PDA

View Full Version : Bitcoin: Money of the Future or Old-Fashioned Bubble

TheGrinch
04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Yes, I'm as tired of bitcoin threads as you are, but an interesting article from Mises.org: http://mises.org/daily/6401/Bitcoin-Money-of-the-Future-or-OldFashioned-Bubble#.UWqorBuI-6U.facebook

Gold won out due to a variety of reasons, such as being durable, amalgamable, malleable, divisible, homogeneous, and rare. Yet, the ultimate reason that gold won out is because it was the most saleable of commodities. As Menger went on to write,

Gold nuggets extracted from the sands of the Aranyos River by a dirty Transylvanian gypsy are just as saleable in his hands as in the hands of the owner of [the] gold mine, provided the gypsy knows where to find the right market for his commodity. Gold nuggets can pass through any number of hands without any decrease whatsoever in marketability. But articles of clothing, bedding, prepared foods, etc., would be suspect and almost unsaleable, or at any rate of greatly depreciated value, in the hands of the gypsy, even if they had not been used by him, and even if he had, from the beginning, acquired them only with the intention of passing them on in exchange.

This leads us to another criticism of bitcoin: It can never be the most saleable good. The reasoning for this is quite simple. Until the majority of the 7 billion or so people that inhabit this planet have either a smart phone or frequent access to the internet, a digital currency is out of the question.

Gold, on the other hand, is easily recognizable, as opposed to silver that may be mistaken for other metals such as nickel. Moreover, it melts at a relatively low temperature and is a relatively soft metal, which provides superior amalgamation and partly explains why it historically won out over metals such as platinum. If one questions the role of gold in the present monetary system, one only has to walk down the street in a metropolitan area and see a ‘We Buy Gold’ sign. Moreover, central banks hold gold and lots of it. They do not hold cattle, wheat, soybeans, copper, silver, or bitcoins.

TheGrinch
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Bump, I thought this was an interesting article that highlights some of my concerns with bitcoin.

kpitcher
04-14-2013, 11:00 PM
And when was the last audit of Fort Knox? Or does the FED have other gold reserves?

TheGrinch
04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
And when was the last audit of Fort Knox? Or does the FED have other gold reserves?

This isn't a thread about gold-backed currency, so I have no idea why that would be related to the efficacy (or lack thereof) of bitcoin as an alternative.

muh_roads
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
This leads us to another criticism of bitcoin: It can never be the most saleable good. The reasoning for this is quite simple. Until the majority of the 7 billion or so people that inhabit this planet have either a smart phone or frequent access to the internet, a digital currency is out of the question.

Stupid conclusion. Since when do you need the majority on board for something to work?

It's as if the author doesn't understand anything about the digital Forex market.

TheGrinch
04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Stupid conclusion. Since when do you need the majority on board for something to work?

It's as if the author doesn't understand anything about the digital Forex market.

Well, when the value of that currency hinges on mass acceptance like the dollar, and not "saleability" and tangibility like gold that is desirable without necessarily being a medium, then I'd say that having a majority of people on board would be needed for it's sustainability/stability.