PDA

View Full Version : Gun bill clears Senate hurdle as filibuster falls short

green73
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Controversial gun legislation cleared a key Senate hurdle Thursday, as lawmakers voted 68-31 to start debate on the package which includes expanded background checks and new penalties for gun trafficking.

Senate Democrats, joined by 16 Republicans, were able to overcome an attempted filibuster by GOP senators opposed to the current bill. Those senators could still slow-walk the debate, but the Senate will eventually begin votes on amendments -- one of which is considered crucial to winning support for a final vote.

The White House called Thursday's tally an "important" but "early milestone," as both sides of the issue prepare for a grueling debate -- one that is being waged in Washington and on the airwaves.

cont
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/11/gun-bill-clears-senate-hurdle-as-filibuster-falls-short/

TaftFan
04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Can we still do a talking filibuster?

CPUd
04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
The defectors:

Lamar Alexander of Tennessee;
Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire;
Richard Burr of North Carolina;
Saxby Chambliss of Georgia;
Tom Coburn of Oklahoma;
Susan Collins of Maine;
Bob Corker of Tennessee;
Jeff Flake of Arizona;
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina;
John Hoeven of North Dakota;
Johnny Isakson of Georgia;
Dean Heller of Nevada;
Mark Kirk of Illinois;
John McCain of Arizona;
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania;
Roger Wicker of Mississippi.

kahless
04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Unless I missed something, these politicians were never mobbed with protestors. The opposition completely failed to organize to make their lives miserable so they would not dare to pass such legislation.

CPUd
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Unless I missed something, these politicians were never mobbed with protestors. The opposition completely failed to organize to make their lives miserable so they would not dare to pass such legislation.

The press is staying quiet about opposition right now, except to occasionally ridicule.

It might even back out over the weekend, but today, money talks : www.mvc-dc.com/

AuH20
04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Ummm...

For Manchin, that agreement was the payoff from months of relationship-building with Republicans, including nights of pizza and beer on a senator-stuffed boat called the Black Tie. The final deal was worked out over the past week, and concluded late Tuesday with a huddle at a rooftop birthday party for TV host Joe Scarborough.

kahless
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
The press is staying quiet about opposition right now, except to occasionally ridicule.

I get the petition emails from Campaign For Liberty but have yet to see one about protesting outside of my Senators office.

VanBummel
04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Ummm...

So this is how liberty dies...on a boat with pizza and beer.

Acala
04-11-2013, 11:16 AM

They didn't pass any legislation. Yet.