PDA

View Full Version : Reid short of votes on gun control

RonPaulFanInGA
04-16-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/reid-short-of-votes-on-gun-control-90082.html

itshappening
04-16-2013, 10:25 AM
WHIP COUNT: 4 GOP for, 3 Dems Against = 56 votes for gun control.

Contact senators:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

IN: Pressure Democrat Donnelly.

LA: Pressure Democrat Landrieu.

ND: Pressure Democrat Heitkamp.

Potential traitors:

TN: Alexander and Corker are known traitors -> Keep them in line!

GA: Pressure Isakson -> Keep him in line!

NV: Heller is wavering -> Tell him to vote NO!

NH: Ayotte is wavering -> Keep her in line!

Contact now:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

itshappening
04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Bump.

Noob
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Emergency Fax Petition No Gun Control - No Deals

http://nagr.org/emergency_fax_petition.aspx?pid=10b

itshappening
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Mark Kelly, the husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), is threatening to back an election challenge against Sen. Jeff Flake if the Arizona Republican votes against legislation to expand background checks.

At a Christian Science Monitor breakfast on Tuesday Kelly said he would back an opponent to Flake if the "right candidate" was available and if the senator failed to support a background check bill, according to reports.

Flake, who is not up for reelection until 2018, has been close to Kelly and Giffords, but Kelly said the issue of control trumped their ties.

"You know, friendship is one thing," Kelly said. "Saving people's lives, especially first graders, is another thing."

SOURCE:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/294147-mark-kelly-threatens-to-back-challenger-to-flake-over-gun-control-votes#ixzz2QdwrS6IG
-

Yeah ok, how would any of this save lives? Moron

Noob
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
So its ok for him to shoot guns, but not ok for you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/mark-kelly-shooting-gun_n_3046042.html

itshappening
04-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Stand yourself Mr. Kelly, see how you do in AZ calling for gun control

Actually, when all the immigrants are legal and have citizenship he will probably win.

Acala
04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Mark Kelly, the husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), is threatening to back an election challenge against Sen. Jeff Flake if the Arizona Republican votes against legislation to expand background checks.

At a Christian Science Monitor breakfast on Tuesday Kelly said he would back an opponent to Flake if the "right candidate" was available and if the senator failed to support a background check bill, according to reports.

Flake, who is not up for reelection until 2018, has been close to Kelly and Giffords, but Kelly said the issue of control trumped their ties.

"You know, friendship is one thing," Kelly said. "Saving people's lives, especially first graders, is another thing."

SOURCE:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/294147-mark-kelly-threatens-to-back-challenger-to-flake-over-gun-control-votes#ixzz2QdwrS6IG
-

Yeah ok, how would any of this save lives? Moron

Guess who the right candidate will be? I predict Mark Kelly.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Few hundred thousand illegals made legal would give him an edge over the Flake

RonPaulFanInGA
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Mark Kelly

I swear, when I read that Flake was opposed to this, I knew there would be media stories about Mark Kelly's opinion on it. The man is the biggest camera whore.

Melissa
04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Called Donnelly and sent out a notice for others to call..

itshappening
04-16-2013, 11:20 AM
"My votes for sale.... "

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2013/04/09/0409_MALO_Soul_performance002_t607.JPG

"... For another ticket to a White House party."

-

Corker is a problem. He says he will support the bill if it's amended. Toomey and Manchin say they're looking at making changes. If they do and Corker supports it that could bring along fellow traveler Alexander and some others to push it over 60 votes.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Called Donnelly and sent out a notice for others to call..

Good job!!

sailingaway
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
That's too close. This is nuts. Let doctors without due process or your even knowing decide you shouldn't have a gun, just because they are liberal gun phobic people or from a country where guns aren't allowed and on a political crusade?

itshappening
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
@jbendery: Tried to ask Sens. Heitkamp and Begich today about if they were still undecided on BG checks. They both ran away. Fast.

brushfire
04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Harry should not worry - I'm sure certain, so called 2A advocacy groups, will be there to help him push the "universal background check" agenda forward.

jbauer
04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm in TN. Alexander wont return phone calls or email. Corkers office made it sound like he'd be in favor of it. Which in the long run for TN politics would be great because we'd finally get his ass out of there in 6 years. There is NO WAY you vote for gun control in TN and make it through your primary, especially if his vote is what gets it done.

I'd be happy to see BOTH our senators replaced.

Brett85
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
@jbendery: Tried to ask Sens. Heitkamp and Begich today about if they were still undecided on BG checks. They both ran away. Fast.

Begich voted against bringing the bill to the floor, so I don't see why he would actually vote for the BG checks when he actually voted against bringing the bill to the floor.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Begich voted against bringing the bill to the floor, so I don't see why he would actually vote for the BG checks when he actually voted against bringing the bill to the floor.

Pryor and Begich voted against bringing it to the floor.

