate understanding of an accused's statements or, on occasion, may be deliberately distorted or falsified. While the accused may protest against these misrepresentations, his protestations will normally be in vain.

... Secret inquisitions are dangerous things justly feared by free men everywhere. They are the breeding place for arbitrary misuse of official power. They are often the beginning of tyranny as well as indispensable instruments for its survival. Modern as well as ancient history bears witness that both innocent and guilty have been seized by officers of the state and whisked away for secret interrogation or worse until the groundwork has been securely laid for their inevitable conviction. While the labels applied to this practice have frequently changed, the central idea wherever and whenever carried out remains unchanging—extraction of “statements” by one means or another from an individual by officers of the state while he is held incommunicado. I reiterate my belief that it violates the Due Process Clause to compel a person to answer questions at a secret interrogation where he is denied legal assistance and where he is subject to the uncontrolled and invisible exercise of power by government officials. Such procedures are a grave threat to the liberties of a free people. -- In re Groban, 352 US 330 - Supreme Court 1957, Justice Black dissenting (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=7812116990016600848&q=352+U.S.+330&hl=en&as_sdt=2,3)

The corrupt or incompetent psychiatrist is also free in court to convey false statements made to him earlier by third parties, even when those third parties are unavailable in court for cross-examination.

I've been at the wrong end of many a government-controlled psychiatrist. Most recently, a court was on the verge of forcing me to take a mind-altering medication which I did not want or need. The government put their quack on the witness stand, the judge let him jabber away, misrepresenting the statements I'd actually made earlier during the psychiatrist's interrogation of me (in private, with no witnesses). It was not looking good for me, and then I mentioned, by the way judge, a recording was made of my meeting with the psychiatrist, and I'm planning to admit that recording as evidence. The judge looked disappointed, and the government backed off.

tttppp
04-16-2013, 08:16 PM
In order to hold you you are suppose to be a harm to self or others. Doctors ignore this rule and do what they want. They are also suppose to have clear and convincing evidence to force med you, however judges just ignore the patients and listen to whatever bs the psychiatrists make up.

DamianTV
04-16-2013, 08:37 PM
So pretty much everyone is allowed to lie in court, except the defendant.

better-dead-than-fed
04-16-2013, 08:41 PM
In my case, the law required less than a clear/convincing showing of dangerousnessness; this because I'd been indicted on criminal charges. Once that's done, different standards control.

In all cases, though, I think the law makes it easy for hearsay to be admitted in court by psychiatrists; for no good reason.

John of Des Moines
04-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Rule of Thumb:

Testimony excluded at trial based on the Hearsay Rule is found on a small and lonely island in the Sea of Exceptions.

S.Shorland
04-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Psychiatrist Thomas Szasz.Ignore the microphone ruffle.It only lasts a minute or two on both occassions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC9r3Gs8XuU&list=HL1366182797

It is a means of State control in that they can imprison you for life.He gives the example of a man shooting at the Whitehouse at the time he gave the speech.

better-dead-than-fed
04-17-2013, 01:27 AM
... they can imprison you for life....

Whatever life you're left with after they force life-shortening drugs on you.

S.Shorland
04-17-2013, 01:35 AM
That's what he means: It's a branch of State enforcement that allows torture and greater prison sentences than people would think fair.The true face of the State behind a caring mask.
Whatever life you're left with after they force life-shortening drugs on you.

better-dead-than-fed
04-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Rule of Thumb:

Testimony excluded at trial based on the Hearsay Rule is found on a small and lonely island in the Sea of Exceptions.

The Advisory Committee for the Federal Rules of Evidence gave the following justification (for Rule 703 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rule_703), but pertaining to hearsay-exception):

Notes of Advisory Committee on Proposed Rules

... a physician in his own practice bases his diagnosis on information from numerous sources and of considerable variety, including statements by patients and relatives, reports and opinions from nurses, technicians and other doctors, hospital records, and X rays. Most of them are admissible in evidence, but only with the expenditure of substantial time in producing and examining various authenticating witnesses. The physician makes life-and-death decisions in reliance upon them. His validation, expertly performed and subject to cross-examination, ought to suffice for judicial purposes.

"ought to suffice". Sure, assuming that no psychiatrist might ever be incompetent or motivated by some political, religious, or financial agenda.