PDA

View Full Version : WTF! - Senate Votes to Move Forward on Gun Control Legislation?

tangent4ronpaul
04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
What the hell happened to Rands filibusterer?

:(

-t

erowe1
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
They had enough votes to break a filibuster. Blame the ones who voted to end debate, not the ones who were ready to filibuster if they could.

phill4paul
04-11-2013, 10:30 AM
No. The Senate approved the bill to move forward for a vote.

It was a "motion to proceed."

CPUd
04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
The defectors:

Lamar Alexander of Tennessee;
Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire;
Richard Burr of North Carolina;
Saxby Chambliss of Georgia;
Tom Coburn of Oklahoma;
Susan Collins of Maine;
Bob Corker of Tennessee;
Jeff Flake of Arizona;
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina;
John Hoeven of North Dakota;
Johnny Isakson of Georgia;
Dean Heller of Nevada;
Mark Kirk of Illinois;
John McCain of Arizona;
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania;
Roger Wicker of Mississippi.

erowe1
04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Et tu Flake?

RonPaulFanInGA
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
If the Republicans held firm, gun control would already be dead. They're so worthless, it's pathetic.

Still, this can still be filibustered, if I remember correctly. This allows for debate, but Rand Paul can still filibuster before the final vote, right?

erowe1
04-11-2013, 10:40 AM
If the Republicans held firm, gun control would already be dead. They're so worthless, it's pathetic.

Still, this can still be filibustered, if I remember correctly. This allows for debate, but Rand Paul can still filibuster before the final vote, right?

I don't think so.

MRK
04-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Et tu Flake?

Flake flakes out for liberty. Can't say I was surprised.

dillo
04-11-2013, 10:44 AM
did it pass the house?

jmdrake
04-11-2013, 10:44 AM
The defectors:

Tom Coburn of Oklahoma;
Susan Collins of Maine;
Bob Corker of Tennessee;
Jeff Flake of Arizona;
Dean Heller of Nevada;
Mark Kirk of Illinois;
John McCain of Arizona;

Lamar Alexander is up for re-election this year. Wish we could get someone to primary him. It's no surprise to see him and Corker voting for this garbage. They both vote with Obama more than any other senators.

jmdrake
04-11-2013, 10:45 AM
did it pass the house?

No. It likely won't. But that's not a sure thing. We need to identify the weak GOP house members that might vote for this and harass the hell out of them.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Lamar Alexander is up for re-election this year. Wish we could get someone to primary him. It's no surprise to see him and Corker voting for this garbage. They both vote with Obama more than any other senators.

Look at that list of GOP sell-out Senators. It contains both of GA's two U.S. Senators, both TN Senators, both AZ Senators and one from SC, NC and MS.

That is crazy; southern and Arizona Republicans voting for this.

AuH20
04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
If Boehner betrays us AGAIN, the House will split. The RSC crowd and Tea Party contingent already warned him on this. Don't venture near gun control. I say let the divorce proceeding begin!

compromise
04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
did it pass the house?

This vote was to end the filibuster, so it will not enter the House.

CPUd
04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Look at that list of GOP sell-out Senators. It contains both of GA's two U.S. Senators, both TN Senators, both AZ Senators and one from SC, NC and MS.

Looks like they went after the ones in safe seats. At least for TN., both those guys have the job for as long as they want it.

Acala
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
It hasn't passed the Senate yet. This just brings it out on the floor.

Brett85
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Yes, it still takes 60 votes to cut off debate.

talkingpointes
04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Looks like they went after the ones in safe seats. At least for TN., both those guys have the job for as long as they want it.

Yeah, Jeff Flake just won, what a piece of shit.

QuickZ06
04-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Republican, is just a title to many. It's like a wolf in sheep clothing.

Zippyjuan
04-11-2013, 11:27 AM
They just opened the bill for debate on the Senate floor:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/11/us-usa-guns-idUSBRE93800G20130411

Reuters) - The Senate cleared the way on Thursday for an emotional, weeks-long debate on proposals to curb gun violence, rejecting an effort by conservative Republicans to block consideration of gun-control legislation prompted by December's Newtown school massacre.

The Senate voted 68-31 to open debate on President Barack Obama's proposals to expand background checks for gun buyers, tighten restrictions on gun trafficking and increase funding for school security.

The Senate easily cleared the 60-vote hurdle needed to break a Republican filibuster on a bill that has sparked intense lobbying on both sides, including families of the Connecticut victims as well as the powerful gun lobby the National Rifle Association.

