PDA

View Full Version : Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms folds:Will support gun control

Anti Federalist
04-14-2013, 09:04 PM
LOL - Negotiate Rights Away is not alone.

Gun rights group endorses Manchin-Toomey background-check bill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gun-rights-group-endorses-manchin-toomey-background-check-bill/2013/04/14/f4ae8ae8-a51e-11e2-8302-3c7e0ea97057_story.html

By Tom Hamburger and Ed O’Keefe, Updated: Sunday, April 14, 8:43 PM

In anticipation of Senate votes this week on a proposed expansion of criminal background checks for firearms sales, one gun rights organization broke with the powerful National Rifle Association on Sunday to urge support for a compromise drafted by Sens. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) and Patrick J. Toomey (R-Pa.).

The endorsement by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms — which calls itself the second-largest gun rights organization in the country, behind the NRA, claiming 650,000 members and supporters — is one of several moves over the past few days that have provided a boost to the hopes of proponents of background checks.

While leading gun-control advocates — including President Obama and New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I) — back the bipartisan proposal, the announcement of support Sunday from the Citizens Committee reveals that there are substantial parts of the bill that are viewed as “wins” for the gun lobby, including provisions that would prohibit a government registry of gun ownership and make it easier to transport and market weapons across state lines.

Though news of a split in the usually unified gun lobby cheered gun-control advocates, the gun lobby can count other probable wins in the current debate, such as the likely defeat of legislation to limit military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. Now, an expansion of background-check requirements for gun sales is considered the most likely major achievement.

Initially, gun-control advocates hoped for a requirement for background checks of individuals purchasing a gun under most any circumstance. Currently, background checks are conducted only for purchases made from licensed gun dealers. The compromise measure, drafted by Toomey and Manchin, would require background checks for currently exempt online and gun-show sales but not for most other private transactions.

There were other signs of momentum on gun-control legislation over the weekend, included a tentative expression of support for the Toomey-Manchin compromise on Sunday from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), an endorsement by Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), and indications of backing from several House Republicans, including some who have had previous endorsements from the NRA.

Officially, only three Republican senators — Toomey, Collins and Mark Kirk (Ill.) — have said they plan to vote for the Manchin-Toomey agreement. Democratic aides say the bill will need the backing of at least six Republican senators to pass.

The measure still has a long and tortuous path, with dozens of amendments expected. The Senate is scheduled to begin formal debate Tuesday by first considering the plan to expand the gun background-check program.

Sixteen GOP senators voted late last week to proceed to debate, but several of them and some moderate Democratic senators said they are unlikely to support the bill’s proposed compromise amendments. It is not known how many amendments will be considered by the Senate over the next two weeks. For the past few days, the Toomey-Manchin proposal has received nearly all the attention.

Origanalist
04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
It's going to come down to "take it from my cold dead hands".

aGameOfThrones
04-14-2013, 10:39 PM

GOV: Fine! We'll just call you a terrorist and invade your property calling it "enduring freedom".

Origanalist
04-14-2013, 11:12 PM
GOV: Fine! We'll just call you a terrorist and invade your property calling it "enduring freedom".

FREEDOM! DEMOCRACY!

BAllen
04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Why???
Why would they give in???
This makes no sense. What do they have to gain by caving in?
Unless they were the controlled opposition.

shane77m
04-15-2013, 09:52 AM

Really starting to look that way.

Good news though. http://www.gunbot.net/
Plenty of ammo out there. Cost's more than what it did a while back though.

tangent4ronpaul
04-15-2013, 10:21 AM
From ar15.com

Never heard of them

Smells of the "American hunters and shooters association" that endorsed the AWB turned out to just be a VPC front with no members

=
Wow.

Do you all live under a fucking rock? Do you chase tennis balls off cliffs?

Gottlieb has been behind a shitload of major pro-gun efforts over the last decade. Remember the picture of the check for hundreds of thousands of dollars from the City of Chicago made out to his organization and signed by Rahm Emmanuel after they bitchslapped Chicago in court over Chicago's gun bans? Remember how he's been coordinating with and helping bankroll Alan Gura? Remember how he was a huge factor behind WA state's proposed assault weapons ban being shot down in a major libtard area? And getting us suppressors we could actually shoot through here?

Of course not, you all just want to chase somebody with torches and pitchforks because you like being part of the goddamn angry mob.

Bunch of knee-jerk idiots.
=
I dont know of you guys are joking but Alan Gottlieb is the head of the Second Amendment Foundation. He also is the lawyer who successfully litigated both the Heller and McDonald cases.

His betrayal on this matter is nothing short of treason to our cause. If you are a member of SAF you you cease to send money as it will go to fund having SAF stuff draft legislation for Chuck Schumer.

