PDA

View Full Version : Christian florist faces fines for refusing to provide flowers for gay wedding

EBounding
04-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Some conservatives think libertarians are hypocritically silent on laws like these. Are they right? Is the law just?

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/elderly-christian-florist-faces-thousands-in-fines-for-refusing-to-provide/

A Christian florist in Washington state could be slapped with hefty fines because she refused to provide a floral arrangement for a gay “wedding.”

Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson filed charges today in Benton County Superior Court.

On March 1 Barronelle Stutzman, owner of Arlene’s Flowers and Gifts in Richland, refused to sell flowers to Robert Ingersoll for his “marriage” to Curt Freed.

“He said he decided to get married, and before he got through I grabbed his hand and said, ‘I am sorry. I can't do your wedding because of my relationship with Jesus Christ,’" Stutzman said. She said it was the only wedding she had declined in 37 years.

But Ferguson said that stance violates the law.

“Under the Consumer Protection Act, it is unlawful to discriminate against customers on the basis of sexual orientation,” Ferguson said. “If a business provides a product or service to opposite-sex couples for their weddings, then it must provide same-sex couples the same product or service.”

sailingaway
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
The law shouldn't have anything to do with it imho.

The reason the segregation thing was hard was the law MADE people act a certain way and there was no free market.

Why don't they just use another florist and tell everyone what this one did? I'd think there would be substantial private impact from loss of business.

sailingaway
04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
I mean, seriously, would you want someone who thought they'd be damned for it doing flowers for your wedding? Don't you think it would kind of ruin the tone?

matt0611
04-11-2013, 07:49 PM
How long till a Church is sued for refusing to marry a gay "couple"?

Dr.3D
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I thought we had a right to refuse to serve anybody we decided not to serve.

phill4paul
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
There's another thread on this. It's not about "gay marriage" it is about "property rights."

Smart3
04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I'd tell the florist: "Look, you're not invited, give us the flowers and we'll give you money. Have a blessed day"

The couple buying the flowers are probably Christian.

jj-
04-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I'd tell the florist: "Look, you're not invited, give us the flowers and we'll give you money. Have a blessed day"

And that would do what? The florist probably won't even listen or pay attention to it.

PaulConventionWV
04-11-2013, 08:46 PM

The couple buying the flowers are probably Christian.

ummmm.... yeaaahhhhhh....

phill4paul
04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
ummmm.... yeaaahhhhhh....

What's so fantastical? The addressing of the florist or the fact that there are same sex couples that are "Christian?"

BlackTerrel
04-11-2013, 08:51 PM
This is bull shit: no way about it.

Christians are the easiest group to push around these days.

Victor Grey
04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
I've heard hearsay more than once, about some lesbian bar or another, refusing to provide service to men, in one of the instances on a "gay gal" night, even demanding them to leave or allowing a blind eye to fights due to such, yet I've never really heard anyone complain about it though. (seems the story is usually men not feminine enough or plainly, who seem too straight)

I've heard hearsay of instances where beatnik black clubs, as best I can describe the scene, aren't particularly friendly to white customers as well. No real complaints, however.

I've personally seen country/biker bars where gay people don't really come around, because it's not really best considering the crowd. Which tend to have a fight every other evening anyway. Those I've visited myself.

I also know that there are private restaurants in this country, in which you have to know someone, in order to be accepted as a member allowed to frequent.
Not to mention golfing clubs and other instances.

There are all-men organizations in this country.
The nation manages to survive.

Yet for all that, bring up a Christian florist, who won't sell product to a gay wedding, and suddenly lawsuits have to take place.

Smart3
04-11-2013, 09:18 PM
What's so fantastical? The addressing of the florist or the fact that there are same sex couples that are "Christian?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergius_and_Bacchus

PaulConventionWV
04-12-2013, 05:59 AM

Both.

MikeStanart
04-12-2013, 06:05 AM
She owns the flowers. She can sell to whoever the hell she wants.

The gay couple can shop elsewhere.

End of story.

Antischism
04-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Both.

It's a good thing whatever god they believe in, if there is a god or gods, will be their ultimate judge, not you or anybody who claims to speak for a god.

PaulConventionWV
04-12-2013, 06:48 AM
It's a good thing whatever god they believe in, if there is a god or gods, will be their ultimate judge, not you or anybody who claims to speak for a god.

Did I ever even mention God in this thread? Much less claim to speak for Him?

tod evans
04-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Business owner refuses service........

Nothing in that sentence to argue about is there?