PDA

View Full Version : Cops May Have Scared Young College Girl Off 60 Foot Cliff, Dies

dannno
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Giselle Ayala, R.I.P.

http://srweb.sar.dc.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SR&Date=20130407&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=130409604&Ref=AR&Profile=1350&MaxW=198&border=0

Cat Ayala of Santa Rosa, Ayala's mother, said detectives had indicated her daughter had been at a party Friday night with friends. They'd split off at about 11 p.m. when Ayala said she had to go to the bathroom.

Officers had begun to break up gatherings, people were scattering and Ayala had probably fallen off the cliff, the family was told.

Rest of the article:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130409/ARTICLES/130409509/1350?Title=Autopsy-Santa-Rosa-teen-s-death-likely-from-cliff-fall

My comment war with some ultra-statists before the evidence came out regarding what happened:

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/apr/07/cal-poly-student-found-dead-campus-point/

I went to that college and partied on those cliffs every weekend. Now, this girl appears to be the nature loving kind who doesn't mind peeing in the woods, and it can be difficult at times to find a bathroom to use without imposing on people you don't know. I had a few friends who received tickets for urinating in public, including two girls. Of course it isn't public, it's on private property where this generally occurs and I have never known the private property owners to care if people are peeing off their cliff or in the corner of a side-yard. So I'm not really sure why police enforce this except they like to badger their way into places and see what is going on.

I would wager that this girl went off to go to the bathroom and when the cops suddenly blasted in and she got scared.. she thought she might be getting a urinating in public ticket and a drunk in public ticket and this could ruin her life. She may have tried to hide or get away from them and some how ended up going over the cliff.

Whether it was merely a drunken fall or police chasing her off a cliff, we will probably never know. But I've never been a big fan of the Isla Vista Foot Patrol.

Very, very sad.

Of course the irony was as a result of this girl's death many were calling for the police to shut down the weekend event known as "Deltopia" where tens of thousands of local and out of town students gather annually. Seeing that the police shutting down the event may have been the cause of her death, well, that's some irony. You can read my comment war with some of these people in the second link above.

kathy88
04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
What a beautiful girl. So sad.

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I saw that story, and pretty much knew what happened right away. I stopped a group of people from running right off that cliff one time when the Police were "breaking up" parties, (ie. chasing people with clubs). People scrambling to avoid the storm troopers run between those houses on the cliff, and in the dark they don't know the cliff is back there. Happens to out of towners, which she was.

dannno
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
bump

dannno
04-10-2013, 01:56 PM
I saw that story, and pretty much knew what happened right away. I stopped a group of people from running right off that cliff one time when the Police were "breaking up" parties, (ie. chasing people with clubs). People scrambling to avoid the storm troopers run between those houses on the cliff, and in the dark they don't know the cliff is back there. Happens to out of towners, which she was.

I dunno if you were there after 2005 or 2006, but they stopped allowing people to freely distribute alcohol at parties and ever since then students end up drinking 10 shots before they go out because they know they might not find any alcohol out there.. Used to be you would have a few drinks and go out and then have a few more, spread things out a bit.

dannno
04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
bump

RickyJ
04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Blame the police for idiots running off a cliff? Sorry, there is plenty to blame them for, but this isn't one of them.

Philhelm
04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
At least she wasn't raped, as one has a higher chance of being raped by a cop in a random encounter than by the population at large, by percentage.

Nirvikalpa
04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
At least she wasn't raped.

Seriously?

... seriously?

CaseyJones
04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
ah good ol' bitcoinsfuckthecopsandmilitaryforums never fail

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Blame the police for idiots running off a cliff? Sorry, there is plenty to blame them for, but this isn't one of them.

Seeing girls getting hit with batons by Police in riot gear tends to shape opinions.