He has also successfully divided the gun lobby because now GOA, the NRA and SAF are clearly divided which is what Bloomberg and Schumer want.

The SAF will never see another dime of my money.
=
Alan GURA litigated Heller and McDonald. Alan GOTTLIEB helped bankroll him, along with other funders.

And you don't know a trap when you fucking see one, even when it's laid for your enemy. This is the same tactic Gottlieb used to sink the assault weapon's ban that was picking up speed fast in Washington state.
=
I'm not having a knee jerk reaction. He is an ASSHAT for using pro 2A monies to have his staff write GUN CONTROL for Chuck Schumer. And before you say it Schumers name is on it and that clown signed off on if.

SAF sold us out. We should all never send them a dime because of this betrayal.
=
Schumer has withdrawn support for the bill.

Stop and think about that for a second... let it sink in.

Still want to call him a traitor?

Like I pointed out above, this is the EXACT SAME TACTIC that Gottlieb used to help sink an AWB in our state, which is WAY more liberal than Colorado.
=
The universal registration plan is just a precursor to actual gun registration and/or confiscation.
If it wasn't it wouldn't require permanent records.
It doesn't matter if the dealer keeps the records, all they have to do is change the law later as long as you can't do face to face without records.
=
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJI/SuTFr8OdMSI/AAAAAAAAB_c/uxKiIbYnIP8/s1600/red_dawn_ObtainForm4473.png
=
All he did was give credibility to Manchin and Tommey. Two Senators who betrayed there oath and plan to violate my civil rights in order to get reelected. And handing the democrats a bill this republicans can't go against because its was written by the people who Won Heller and McDonald hardly qualified as a trap for my enemys
=
Group probably doesn't even exist.

Just more lib tactics by the media and the Dems.

=
Sounds about right!
=
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Nonprofit organization
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, or CCRKBA, is a gun rights organization in the United States, headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. It is closely affiliated with the Second Amendment Foundation. Wikipedia
Tax ID: 91-0904621
Founded: 1971
Assets: 3.578 million USD (2011)
Revenue: 2.431 million USD (2011)
=
It's also the tactics the NRA used to stop the Gun Show ban after Columbine: Appearing to compromise on a bill containing some gun control in order to kill a bill full of lots of gun control.

I keep posting this link because I think everyone here needs to read it. In Washington, nothing is ever as it seems. And sometimes we can use that to our advantage.

https://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/15/after-columbine-gop-nearly-passed-new-gun-control-an-insider-account/
=
Gottlieb et al are the same ones that got the proposed WA gun bills loaded up with enough poison pills (i.e. pro gun stuff) that the Dems ended up killing their own bill.

So now at the fed level they have done the same thing. Either the Dems vote for the "gun control" bill thats actually good for gun owners, or they shoot it down. Win/Win for for us.
=
Nonsense. ANY compromise is a disaster, nothing good comes of it, and we should instantly boycott anyone who even tries to work with sympathetic Democrats regardless of the reason.
=
I just read through the comments and I see it's the same old retarded shit from non readers and the politically inept running their mouths. If you don't know how politics work, and who the players are, read and keep your mouth shut until you understand what's going on. The "poison pill gambit" is as old politics itself. Some people's political acumen is about as sharp as a pound of wet leather.

This a lesson about how to make gun grabbers look foolish/inept in the eyes of the voting public and reveal their true intention of disarmament. Democrats scream to the high heavens for gun control; but then turn around and reject gun control proposals that they say the public supports. The irony is all too delicious.

Come on gentlemen use your heads and knock of this chicken little....... "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!" bullshit. Sheeeeesh, some peoples kids.
=
When Alan gets on the radio and says, regardless if the bill passes or not, its a win for gun owners; I don't see it simply as a tactic to shoot down the bill. Why would he proclaim losing FTF transactions without a BG check as a win, no matter what else we get?
=
You need to take this analogy and put it in the garbage.

These things are not up for debate and for that matter they have no right to even be playing Checkers. Our rights are not to be put on a pedestal as a sacrificial lamb. The ONLY play that is feasible by doing this is one that plays out over time assuming everything is in our favor- and our rights are lost for a few years until the Repubs come riding in on their white horse.

It's bullshit plain and simple, when's the last time a Repub got into office and repealed legislation that infringed on the 2nd Amendment?

Personally, I'm insulted as all get out to the idea that the Republicans are playing the "2014 We are the Answer!" game while in the mean time, they're rigging and enabling the problem/solution. Fuck that.

sailingaway
04-15-2013, 10:23 AM
retweet here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/323833759919112192