PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court declines to hear gun rights case

tangent4ronpaul
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/15/us-usa-court-guns-idUSBRE93E0L820130415

Staying out of a raging national debate over guns, the Supreme Court on Monday declined to weigh in on whether gun owners have a constitutional right to carry handguns outside the home.

The court decided not to hear a challenge to a New York state law that requires those who want to carry a concealed handgun to show they have a special reason before they can get a license.

The gun owners challenging the law said that the right to bear arms enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is not limited to the right to keep a handgun at home.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, whose office defended the law, described the court's refusal to intervene as "a victory for families across New York who are rightly concerned about the scourge of gun violence that all too often plagues our communities."

In recent years, the Supreme Court has expanded gun rights, first by finding in the 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller case that the Second Amendment guaranteed an individual right to bear arms and then ruling two years later in McDonald v. City of Chicago, that the earlier ruling applied to the states.

The court's decision not to hear the New York case does not mean it could not take up the same legal question at a later date.

"There are a few more cases bubbling up," said Adam Winkler, an expert on the Second Amendment at the UCLA School of Law in Los Angeles. "There is a possibility the Supreme Court will be confronted with this issue soon," he added.

One potential case concerns an Illinois ban on concealed weapons. The Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said in December that the law was unconstitutional.

Gun control is currently in the public eye following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, four months ago and President Barack Obama's decision to push for legislation to curb gun violence. The Senate begins debate on Monday on gun control legislation that would expand background checks for gun buyers.

Alan Gura, the Alexandria, Virginia-based lawyer who represents the gun owners, could not be reached for comment.

The case is Kachalsky v. Cacace, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 12-845.

-t

Christian Liberty
04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm divided between "The second amendment gives us a right to bear arms so Cuomo and his ilk should shut the heck up" and "The Federal cure is worse than the disease."

My tentative solution is "Get out of New York so I don't have to worry about it" but I can't do that yet...

asurfaholic
04-15-2013, 08:23 PM
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, whose office defended the law, described the court's refusal to intervene as "a victory for families across New York who are rightly concerned about the scourge of gun violence that all too often plagues our communities."

When is somebody going to bop this sucka in the head and tell him that the people who pursue getting a license and follow the laws in place are not likely the ones to be committing the "scourge of gun violence." There is so much fail in these people... fuck logic?

jj-
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
So we have laws and amendments which guarantee our right... except for the period of time that the supreme court is lazy to consider their attacks.

Origanalist
04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
So we have laws and amendments which guarantee our right... except for the period of time that the supreme court is lazy to consider their attacks.

I don't think "lazy" has anything to do with it.

Anti Federalist
04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
When is somebody going to bop this sucka in the head and tell him that the people who pursue getting a license and follow the laws in place are not likely the ones to be committing the "scourge of gun violence." There is so much fail in these people... fuck logic?

They know god damn well that there is no "logic" to their position.

Unless their position is that private firearms ownership be banned.

Then it becomes perfectly logical.

DGambler
04-15-2013, 09:18 PM
They know god damn well that there is no "logic" to their position.

Unless their position is that private firearms ownership be banned.

Then it becomes perfectly logical.

Yep, and why would someone want an unarmed populance? Anyone who is for gun control is a raving psychopath that yearns to control us mundanes. It's really quite simple when you have that point of view.

Scares the shit out of me because the 2nd amendment is there to protect us from psychopaths and people are willing to give up that protection and rely on the people it is meant to protect us from.... pure craziness.

speciallyblend
04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
supreme corruption.

Anti Federalist
04-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Yep, and why would someone want an unarmed populance? Anyone who is for gun control is a raving psychopath that yearns to control us mundanes. It's really quite simple when you have that point of view.

Scares the shit out of me because the 2nd amendment is there to protect us from psychopaths and people are willing to give up that protection and rely on the people it is meant to protect us from.... pure craziness.

Right now, they are having some fun with us, watching us hop from one foot to the other, trying to comply with un-compliable.

Chuckling as we do the compliance shuffle in airports, now, soon train and subway and bus stations.

Laughing as we pull our hair out trying to decipher the mountains of rules over us.

But there will come a day when our antics no longer amuse them.

And then...watch the fuck out.

DGambler
04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Right now, they are having some fun with us, watching us hop from one foot to the other, trying to comply with un-compliable.

Chuckling as we do the compliance shuffle in airports, now, soon train and subway and bus stations.

Laughing as we pull our hair out trying to decipher the mountains of rules over us.

But there will come a day when our antics no longer amuse them.

And then...watch the fuck out.

How much longer do you think we have? I use to think it was 20+ years off, now I'm thinking <5.

Anti Federalist
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
How much longer do you think we have? I use to think it was 20+ years off, now I'm thinking <5.

Could be any day now.

Think the System is going bugshit and hut hutting about over what happened in Boston?

Think about the crackdown that will follow a real or false flag attack that kills 30,000.

Or 300,000.

Or 3 million.

Or maybe never, maybe they'll just kick the can down the road, laughing at us the whole time, until we are all assimilated into the global Borg.

jkob
04-15-2013, 09:44 PM
The Supreme Court are a bunch of cowards. John Roberts didn't strike down the individual mandate because he was so afraid of backlash from the president.

jkr
04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

PERIOD

YOU HEAR IT THAT TIME?

GOTO
9:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BG1Ng2pU-8

J_White
04-15-2013, 11:42 PM

this really seems to be getting serious.
Obama will get this done before his term finishes.