PDA

View Full Version : Texting-And-Driving

Natural Citizen
04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Please spread far and wide.

Parents of College Student Who Died in Texting-And-Driving Crash Release Photo of His Final, Unfinished Text (http://gawker.com/5994427/parents-of-college-student-who-died-in-texting+and+driving-crash-release-photo-of-his-final-unfinished-text)

phill4paul
04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Distracted driving is not good. Parents please teach your children. Insurance companies and non government unions PLEASE get this message out.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Hmmmm...

God

Well this is quite suspicious. They honestly expect us to believe that the car accident that killed her son, somehow left his Iphone completely unscratched and powered on? Ha! The average Iphone explodes upon being dropped. The average iphone goes into sleep after about 10 minutes of inactivity. If they wanted to push their propaganda on to the sheeple they should have been a lot more clever because I see right through this.

You've not seen the last of this, there is no telling how the Matrix will be used against here.

RickyJ
04-11-2013, 11:09 PM
What I hate is when I get on a highway I am always behind a person that creeps along on the ramp and then tries to merge into 60 MPH plus traffic at 40 MPH or so. What the heck do these people think the long ramp to get on the highway is for? Damn them!

phill4paul
04-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Hmmmm...

You've not seen the last of this, there is no telling how the Matrix will be used against here.

And any Schedule 1 "bath salts" relegated to the back of cupboards, drawers and cabinets by grandmothers everywhere.

RickyJ
04-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Text only when the car is not moving. If it is so important that you just must text then pull over somewhere safe and text, then go on.

Matthew5
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm...

Actually the iPhone saves a draft of the text message and it's the first thing that pops back up when you access messages, even if it has fallen asleep. A phone that's been plugged in a car charger could have plenty of charge for a crash investigator to access it the next day. The glass case can be fragile but the internals are pretty solid.

phill4paul
04-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Hmmmm...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?390564-Police-shoot-dog&p=4968844&highlight=police+shoot+dog#post4968844

“This is what happens when your grandma sells crack.”

Natural Citizen
04-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Actually the iPhone saves a draft of the text message and it's the first thing that pops back up when you access messages, even if it has fallen asleep. A phone that's been plugged in a car charger could have plenty of charge for a crash investigator to access it the next day. The glass case can be fragile but the internals are pretty solid.

I was hoping someone would mention that.

unknown
04-12-2013, 02:14 AM
So the lesson is, focus on driving while driving?

RickyJ
04-12-2013, 02:19 AM
So the lesson is, focus on driving while driving?
It is smart thing to do, especially nowadays since you are going to have to dodge all the people that aren't concentrating on driving while driving.

bolil
04-12-2013, 02:49 AM
I do all kinds of things while I drive, hitting things isn't one of them.

well, hitting certain things yes.

A Son of Liberty
04-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Generally speaking, it is not advisable to text while driving. I readily admit I do it from time to time, but I never do it in any kind of traffic, and never on a two-lane highway or street, especially with oncoming traffic. I spend a TON of hours driving on four-lane interstates and very often I'm the only vehicle in sight. I only glance at my phone, as much as I might if I were changing the radio station or looking in the rearview mirror.

Texting in traffic, urban areas, on two-lanes, in residential areas, on curves is dangerously foolish.

One-size-fits-all laws make criminals/shakedown targets out of responsible adults. Thank you, Uncle Sugar, but I can take care of myself. I'm not an idiot.

I will say that my state's new "hands-free" law has made it more dangerous, as it hasn't stopped anyone from doing it... but instead of holding the phone up by the steering wheel where a person can still see the road with his peripheral vision, that person is more likely to hold it down in his lap, causing him to spend more time looking away from the road. It wouldn't surprise me if these laws actually increase the number of texting-related accidents.

Communication is a big part of my job, and if I had to pull over every time I got a text/email, I'd never get anywhere.

tod evans
04-12-2013, 06:38 AM
More laws!

Protect the children!

Ban cell phones!

People do stupid shit all the time, some even die from their own or somebody else's stupidity....

More laws and more law enforcement are never going to fix stupid.

Now what?

osan
04-12-2013, 07:20 AM
What is the answer here?

Mala prohibita is the idiot's approach to such stupid behavior and results in evil being foisted upon everyone else. It is also the tyrant's approach to cultivating power in nickel and dime fashion. I well understand why it came into existence on both accounts and in neither is the result good.

Mala prohibita is for cultures dominated by those too dangerously ignorant, stoopid, and self-centered to concern themselves with their single, simple responsibility toward their fellows. But if mala prohibita is not the answer and we cannot simply shoot such people summarily, then what is the properly principled solution? Wait until someone kills or maims you before taking action?

A Son of Liberty
04-12-2013, 07:39 AM
But if mala prohibita is not the answer and we cannot simply shoot such people summarily, then what is the properly principled solution?