We're assuming that Begich, Pryor and Baucus are no's. But that might change if Toomey/Manchin change their bill. Heitkamp and Landrieu have not made any public comments as to if they will support it. Corker and Alexander are worrisome. Ayotte and Heller have not said anything either.

It's close. Probably so close even if they scrape 60 votes the House will not run with it.

If the traitors vote as a block then they can get to 60 or 61 votes but they have to lose no red state Democrats like Heitkamp, Donnelly and Landrieu.

So they're facing an uphill climb here... and even if they get there it's too slim for the house to worry about.

supermario21
04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Pryor is the biggest fraudster in the Senate and he is going to be defeated anyways in 2 years. He's trying to hide the fact he voted for the AWB in 2004.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
@Chris_Moody: VP Biden said on his way out that the Senate is just two votes short on the gun bill.
-

He must have all his Democrats in line plus Ayotte and Heller.

Bad news...

it's going to be down to the TN pair + Isakson.

But even if they get them it's surely going no where in the House.

Acala
04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
@Chris_Moody: VP Biden said on his way out that the Senate is just two votes short on the gun bill.
-

Bad news...

I think you are right, but I really want it to die NOW. An ignominious death. A humiliating death. A death that says "Gun control is dead in the USA."

tsai3904
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO
Heller (R-NV) is a "no" on Toomey-Manchin

Heller's statement:

When it comes to national policy choices on issues such as Constitutional liberties, gun violence and public safety, the stakes could not be higher. The enormity of this issue has weighed heavily on me. While I was home this past weekend, my family and I ate at the Carson IHOP where four people lost their lives and several were injured. The survivors of that senseless shooting in the morning hours of September 6, 2011, deserve this debate.

“I believe very strongly that our current background check system needs strengthening and improving, particularly in areas that could keep guns out of the hands of felons and the mentally ill. At the same time, I cannot support legislation that infringes upon the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Despite the good faith efforts of Senators Manchin and Toomey, the onerous paperwork and expansion of federal power mandated in this legislation are too great of a concern. I believe that this legislation could lead to the creation of a national gun registry and puts additional burdens on law-abiding citizens. For these reasons, I cannot vote for this legislation

http://www.heller.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ID=26bbd326-1dca-4f57-8785-36c33fdfe0f6

itshappening
04-16-2013, 04:02 PM
They must have Corker then!

I knew it. He's despicable.

Brett85
04-16-2013, 04:03 PM
-

Bad news...

I don't think they'll have Pryor and Begich when they voted against even bringing the bill to the floor. Most likely they've lost two Democrats and gained five Republicans, which would make 58. They probably gained Ayotte or one of the Tennessee Senators.

Brett85
04-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Pryor is the biggest fraudster in the Senate and he is going to be defeated anyways in 2 years. He's trying to hide the fact he voted for the AWB in 2004.

He also voted for Obamacare, which will sink him.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 04:06 PM
3 Dems against and 4 GOP for puts them on 56.

They probably have Ayotte and Corker to get to 58.

"My votes for sale.... "

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2013/04/09/0409_MALO_Soul_performance002_t607.JPG

"... For another ticket to a White House party."

Brett85
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
If Ayotte votes for it then maybe we can at least forget about all this talk about Ayotte for President or Ayotte for Vice President.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-16-2013, 04:22 PM
If Ayotte votes for it then maybe we can at least forget about all this talk about Ayotte for President or Ayotte for Vice President.

Forgetting who the last GOP nominee was?

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/567366/thumbs/s-ROMNEY-NRA-large.jpg
Mitt Romney signs Massachusetts gun ban on July 1, 2004

Acala
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Forgetting who the last GOP nominee was?

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/567366/thumbs/s-ROMNEY-NRA-large.jpg
Mitt Romney signs Massachusetts gun ban on July 1, 2004

And the one before that? John "Gun ban" McCain? Both endorsed by the NRA?

I quit the NRA when they endorsed McCain. I wonder if they feel embarassed now?

itshappening
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
"We are working to get to 60, and it's fluid," Biden said. "I think we're there, but it's not unusual as you all know for people to make up their minds at the last minute."
-

He's working on Alexander and Isakson to get to 60 or he has to get one of Baucus/Pryor/Begich.

But it's surely futile.

WILL THEY VOTE FOR IT?

We'll see tomorrow.

Isakson and Alexander have little opposition back home so may feel like they can vote for this.

Brett85
04-16-2013, 04:32 PM
They're probably just going to barely get it like they got with Obamacare, but hopefully it has no chance of passing in the house. It will be easier to kill in the house since members of the house have elections every two years. If you notice none of the Republicans in the Senate who support this bill are up for re-election in 2014, except for Toomey who's in a blue state and doesn't have to worry much about a primary challenger.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Toomey's up in 2016

Acala
04-16-2013, 04:40 PM
They're probably just going to barely get it like they got with Obamacare, but hopefully it has no chance of passing in the house. It will be easier to kill in the house since members of the house have elections every two years. If you notice none of the Republicans in the Senate who support this bill are up for re-election in 2014, except for Toomey who's in a blue state and doesn't have to worry much about a primary challenger.

