PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul’s new education curriculum promises ‘self-discipline’ and ‘success’

sailingaway
04-09-2013, 11:06 PM
They also mention the accreditation red herring. I really wish North hadn't used such challenging language on that point, it makes it sound like this is unusual for home schooling programs, and my understanding is that it is the norm.

Good slide show at link, as well, if you haven't seen it:

Former Texas Rep. Ron Paul will unleash his take on the education system that focuses on “the biblical principle of self -government and personal responsibility,” this fall.

Paul’s educational institution, the Ron Paul Curriculum, was announced over the weekend as a two-tiered educational approach to homeschooling. The first is a free K-5 course system, supplemented by educational online videos and reading materials. The 6-12 program has a tuition of $250 per year plus $50 per course (the site does promise a 100 percent money-back guarantee). This second level is strictly self-taught and self-paced using online videos, reading assignments, and weekly essays.

Paul’s “rigorous” curriculum focuses on the history of liberty of Western civilization, Austrian economics, Christian principles, and the defense of the free market system, says Gary North, Paul’s director of curriculum development, in a video on the website. The curriculum also prioritizes use of primary sources, instead of textbooks that “dumb down the material.”

Paul has been a vocal opponent of big government and during several of his past presidential bids, he’s strongly advocated for the demolition of the Department of Education.

“If you care about your child, you’ll get the federal government out of the business of educating your kids,” Paul said during a FOX GOP debate in 2011. He placed the blame for what he considers the failure of reform programs like No Child Left Behind on the federal government and that citizens should be able to opt out of the public system.

Ulrich Boser, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, says he’s skeptical of the program, which seems to lack human interaction, something he says is an important part in successful learning.

[The program] assumes teachers make no difference at all,” Boser said. “I think when you look at homeschooling that works — it’s had ups and downs — it works when it’s a real educational process. That, more often then not, involves human begins in various steps of the process.”

Boser says though some students will do well in the program, a independent study lacks an individualized method and incentive to push someone to learn harder concepts.

Though an increasing number of parents are choosing to homeschool their children. The number of homeschooled children rose from 850,000 in 1999 to 1.5 million in 2007, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

more: http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2013/04/ron-pauls-new-education-curriculum-promises-self-discipline-and-success/

sailingaway
04-10-2013, 12:05 AM
related, this came across twitter tonight:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/73149_10152724019015080_2011225960_n.jpg

dannno
04-10-2013, 12:12 AM
diciprin?

AmericaFyeah92
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
It also promises religious, anti-science BS out of the mouth of Gary North, who thinks the Old Testament should be law. Ron Paul has made another mistake lining up beside a complete loon

sailingaway
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
It also promises religious, anti-science BS out of the mouth of Gary North, who thinks the Old Testament should be law. Ron Paul has made another mistake lining up beside a complete loon

Since the curriculum hasn't yet been released and TOM WOODS has a big hand in drafting it, I think you don't know what will be in it. Gary North can believe turtles carry the sun around the earth, but that isn't to say it would show up in Ron's curriculum.

Which isn't to say North is a loon, I frankly don't know much about his beliefs except what I've heard in the last week. HOwever the objections to this program have to do with what ONE person thinks and may not even have bearing on a program which is, after all, taught under the parents.

Sola_Fide
04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Ron has been tied to Gary North for decades. Gary was Ron's chief of staff for years. If Gary North's reconstructionism hasn't rubbed off on Ron in 30 years, it won't now. Stop worrying about it.

AmericaFyeah92
04-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Since the curriculum hasn't yet been released and TOM WOODS has a big hand in drafting it, I think you don't know what will be in it. Gary North can believe turtles carry the sun around the earth, but that isn't to say it would show up in Ron's curriculum.

Which isn't to say North is a loon, I frankly don't know much about his beliefs except what I've heard in the last week. HOwever the objections to this program have to do with what ONE person thinks and may not even have bearing on a program which is, after all, taught under the parents.