As far as liability for running someone off of a cliff at night, that's a good question. Does the chaser have any responsibility? Is the property owner responsible for not having a fence and warning signs? Is the city responsible? Lawsuits like this happen all the time.

juleswin
04-10-2013, 07:25 PM

What he said except the idiot part. Next thing people will start blaming the police for road accidents just for putting on their sirens. Its unfortunate that this poor girl died but this was not the police fault.

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Are you fucking serious??

She is not an idiot, she was probably scared of a future where she isn't able to get a job and provide for herself because of past arrests...

The bottom line is if the cops weren't there harassing the students, she would probably be alive.

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
What he said. Next thing people will start blaming the police for accidents just for putting on their sirens. Its unfortunate that this poor girl died but this was not the police fault.

She didn't hurt anybody and she was scared of being harassed by an armed pig, she didn't fall of the cliff on purpose, you people are so ridiculous. Why do you support cops harassing people on private property for no reason??

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:34 PM
ah good ol' bitcoinsfuckthecopsandmilitaryforums never fail

Why do you support cops harassing drunk kids on private property??

I mean, FFS, if she was THAT scared then she's probably a GOOD kid who didn't want to get in trouble!! Now she is dead, for no other reason than police harassing drunk people on private property for no reason.

juleswin
04-10-2013, 07:35 PM
She didn't hurt anybody and she was scared of being harassed by an armed pig, she didn't fall of the cliff on purpose, you people are so ridiculous. Why do you support cops harassing people on private property for no reason??

This is not cops doing something out of the ordinary. Sorry but I just think its your responsibility to know where the edge of the cliff is the event that cops come in and do what they do. Any college student should know that cops usually pay a visit to these type of parties either because of excessive noise or search for underage drinkers. She should have been prepared.

MelissaWV
04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure people have read the article in the OP.

If there is evidence beyond that article, maybe it should have been posted, but most of what's come after has been really speculative (even the title is).

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
This is not cops doing something out of the ordinary. Sorry but I just think its your responsibility to know where the edge of the cliff is the event that cops come in and do what they do. Any college student should know that cops usually pay a visit to these type of parties either because of excessive noise or search for underage drinkers. She should have been prepared.

She was from out of town, and just because it wasn't out of the ordinary for Stalin's army to kidnap people in the middle of the night doesn't mean it's fucking right. Jesus crimany.

CaseyJones
04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Why do you support cops harassing drunk kids on private property??

I mean, FFS, if she was THAT scared then she's probably a GOOD kid who didn't want to get in trouble!! Now she is dead, for no other reason than police harassing drunk people on private property for no reason.

I should have made that a response to nirvi, it was more about how the thread went from a tragic story to rape in 0-8 posts

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure people have read the article in the OP.

If there is evidence beyond that article, maybe it should have been posted, but most of what's come after has been really speculative (even the title is).

Yes, it is a bit speculative, but I don't think it is a coincidence that she disappeared when cops were breaking up the parties after she had to go to the bathroom.

I spent almost every friday and saturday night partying on those cliffs for many, many years.

PaulConventionWV
04-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Giselle Ayala, R.I.P.

http://srweb.sar.dc.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SR&Date=20130407&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=130409604&Ref=AR&Profile=1350&MaxW=198&border=0

Rest of the article:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130409/ARTICLES/130409509/1350?Title=Autopsy-Santa-Rosa-teen-s-death-likely-from-cliff-fall

My comment war with some ultra-statists before the evidence came out regarding what happened:

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/apr/07/cal-poly-student-found-dead-campus-point/

I went to that college and partied on those cliffs every weekend. Now, this girl appears to be the nature loving kind who doesn't mind peeing in the woods, and it can be difficult at times to find a bathroom to use without imposing on people you don't know. I had a few friends who received tickets for urinating in public, including two girls. Of course it isn't public, it's on private property where this generally occurs and I have never known the private property owners to care if people are peeing off their cliff or in the corner of a side-yard. So I'm not really sure why police enforce this except they like to badger their way into places and see what is going on.

