PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Weiner - The Unlikeable

angelatc
04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Weiner and his wife did an interview for New York Times magazine, to start warming people up to the idea of the him being their next mayor. Reading through it, I'm struck by how hard the reporter is working to make them seem likeable.

And of course, how utterly unlikeable they actually are. The whole article is here (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/magazine/anthony-weiner-and-huma-abedins-post-scandal-playbook.html?ref=magazine&_r=1&) - I encourage you not to gouge your eyes out while reading it.

Here's one of my favorite parts:

Two days (after the resignation), Abedin boarded Clinton’s plane for a weeklong trip to Africa, with a stop in the United Arab Emirates. “My compass was my job,” she says. “It was where I could go and life was normal — nothing horrible had happened there.” As she was sitting on the plane, across from her colleagues, Reines and Jake Sullivan, two of Clinton’s aides, her phone rang. It was someone from the White House saying, “We are here for you, and we love you.” Abedin, who had been worried about embarrassing her friends in the administration, finally broke down and sobbed. With tears streaming down her face, she turned to Reines and Sullivan and began talking about some issue that was on the Africa agenda. “They just totally went with it and got down to work. There was no attention paid to my tears. And I was like, ‘Thank you for just responding like that.’ ”

Wake up woman! They put their heads down because you're their boss and you just made them very, very uncomfortable. Seriously, how awkward would it be to have your boss sitting across the table sobbing while giving you an assignment? Would you think, "I am going to be strong here!" or would you think, "Well, this is freaking awkward. I am just going to sit here and pretend I don't notice she's obviously not ready to be back at work."

Here's another piece de resistance - their first date:
... Weiner asked Abedin if she wanted to go out for a drink. She told him she had to work. Weiner turned to Clinton and said: “I asked Huma out for a drink, and she says she has to work. Can you give her the night off?” With Abedin now behind Weiner, waving her arms and shaking her head “no” to try to get her boss’s attention, Clinton, forever the Midwesterner, said, “Of course all you young people should go out!” Terry McAuliffe, the chairman of the D.N.C., who was watching the scene unfold, said: “Huma Weiner! Oh, my gosh! That’s so funny.” Abedin was mortified.

“So, we went out for a drink,” Weiner says, “which is when I found out she doesn’t drink,

I call bullshit. Friends, answer this question for me: If someone you do not like asks you out, what do you say?

Sober people - what is the first thing you say when someone asks you out for a drink?