True, I'm waiting to see how it turns out. But North was the guy they used for the video announcement, implying that he has an important position. I can almost guarantee you that between him and Woods (a devout Catholic, though a good scholar and not a theocrat like North), the kids will be learning that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, evolution is a satanist lie, etc.

tod evans
04-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Time will tell, I haven't seen much that the good Dr. has done that was a mistake in my eyes...

Sola_Fide
04-11-2013, 02:53 PM
True, I'm waiting to see how it turns out. But North was the guy they used for the video announcement, implying that he has an important position. I can almost guarantee you that between him and Woods (a devout Catholic, though a good scholar and not a theocrat like North), the kids will be learning that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, evolution is a satanist lie, etc.

Thomas Woods is a Roman Catholic. Roman Catholics believe in theistic evolution.

sailingaway
04-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Why don't you draft your own curriculum and compete? Ron might even include it as an alternative if it is good. Ron tends to believe parents should decide, don't you agree?

I don't know that North isn't being given too much rein, that he isn't going to take advantage some bad way, I don't know him. But assuming he will and feeding this meme seems kind of a raw deal for Ron who hasn't even had a chance to present the program yet.

AmericaFyeah92
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Why don't you draft your own curriculum and compete? Ron might even include it as an alternative if it is good. Ron tends to believe parents should decide, don't you agree?

I don't know that North isn't being given too much rein, that he isn't going to take advantage some bad way, I don't know him. But assuming he will and feeding this meme seems kind of a raw deal for Ron who hasn't even had a chance to present the program yet.

It's not my fault Ron chose a theocratic asshole to be the face of the program

Origanalist
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

You can't guarantee anything. Are you going to come back and eat your crow if you're wrong?

Sola_Fide
04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
If Ron wanted to sell the most of these programs he could, he would talk about young earth creationism. That is the market demographic.

sailingaway
04-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Ron wrote up the curriculum. Tom Woods did a blog on the curriculum. Gary North did a youtube. What makes you think Ron told Tom OR Gary what to do? What if Tom had done the youtube and Gary the blog, would that have made Tom the official spokesman?

I love Ron, but micromanaging is something he simply doesn't do.

And while it is a flaw at times, it is also a feature, or don't you believe in liberty?

(That was rhetorical. I assume you believe in liberty, but I think Ron might believe in it more, in terms of tolerance for others having different views)

AmericaFyeah92
04-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Ron wrote up the curriculum. Tom Woods did a blog on the curriculum. Gary North did a youtube. What makes you think Ron told Tom OR Gary what to do? What if Tom had done the youtube and Gary the blog, would that have made Tom the official spokesman?

I love Ron, but micromanaging is something he simply doesn't do.

And while it is a flaw at times, it is also a feature, or don't you believe in liberty?

(That was rhetorical. I assume you believe in liberty, but I think Ron might believe in it more, in terms of tolerance for others having different views)

Oh please. Freedom of speech means I can also call out Gary for his views, and Ron for giving them a platform. If a Neo-Nazi was playing a large role in the Ron Paul curriculum, would you wave away concerns with "well, that's free speech for you?"

And Ron's hands-off approach to things that use his name has bitten him in the ass hard before. I think we all know what I'm talking about

sailingaway
04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh please. Freedom of speech means I can also call out Gary for his views, and Ron for giving them a platform. If a Neo-Nazi was playing a large role in the Ron Paul curriculum, would you wave away concerns with "well, that's free speech for you?"

And Ron's hands-off approach to things that use his name has bitten him in the ass hard before. I think we all know what I'm talking about

Yeah, that last bit was the feature becoming a flaw at times part I was referring to. I can't know your fears AREN'T justified but right now all they are are fears.

I don't know if this is going to be a 'Gary North' platform or not. It might be a Ron Paul platform.

AmericaFyeah92
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't know if this is going to be a 'Gary North' platform or not. It might be a Ron Paul platform.

Let's hope so

affa
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
the beautiful thing about a home school curriculum is that you get to pick and choose. i'm sure there will be things in there i'll use, and other things i'll toss.