Come to terms with the fact that nature is necessarily chaotic, that living in accordance with nature and by extension the human freedom which comes from it, and accept that sometimes bad things happen when we'd rather they not.

brandon
04-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Man, I straight up watch youtube videos and write long forum posts with correct punctuation and grammar while driving. YOLO

Nirvikalpa
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I was hoping someone would mention that.

I was thinking that myself, but it could have been in a tough case for all we know. When the phone is asleep, the battery can last pretty long - I could see a battery lasting long enough for it to be at 5% when police/detectives found it.

I've ran over my iPhone... with a stretcher, and it survived. My case is awesome.

V3n
04-12-2013, 10:20 AM
In California, don't even use your phone's GPS while driving!

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2013/04/08/31233/california-extends-hands-free-driving-law-to-inclu/

(ps - eating your drive-though snack in the car also prohibited!)

AGRP
04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
What happened to the endless stories about people crashing because they were fiddling with their car stereos?

KingNothing
04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Hmmmm...

Damn the Matrix! Damn it all to hell! THIS IS CLEARLY A LIE DESIGNED TO GET PEOPLE TO QUIT THE AMAZING EXPRESSION OF FREEDOM THAT IS TEXTING WHILE DRIVING!

jllundqu
04-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Some car and phone companies are already developing an "opt out" feature for phones/cars that will not let you text while the car is moving. Any texts received while driving get an auto-reply saying something like "I'm driving and will get back to you asap"

jbauer
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Well, you either let nature weed out the stupid or you pass a law for it. Since in the course of weeding the stupid out they might also kill me I'd prefer a law. I put on a ton of miles each year and texting has nearly gotten me more then once. I wont text however, I will let siri send one for me since all I have to do is talk. I've personally banned texting for myself because its the right thing to do.

More laws!

Protect the children!

Ban cell phones!

People do stupid shit all the time, some even die from their own or somebody else's stupidity....

More laws and more law enforcement are never going to fix stupid.

Now what?

jbauer
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Some car and phone companies are already developing an "opt out" feature for phones/cars that will not let you text while the car is moving. Any texts received while driving get an auto-reply saying something like "I'm driving and will get back to you asap"

I would actually apply for such an app if its available for texts only. I don't have any trouble talking while driving so I'd like to continue to do that.

tod evans
04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, you either let nature weed out the stupid or you pass a law for it. Since in the course of weeding the stupid out they might also kill me I'd prefer a law.

Which other stupid acts should laws be passed to protect you from?

kcchiefs6465
04-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Tinted windows.

Most people aren't getting enough Vitamin D.

The Free Hornet
04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Heit had been traveling eastbound on “O” Street from 35th Avenue, on a turn with a very narrow, dirt shoulder and a steep drop. Witnesses stated he seemed to have his head down, and began drifting into the oncoming lane of traffic. A westbound vehicle slowed and moved over just before Mr. Heit looked up. As he did, he jerked the steering wheel hard, over-correcting, resulting in his leaving the south side of the roadway, rolling and flipping the vehicle.

http://greeleygov.com/Police/PressReleases.aspx

Single vehicle accident. Texting would be the last thing I blame.

QuickZ06
04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
What happened to the endless stories about people crashing because they were fiddling with their car stereos?

These were some of the arguments from the 1930's.

“Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, and that music could lull a driver to sleep.”

In 2002, the NHTSA blamed 66% of the 43,000 fatal car crashes on “Playing with the radio or CD."

Where was the outrage....o yeah money to be made, never mind. Billboards are illegal in some countries as well, guess we should get rid of those as well you know for the children......

dannno
04-12-2013, 01:26 PM

What if you're a passenger?

jbauer
04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
What if you're a passenger?

Then turn it off. (edit "it" meaning the text blocker)

jbauer
04-12-2013, 01:37 PM

Well you probably shouldn't be texting while doing surgery. Probably shouldn't be texting while shooting a gun...atleast toward me.

Texting while driving is excessively dangerous for other people traveling. If you want to text on some open highway while you're the only one who could suffer bodily harm go for it. Is it that big of a deal that other people should ask that you pay attention to driving while driving a multi-ton vehicle toward someone else who has the right to travel on the same road?

V3n
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Texting while driving is excessively dangerous for other people traveling. If you want to text on some open highway while you're the only one who could suffer bodily harm go for it. Is it that big of a deal that other people should ask that you pay attention to driving while driving a multi-ton vehicle toward someone else who has the right to travel on the same road?

Reckless driving laws already exist. We don't need to add more regulation on top of what is already there.

tod evans
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Well you probably shouldn't be texting while doing surgery. Probably shouldn't be texting while shooting a gun...atleast toward me.

I don't "text" Ace...

Don't know how, not interested in learning..

And....................I don't want any more laws passed, for any reason!

otherone
04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
not that I need to re-emphasize this....but making something illegal doesn't get rid of it; it only allows for a greater police presence that is further "justified" in abusing your Rights...

Natural Citizen
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
The point (for me, at least) wasn't to influence political spew. We already have these laws in our state and I see kids texting while driving more than once or twice every single day regardless. Is beneficial to maybe show them why it's not practical in my opinion. I've seen my own son's friends scraped off of the interstate because of this kind of thing. Families that I've known for years. Traveled with, lived life with. No parent wants to see their kids make careless decisions and there is nothing wrong with sharing those kinds of articles.