How stupid do you have to be to push this kind of law by a bare majority on a passionately divided and well-armed public?

torchbearer
04-16-2013, 04:40 PM
"We are working to get to 60, and it's fluid," Biden said. "I think we're there, but it's not unusual as you all know for people to make up their minds at the last minute."
-

He's working on Alexander and Isakson to get to 60 or he has to get one of Baucus/Pryor/Begich.

But it's surely futile.

WILL THEY VOTE FOR IT?

We'll see tomorrow.

Isakson and Alexander have little opposition back home so may feel like they can vote for this.

with a printing press, you can bribe any man.

Spoa
04-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Floor Monitor ‏@SenGOP_Floor 1m
At 4:00 PM tomorrow, 9 #Senate VOTES on amendments to the #Firearms bill

That is A LOT of votes. I'm sure that the Manchin-Toomey amdt will be one of them.

Spoa
04-16-2013, 07:26 PM
The following are the 9 Amendments that will be voted on tomorrow (I put the position that I know all liberty-supporting people should hold):

Manchin amend #715 (Background checks). AGAINST
Grassley amend # (Substitute amendment). ? MORE INFO NEEDED
Leahy-Collins amend #713 (Trafficking). AGAINST?
Cornyn amend #719 (Concealed carry). SUPPORT
Feinstein amend #711 (Assault weapons and clip bans). AGAINST
Burr amend #720 (Veterans and guns). SUPPORT?
Lautenberg-Blumenthal amend #714 (High-capacity clip ban). AGAINST
Barasso amend #717 (Privacy). SUPPORT?
Harkin-Alexander amend # (Relative to mental health). ? MORE INFO NEEDED

Spoa
04-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Burr (R-NC-supported motion to proceed) will oppose Toomey-Manchin "Compromise":

Senator Burr Announces Opposition to Manchin-Toomey Amendment

Today, Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) made the following statement in opposition to the Manchin-Toomey amendment to S. 649:

“I oppose the Manchin-Toomey amendment and will vote against it. I supported having a debate on the issue of violent crime, but as I made clear from the outset, I will oppose any legislation that chips away at our Constitutional rights. After reviewing the current text of the Manchin-Toomey proposal, I have numerous Second Amendment, due process and privacy concerns that make the legislation too problematic for it to ever become law.”

http://www.burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressOffice.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=13190e4a-ecf0-4e63-65f9-dc6878152437

itshappening
04-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Lol those amendments are designed for the red state dems to vote against and proclaim themselves pro-gun.

It's possible then they might have them all fully behind Toomey-Manchin and final passage will get 60/61/62 votes.

Brett85
04-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Should we be supporting the concealed carry amendment? I thought Ron and Amash voted against that because they felt that it violated the 10th amendment.

itshappening
04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
There should be a Paul amendment to repeal gun free zones and allow every principal to have a gun.

That's the only thing that would have stopped Lanza.

Spoa
04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Should we be supporting the concealed carry amendment? I thought Ron and Amash voted against that because they felt that it violated the 10th amendment.

My understanding is that this concealed carry amendment would let district attorneys carry guns in concealed carry fashion. In some places (Chicago or New York for example), DAs aren't allowed to even carry a gun. This amendment is saying that at the very least, DAs should be allowed to protect themselves.

Cornyn is proposing this in response to the shootings of several DAs in Texas and other states.

Spoa
04-16-2013, 07:42 PM
There should be a Paul amendment to repeal gun free zones and allow every principal to have a gun.

That's the only thing that would have stopped Lanza.

I believe he and Cruz proposed some sort of an amendment like that, but leadership won't let it come to a vote.

kathy88
04-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Toomey's up in 2016
Not soon enough, traitorous puke.

Noob
04-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Gun Control Bill: Secret FBI Checks on Job Applicants

The gun control legislation proposed by Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY), Pat Toomey (R-PA), and Joe Manchin (D-WV) lets firearms dealers secretly run government background checks on job applicants—a gross violation of privacy. Private-sector employers should not be able to use non-public government databases like the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to check up on job applicants, unless the job applicants first consent to the intrusion into their privacy. And the job applicants have every reason to consent—they want the job.

The Schumer-Toomey-Manchin (STM) bill provides that, 90 days after enactment of the STM bill, “the Attorney General shall promulgate regulations allowing licensees to use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) established under this section for purposes of conducting voluntary preemployment background checks on prospective employees.”

It is all well and good that the word “voluntary” leaves licensed firearm importers, manufacturers, or dealers free to use the NICS or not to screen job applicants, but the provision does not protect the privacy of a job applicant. The provision should require—not simply leave to the discretion of Attorney General Eric Holder to decide in his regulations whether to require—the employer to get the job applicant’s consent to the NICS background check.

Read more: http://conservativebyte.com/2013/04/gun-control-bill-secret-fbi-checks-on-job-applicants/#ixzz2QjB4esrR