"The hard work starts now," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, said after the procedural vote to open debate, which won the support of 16 Republicans.

Twenty-nine Republicans and two Democrats voted to block the gun-control debate. The Democrats were Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Mark Begich of Alaska, who face tough re-election campaigns next year in conservative, gun-friendly states.

The legislation still faces many hurdles, including a weeks-long debate in the Senate featuring many amendments that could make the bill unacceptable to senators who now support it. And if it clears the Senate, it would face a tough reception in the Republican-led House of Representatives.

No major gun legislation has passed the Congress since 1994.

The vote to proceed with the bill came a day after a compromise agreement on background checks between prominent defenders of gun rights from each party - Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Republican Patrick Toomey of Pennsylvania.

That agreement to expand criminal background checks of gun buyers to include commercial sales made at gun shows and online was expected to boost bipartisan Senate support for the measure

More at link.

Bastiat's The Law
04-11-2013, 11:28 AM
If Boehner betrays us AGAIN, the House will split. The RSC crowd and Tea Party contingent already warned him on this. Don't venture near gun control. I say let the divorce proceeding begin!
I don't trust Boehner or any of the other goons in Republican leadership in the House.

Bastiat's The Law
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Flake is a POS!

brushfire
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
The defectors:

Tom Coburn of Oklahoma;
Susan Collins of Maine;
Bob Corker of Tennessee;
Jeff Flake of Arizona;
Dean Heller of Nevada;
Mark Kirk of Illinois; Illinois Republican voters
John McCain of Arizona;

There were 2 other candidates who would have stood their ground on the 2A, but the coward voters of IL were convinced by themselves that the Demopublican, Mark Kirk, was the only one "electable". Their victory was getting someone who called themselves a republican in office. Kirk's win was the results of votes cast by fools...

CaseyJones
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
edited title to be accurate

JK/SEA
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
wait...wasn't McCain the guy that the GOP nominated for President by lying, cheating and using violence against people who supported the ONLY guy who upheld his oath to the Constitution, and then nominated another guy in 2012 over the same guy who upheld his oath and now want those same 3 million grass root Constitutional supporters to get in the big tent with them and now want to change the rules from a caucus system to a primary system?...and now support trashing the 2A?.....do i have that right?...

never mind.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2013, 11:52 AM
LOL @ Ayotte.

I don't know what kind of game she is playing, without rock solid support from the "radical" wing, she will lose in a big way come 2016, swept away in a blue flood of MassHoles.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't think so.

Seems I was right:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?410928-WTF!-Senate-Votes-to-Move-Forward-on-Gun-Control-Legislation&p=4969170&viewfull=1#post4969170

Acala
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Maybe they know the votes aren't there to pass the bill so they are willing to let it go to the floor only to help shoot it down later. Might think it looks worse to prevent a debate and vote on the substance. I don't know.

belian78
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
There were 2 other candidates who would have stood their ground on the 2A, but the coward voters of IL were convinced by themselves that the Demopublican, Mark Kirk, was the only one "electable". Their victory was getting someone who called themselves a republican in office. Kirk's win was the results of votes cast by fools...
All too true.

Brian4Liberty
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Et tu Flake?

Yeah, Jeff Flake just won, what a piece of shit.

Flake is a POS!

LOL @ Ayotte.

I don't know what kind of game she is playing...

Neo-conned again.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Neo-conned again.

He swore he'd never hit me again...that he was going to get help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaysTVcounI

CaseyJones
04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
back from break

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Senate-Votes-to-Move-Forward-on-Gun-Control-Legislation/10737439223-1/

AJ Antimony
04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
How have you been here for 6 years and NOT know what a filibuster is?

anaconda
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, it still takes 60 votes to cut off debate.

If they got 60 votes to bring it to the floor, why won't they just as easily get 60 votes to terminate debate? I'm confused. And why were Mike, Rand, and Ted talking about a filibuster if it was going to easily advance to the floor? Wasn't this the alleged focus of the hypothetical filibuster?

erowe1
04-11-2013, 02:01 PM
And why were Mike, Rand, and Ted talking about a filibuster if it was going to easily advance to the floor?

I don't think that was a foregone conclusion.

Acala
04-11-2013, 02:14 PM
If they got 60 votes to bring it to the floor, why won't they just as easily get 60 votes to terminate debate? I'm confused. And why were Mike, Rand, and Ted talking about a filibuster if it was going to easily advance to the floor? Wasn't this the alleged focus of the hypothetical filibuster?

As a practical matter, a filibuster is mostly for making a point rather than stopping legislation.