I would wager that this girl went off to go to the bathroom and when the cops suddenly blasted in and she got scared.. she thought she might be getting a urinating in public ticket and a drunk in public ticket and this could ruin her life. She may have tried to hide or get away from them and some how ended up going over the cliff.

Whether it was merely a drunken fall or police chasing her off a cliff, we will probably never know. But I've never been a big fan of the Isla Vista Foot Patrol.

Very, very sad.

Of course the irony was as a result of this girl's death many were calling for the police to shut down the weekend event known as "Deltopia" where tens of thousands of local and out of town students gather annually. Seeing that the police shutting down the event may have been the cause of her death, well, that's some irony. You can read my comment war with some of these people in the second link above.

Getting a public intox will not ruin your life.

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Daytime party above the cliffs

http://media.independent.com/img/photos/2011/04/11/DSC_0263.jpg

PaulConventionWV
04-10-2013, 07:45 PM
At least she wasn't raped.

Seriously?

... seriously?

I'm sure he's realizing just how stupid that was right about now.

Anti Federalist

Speak for yourself.

It would mine.

dannno

Public urination can, you could have to register as a sex offender, at least that is what many people perceive COULD happen..

dannno
04-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I just found the full picture of the one in the OP, looks like she had a really cool costume, too :(

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/10/article-2306938-19388455000005DC-968_636x382.jpg

PaulConventionWV
04-10-2013, 07:49 PM
What he said except the idiot part. Next thing people will start blaming the police for road accidents just for putting on their sirens. Its unfortunate that this poor girl died but this was not the police fault.

If the crash happened after the police put their sirens on, then yes, it probably would be their fault. Do you know how many fewer accidents we would have if police stopped chasing people just because they were going a little over the speed limit and decided not to stop?

PaulConventionWV
04-10-2013, 07:51 PM

The fact is that the girl would not have died if the cops had not showed up. That we are pretty sure of. That, in and of itself, should cause one to shake one's head at the police state we live in. No further evaluation is necessary. It's a shame that the girl died and it wouldn't have happened if the cops weren't there.

tangent4ronpaul
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
a final determination on her death will be after toxicology tests are completed, which could take as long as six weeks.

Why is it that if you go into a ER, you can get toxicology test results in 30-60 minutes but if it's part of a death investigation, it takes 6 weeks?

Maybe so people will have forgotten when they quietly come out?

But yeah, this sounds like some billy club herding to me!

-t

PaulConventionWV
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Speak for yourself.

It would mine.

Why? Would it send you into spiralling depression?

MelissaWV
04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
The fact is that the girl would not have died if the cops had not showed up. That we are pretty sure of. That, in and of itself, should cause one to shake one's head at the police state we live in. No further evaluation is necessary. It's a shame that the girl died and it wouldn't have happened if the cops weren't there.

Please cite the portion of the article where she had any interaction with the police. It would appear she went over a fence to pee.

Hint... This is not part of the article:

puppetmaster
04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Nvd

Brian4Liberty
04-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Here's how it works. The Police form a line, and start to drive the crowds down the street. The further down the street you go, the higher the cliff gets. There would be no way to be "prepared", unless you were very familiar with the area. The cliff is behind houses, on a street that looks like any other street, especially at night. People are running in a panic.

And that is just one possibility. We will never know exactly what really happened. She also could have tried to pee over the cliff and fell backwards.

kcchiefs6465
04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
What a tragedy. My neighbor fell off a cliff while she was out partying and died. I'd met her family but never met her. She died when I was real young. From what I've heard she was a very nice person.

All that being said, some people go out to the quarry or ledges to take drugs and hallucinate. There are actually yearly parties. (huge parties.. couple thousand people) I wonder if she happened to be taking something. (aside from smoking a little pot or drinking a few beers) Sad story either way.

RickyJ
04-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Seeing girls getting hit with batons by Police in riot gear tends to shape opinions.

