PDA

View Full Version : Jonah Goldberg on Rand's outreach efforts and scorn from the left

jct74
04-11-2013, 11:51 PM
I thought this was a pretty decent take on things

Are Brad Paisley and Rand Paul the bravest men in America?

Jonah Goldberg
Apr 12, 2013

Er, no. At least not by my lights. But maybe the country singer and the first-term senator are contenders for that title according to the attorney general of the United States, Eric Holder.

In 2009, Holder famously declared in a speech that America is a "nation of cowards" because it refuses to talk about race "enough." What constitutes enough race talk in our private time seems like a hard thing to quantify, and I'm not sure Holder has any idea how to do it either.

Holder was hardly the first, nor will he be the last, liberal to call for a national conversation on race. It is one of the mossiest locutions in modern America. I sincerely doubt an hour goes by where the phrase or something similar -- "frank dialogue," "much-needed discourse," etc. -- isn't uttered or written by some editorialist, college professor or television host.

Though often ridiculous and hackneyed, this isn't necessarily a sinister or mercenary thing. It's only natural that activists, academics and consultants would want a "national conversation" on their specialty issue or cause. If your passion, principles and profits align so that you make a living from talking about race, why wouldn't you want to increase demand for your wares?

read more:
http://townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/2013/04/12/are-brad-paisley-and-rand-paul-the-bravest-men-in-america-n1565504/page/full/