PDA

View Full Version : House GOP shows little appetite for Senate gun control measure

sailingaway
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
House GOP shows little appetite for Senate gun control measure

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/293461-house-gop-shows-little-appetite-for-senate-gun-control-measure#ixzz2QFqljlAl
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Growing momentum in the Senate for new gun control legislation has failed to flow down to the House, where just a handful of House Republicans have embraced a deal to expand background checks for firearm purchases.
Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) and multiple Republican members of the Pennsylvania delegation are backing a compromise brokered by the Keystone State’s Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) that advanced in the Senate on Thursday.
Yet in interviews, those lawmakers said they have had no discussions with the House GOP leadership and don’t know what the prospects for the legislation would be in a chamber dominated by conservatives.
While party leaders have made a concerted effort to prepare their rank-and-file for a major immigration push this year, they have not done so on the gun issue.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/293461-house-gop-shows-little-appetite-for-senate-gun-control-measure#ixzz2QFqzDYcQ
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

a lot more at link. It interested me that they compared it to immigration though, because I have had the thought this might actually be a red herring for immigration, because I can't imagine they expect to pass anything significant on guns and get reelected. That the same is true of immigration if it is like the last one, or is rammed through without public buy in (with actual information of what is in it) either doesn't seem to occur to them or else they seem to hope they'll get 'brownie points' from their respective bases on the gun issue to give them cover on that huge economic issue.

For whatever reason, there is constant sturm and drang on the gun issues (which I agree are important in themselves, but don't see any market for) and very little on immigration and Obama's budget, in comparison.