As far as liability for running someone off of a cliff at night, that's a good question. Does the chaser have any responsibility? Is the property owner responsible for not having a fence and warning signs? Is the city responsible? Lawsuits like this happen all the time.

The school routinely sends out email messages to students warning about partying near Isla Vista's cliffs. And this spring almost 400 feet of low rail fencing was added to what had been a county park's unobstructed bluff edge.

The person running off the cliff at night is the one liable, unless they are a kid, then it's the parents fault for not watching them. No one knows if she even ran off the cliff for sure. She could have been killed and dumped there. It seems like a good spot to dump a body and then have a medical examiner who has seen many cliff suicides/accidents rule it a fall without really doing a proper autopsy. When you think about it, a cliff without fences, and a party nearby of drunk underage students is going to equal trouble with or without the police showing up.

Police hitting non-violent people with batons should be fired and prosecuted. I know that is unlikely to happen, but that is what should happen.

RickyJ
04-10-2013, 09:53 PM

You don't understand what a fact is do you?

Anti Federalist
04-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Why? Would it send you into spiralling depression?

No.

An arrest and conviction for public intoxication, can result in the loss of my professional licenses, the end of thirty plus year career and, as sole family breadwinner, the loss of my home and the ability to homeschool my kids.

So yah, my life come to crashing halt.

So cram your snark, some of us do have to work for a living, and some of us are over a fucking Matrix barrel that we've been trying to warn people about for decades now.

To no avail.

Your contradictions confuse me, you say, rightly, that we should shake our heads at the police state we live, then dismiss police statism.

P3ter_Griffin
04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
While in high school we always had big parties on a few select bluffs. The cops wouldn't chase us most of the time because they didn't want us to fall, but on a few occasions they did. Being there, in this persons shoes, I can say that it is a choice to run. I definitely wouldn't fault the cops for this.

kcchiefs6465
04-10-2013, 10:27 PM
While in high school we always had big parties on a few select bluffs. The cops wouldn't chase us most of the time because they didn't want us to fall, but on a few occasions they did. Being there, in this persons shoes, I can say that it is a choice to run. I definitely wouldn't fault the cops for this.
Where I was referring to the cops do not care about anyone but the dealers or someone getting into fights. (there are a lot of cops.. the party is advertised) Marijuana isn't legal there but you could smoke openly without being harrassed. People selling weed brownies or whatever. As long as you aren't blatantly setting up a stand or something they do not care. I don't believe they are allowed to chase you. (there's been a few people fall and die out there... usually from trying to jump across a cliff [or whatever you call it])

MelissaWV
04-11-2013, 05:17 AM

What article did you guys all read!?!?!?

fisharmor
04-11-2013, 07:07 AM
What article did you guys all read!?!?!?
I'm with Melissa... where are the facts? The article has squat in it.

dannno
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Residences typically have some kind of fence line between yards and bluff edges. Some fences are short and are sometimes crossed by people needing a place to relieve themselves.

"Sometimes they go on the other side of fences to use restrooms," he said.

Visiting students may not realize how close the cliffs are, he said. "It's an unfamiliar place."

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130409/ARTICLES/130409509/1033/news?p=2&tc=pg

Again, my guess, she went on the other side of the fence to relieve herself and the cops came to the back of the complex while she was on the other side of the fence and maybe she tried to get to the next residence over, but she knew she didn't want to be seen on the other side of the fence because they would think she was urinating back there and she would get a ticket for public intoxication and urinating in public.

Why do I think this happened? Because I don't think her friends left her. They were all from out of town and I am very certain her friends stayed at the party and looked for her for at least 20 minutes after everybody was cleared out by the police. Or the police corralled her friends away and they went back to look for her later. They probably figured she met a guy and left with him or got corralled away by police and got lost.

Either way it sounds like there was a big police effort going on and I would say with 80-90% certainty that their presence caused her to fall over the cliff.

Brian4Liberty
04-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm with Melissa... where are the facts? The article has squat in it.

We are hypothesizing. We are good at that. ;)