PDA

View Full Version : Are you autistic?

Brian4Liberty
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
There used to be a word for functioning autistics: smart.

Washington, Apr 9 (ANI): Children typically copy adult behavior as a social phenomenon, not to learn new skills, though this differs among those with autism.

In their study, psychologists at The University of Nottingham found that autistic children, who have profound difficulty in engaging in social situations, were less likely to copy unnecessary behaviour when learning a new task.

The research could offer a new approach to examining social development in children and adults with disorders on the autistic spectrum.

"Our study showed that typically developing children copy everything an adult does, even when they know that some of the actions are 'silly," Dr Antonia Hamilton, who led the research in the University's School of Psychology, said.

"In contrast, the children with autism only copied the useful actions - in a way, they are getting the job done more efficiently than the typical children.

"These results show us that copying unnecessary actions is a social phenomenon, it is not just about learning how to use objects," she said.
In the study, children were asked to watch carefully as an adult showed them how to retrieve a toy from a box or to build a simple object.

Critically, the demonstration included two vital actions such as unclipping and removing the lid and one superfluous action such as tapping the top of the box twice.

The child was then asked to get or make the toy as fast as they could - without mentioning the need to copy all of the actions of the adult exactly as they had seen them.

Over 97 percent of the children were able to complete the tasks of fetching or making the toy.

Typical children also copied 43-57 percent of the unnecessary actions, while the autistic children copied only 22 percent.
The scientists argue that typical children copy everything an adult does because they are more eager to please and to "fit in".

The study is published in the journal Current Biology. (ANI)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/autistic-kids-less-likely-imitate-silly-behavior-090823844.html

Christian Liberty
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes, I have asperger's syndrome. I think I'm both smarter and more socially awkward than the average. There's two sides to the coin...

fisharmor
04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm sure this is great consolation for parents who still have to scrape their 6-year-old kid's shit out of their pants.
Way to prioritize.

talkingpointes
04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I would go out on a limb a say judging from the amount of intj's for whatever reason in this movement is probably a good indicator. I was diagnosed with clinical depression and adhd. I have wondered since I was younger. My entire life people have commented about my ability to understand social cues - I just like seclusion. I think getting lost in my head is more interesting then 95% of conversations I can have with people in real life.

Czolgosz
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
I would go out on a limb a say judging from the amount of intj's for whatever reason in this movement is probably a good indicator. I was diagnosed with clinical depression and adhd. I have wondered since I was younger. My entire life people have commented about my ability to understand social cues - I just like seclusion. I think getting lost in my head is more interesting then 95% of conversations I can have with people in real life.

lmao, I could have written this. :D No, really.

S.Shorland
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
'The doctor says I is impotent.So if I is impotent,I is gonna dress like I is impotent!'

heavenlyboy34
04-09-2013, 01:23 PM
lmao, I could have written this. :D No, really.
Ditto. But I've always blamed it on other people for being boring. :cool:

Czolgosz
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Ditto. But I've always blamed it on other people for being boring. :cool:

Me too! haha

heavenlyboy34
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Me too! haha
+rep :D

Czolgosz
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
+rep :D

reverse-rep'd :D

(glad I'm not the only one who thinks other people are boring - hahahha)

KerriAnn
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
My little brother was diagnosed with aspergers. He's incredibly smart, but some have labeled him as socially awkward. I don't think he's awkward at all. He's smarter than most people, and he sees things from a completely different perspective.

Maybe these high functioning autistics are nothing more than geniuses with an incredibly unique perspective on the world. I think we need more of these people. They have a lot to offer the world.

Kodaddy
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't say I was autistic, but I can color inside the lines and draw pretty well...

presence
04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
My entire life people have commented about my ability to understand social cues - I just like seclusion. I think getting lost in my head is more interesting then 95% of conversations I can have with people in real life.

I can agree with that.

Philhelm
04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
A hooker once told me that I was Aspergy.

MelissaWV
04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
I haven't really been diagnosed with something mental. I haven't put myself in a position to be diagnosed.

I have "symptoms" which I prefer to think of as personality traits, because that's what they are.

heavenlyboy34
04-09-2013, 08:07 PM
reverse-rep'd :D

(glad I'm not the only one who thinks other people are boring - hahahha)
btw...have you ever tried a communication course or self-help book? I have, and it didn't really help me. :/ It was worth college credit though. :)

Dr.3D
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, I have asperger's syndrome. I think I'm both smarter and more socially awkward than the average. There's two sides to the coin...

Never tried one of those.
http://textfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ass_burger-13327.jpg