A Son of Liberty
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Well, you either let nature weed out the stupid or you pass a law for it. Since in the course of weeding the stupid out they might also kill me I'd prefer a law. I put on a ton of miles each year and texting has nearly gotten me more then once. I wont text however, I will let siri send one for me since all I have to do is talk. I've personally banned texting for myself because its the right thing to do.

You'd prefer a law... that isn't going to stop anyone from doing anything?

muh_roads
04-12-2013, 07:28 PM
I think if a cop seen someone texting, I wouldn't care if it was treated the same as a DUI.

I've watched liveleak videos of people losing control on a slippery highway and driving into oncoming traffic. The family in the oncoming traffic all died. It was determined that the person that swerved into them was distracted with texting.

This isn't going to stop all people from doing stupid shit...but if people are caught doing it I personally wouldn't care if passed at the state level.

Invest in companies that make bluetooth headsets if that were to become law.

kcchiefs6465
04-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I think if a cop seen someone texting, I wouldn't care if it was treated the same as a DUI.
Wow, really? That is an incredibly troublesome sentiment.

tod evans
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM

You realize that you're suggesting criminal sanctions for inattentive drivers don't you?

RickyJ
04-12-2013, 08:43 PM
You realize that you're suggesting criminal sanctions for inattentive drivers don't you?

Cops can and would just lie if they were after you for some reason. Many police are also inattentive drivers. Whether someone is truly concentrating on driving or not is very subjective and usually can only be determined by their driving behavior. If they are driving fine, you have to assume they are paying attention, if they are swerving or driving extra slow, then they might not be paying attention or they are under the influence of some drug.

RickyJ
04-12-2013, 08:48 PM

I've watched liveleak videos of people losing control on a slippery highway and driving into oncoming traffic. The family in the oncoming traffic all died. It was determined that the person that swerved into them was distracted with texting.

This isn't going to stop all people from doing stupid shit...but if people are caught doing it I personally wouldn't care if passed at the state level.

Invest in companies that make bluetooth headsets if that were to become law.

A cop that could see someone texting while driving would more than likely have to be driving himself and up in some kind of truck where he can look down into a car to see someone texting and driving. If cops were doing this then they also would be inattentive drivers and a threat to everyone on the road.

It won't stop ever because people will never stop being stupid. You can't make enough laws to make people smart, it just doesn't work like that.

muh_roads
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
A cop that could see someone texting while driving would more than likely have to be driving himself and up in some kind of truck where he can look down into a car to see someone texting and driving. If cops were doing this then they also would be inattentive drivers and a threat to everyone on the road.

It won't stop ever because people will never stop being stupid. You can't make enough laws to make people smart, it just doesn't work like that.

I drive a grand prix...I can see morons texting all the time in their SUV's higher up than me.

I dunno...it is a tough question. But never forget, driving is by far the most dangerous thing human beings do on a daily basis. Driving should be treated with the utmost respect.

muh_roads
04-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Cops can and would just lie if they were after you for some reason. Many police are also inattentive drivers. Whether someone is truly concentrating on driving or not is very subjective and usually can only be determined by their driving behavior. If they are driving fine, you have to assume they are paying attention, if they are swerving or driving extra slow, then they might not be paying attention or they are under the influence of some drug.

Yeah the problem with my idea is the cops are assholes. You are right.

I want an intercom system so I can yell at fucktards. "Hey dumb fuck in the white SUV, pay attention to the road". But then I get slapped with noise pollution.

phill4paul
04-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Yeah the problem with my idea is the cops are assholes. You are right.

I want an intercom system so I can yell at fucktards. "Hey dumb fuck, pay attention to the road". But then I get slapped with noise pollution.

I don't believe we need more laws of this nature. There are already laws that govern reckless driving. There doesn't need to be a new sub category.

However, to your point regarding alerting other drivers.......

A friend came up with the idea of arming every driver with a paintball gun. If someone were an asshole then you "paint" their car. If a car gets three "paintings" then the cops can give a ticket.

Crazy idea, but I laughed my ass off as I thought of this idea in practice.

muh_roads
04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't believe we need more laws of this nature. There are already laws that govern reckless driving. There doesn't need to be a new sub category.

However, to your point regarding alerting other drivers.......

A friend came up with the idea of arming every driver with a paintball gun. If someone were an asshole then you "paint" their car. If a car gets three "paintings" then the cops can give a ticket.

Crazy idea, but I laughed my ass off as I thought of this idea in practice.

I've always wanted to mount guns to my car...LOL

Everybody will get paint on their cars after a period of time.

muh_roads
04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Insurance companies have that little thing that plugs in underneath your dashboard to monitor how good of a driver you are. It would be interesting if insurance discount incentives were offered if you stayed off your phone. Detects through NFC or some sort of protocol.

Paying people works well sometimes...