PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK TIMES: VOTE IS CLOSE

itshappening
04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
“I took an oath to uphold the Constitution,” said Senator Ron Johnson, Republican of Wisconsin.

Senator James Inhofe, Republican of Oklahoma, excoriated Mr. Obama for bringing the parents of the Newtown victims to Washington aboard Air Force One on Monday evening.

“To me that’s so unfair of the administration to put them into that position when this has nothing to do with them and they know that,” he said. “It’s using someone’s emotions, someone’s tragedy to their advantage, and I think it’s morally wrong.”

At this point, advocates of the gun bill appear on the edge of the 60 votes they will need to break a filibuster, but it is close.

Many Republicans — and some Democrats — appeared solidly on the fence over whether to let the bill proceed.

“I want to see what’s in the bill,” said Senator Rob Portman, Republican of Ohio. “If it is an infringement on Second Amendment rights, many of us would want to block it.”

Senator Mark Begich, Democrat of Alaska, who is up for re-election in 2014, said he too was waiting to hear more. In his state, he said, “We like our guns.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/us/politics/more-senate-republicans-oppose-filibuster-on-gun-bill.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-thecaucus&_r=0

-

Folks, we have a day to get the word out and to mobilize!!

Let's do it!

jbauer
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Contacted Corker and Alexander from TN

Brett85
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Even if they get the 60 votes to let the bill proceed, wouldn't they still need 60 votes later on to end debate? Or will they just need 50 votes to pass the bill if Reid gets the 60 votes today? This is kind of confusing. I thought this was just a motion to proceed, but then I read that Reid was going to file for "cloture," and closure usually means voting on whether to end debate.