PDA

View Full Version : Benton Bugged

itshappening
04-09-2013, 07:23 AM
How did he let this happen ??

-
Secret tape: Mitch McConnell aides discuss Ashley Judd

Aides to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell discussed attacking Ashley Judd’s mental health if the actress had opted to challenge the Kentuckian in 2014, according to a secret audio recording.

“She’s clearly, this sounds extreme, but she is emotionally unbalanced,” a McConnell aide says on the recording, which was obtained and posted by the liberal magazine Mother Jones. “I mean it’s been documented. Jesse can go in chapter and verse from her autobiography about, you know, she’s suffered some suicidal tendencies. She was hospitalized for 42 days when she had a mental breakdown in the ’90s.”

McConnell himself is heard speaking at the beginning of the meeting, which features aides presenting a whole range of opposition research they were considering using against Judd. At one point, a person describes “a wealth of material” to use potentially against Judd, prompting laughter from those present.

Most of the discussion focuses on Judd’s liberal positions, including support for gay marriage and President Barack Obama’s health care reform law. It is unclear how long McConnell was present during the session, which took place on Feb. 2 in Louisville, Ky.

In her 2011 autobiography, Judd writes that she checked into a rehab center for depression as an adult and says she considered suicide as a sixth-grader.

Judd ultimately opted not to challenge McConnell.

The audio recording was obtained by David Corn, the same reporter who first posted the infamous “47 percent” tape featuring then-GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney speaking disparagingly of President Barack Obama’s supporters.

“We’ve always said the Left will stop at nothing to attack Sen. McConnell, but Nixonian tactics to bug campaign headquarters is above and beyond,” Jesse Benton, McConnell’s campaign manager, said in a statement.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/mitch-mcconnell-ashley-judd-kentucky-89795.html?hp=r1

Cowlesy
04-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Sounds like there is a rat in the inner circle.

kathy88
04-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Benton probably released it himself.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Sounds like there is a rat in the inner circle.

Maybe the same guy who got Bob Barr in Borat and Ron Paul in Bruno?

itshappening
04-09-2013, 07:44 AM

The McConnell re-election campaign will be more of a circus than usual with Benton running it. He's already managed to p*ss off David Adams. I hope they find someone to give him a good primary.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 07:45 AM
I think they should call the FBI. If this is a rat in the inner circle, then it probably wasn't illegal. But if somebody bugged this room or the table they were sitting at in a restaurant, then this is Watergate.

supermario21
04-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Was Adams involved? I just hope it wasn't one of the Paul guys. And yes, this should totally be illegal. This stuff goes on in every campaign known to man.

Athan
04-09-2013, 08:47 AM

I see what you did there.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
http://joiningtheforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/fbi-agent-badge.jpg

McConnell has called in the FBI :

-
Senator Mitch McConnell’s reelection campaign says its headquarters have been bugged.

Earlier today, Mother Jones released audio recordings that feature McConnell aides discussing how actress Ashley Judd, who had been publicly considering running for Senate, had suffered from depression.

According to a McConnell insider, there’s no chance that one of the participants in that meeting leaked the tape. The conference room in which the discussion was held was locked, and it wasn’t a big meeting: Only about six people were present, all longtime McConnell loyalists.

“We’ve always said the Left would stop at nothing to attack Senator McConnell, but Watergate-style tactics to bug campaign headquarters are above and beyond,” said McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton in a statement.

“Senator McConnell’s campaign is working with the FBI and has notified the local U.S. Attorney in Louisville, per FBI request, about these recordings,” Benton added. “Obviously a recording device of some kind was placed in Senator McConnell’s campaign office without consent. By whom and how that was accomplished presumably will be the subject of a criminal investigation.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/345102/mcconnell-campaign-headquarters-was-illegally-bugged-criminal-investigation-needed-kat

talkingpointes
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
http://joiningtheforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/fbi-agent-badge.jpg

McConnell has called in the FBI :

-
Senator Mitch McConnell’s reelection campaign says its headquarters have been bugged.

Earlier today, Mother Jones released audio recordings that feature McConnell aides discussing how actress Ashley Judd, who had been publicly considering running for Senate, had suffered from depression.

According to a McConnell insider, there’s no chance that one of the participants in that meeting leaked the tape. The conference room in which the discussion was held was locked, and it wasn’t a big meeting: Only about six people were present, all longtime McConnell loyalists.

“We’ve always said the Left would stop at nothing to attack Senator McConnell, but Watergate-style tactics to bug campaign headquarters are above and beyond,” said McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton in a statement.

“Senator McConnell’s campaign is working with the FBI and has notified the local U.S. Attorney in Louisville, per FBI request, about these recordings,” Benton added. “Obviously a recording device of some kind was placed in Senator McConnell’s campaign office without consent. By whom and how that was accomplished presumably will be the subject of a criminal investigation.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/345102/mcconnell-campaign-headquarters-was-illegally-bugged-criminal-investigation-needed-kat

Bugged. If they have computers you can listen to the microphones with flash open and a back door. It would take some magic. But this might not be some electrical device sitting around.

juleswin
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Benton probably released it himself.

Why in the world would he release such a thing. Using a person's 6th grade suicidal thought as a way to attack her cannot be good for him.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Why in the world would he release such a thing. Using a person's 6th grade suicidal thought as a way to attack her cannot be good for him.

Yes, because they never used Mitt Romney's childhood against him.

Again the liberal bullshit.

They are talking about gun legislation that would take away the right to own a weapon if anybody in the home was ever treated for mental illness while crying that Mitch McConnell's staff is mean for reading her book out loud?

I just wrote a blog piece about this: the Democrats should be worried that someone broke the law, but instead they're trying to put McConnell on the defense???

kathy88
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Two reasons I can think of.

1. He's just a dick.
2. He's secretly trying to create a scandal that will ruin McConnell's chances, thus putting an end to all the "benton is a sell out asshole who sabotaged Ron's campaign" buzz. You know, stealth and all.

I think it's 1.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM

1. He's just a dick.
2. He's secretly trying to create a scandal that will ruin McConnell's chances, thus putting an end to all the "benton is a sell out asshole who sabotaged Ron's campaign" buzz. You know, stealth and all.

I think it's 1.

I think the Democrats put this out. At the end of the tape, they discuss another potential candidate, and say that so far that the only thing they have on her is that she supported Obama's platform.

Now we know why Judd backed out. Now they can use this tape to accuse McConnell of not planning to run on the issues.

S.Shorland
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Sounds true
I think the Democrats put this out. At the end of the tape, they discuss another potential candidate, and say that so far that the only thing they have on her is that she supported Obama's platform.

Now we know why Judd backed out. Now they can use this tape to accuse McConnell of not planning to run on the issues.

supermario21
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
We need to spin this to implicate the Clintons possibly. Remember Bill is friends with Lundergan-Grimes's dad and promised that he and Hillary would give them full support in trying to win and get Judd not to run.

JoshLowry
04-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Great time to bring up domestic spying issues and that 4th amendment thing.

Whining hypocrites.

NIU Students for Liberty
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Hypocrisy at its finest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD6uLy2oq6Y

TNforPaul45
04-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Wow.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
An interesting take?

-
mckennamiller ‏@McKennaMiller

McConnell tape: 10-14 sec into "anesthesia" shuffling paper and tapping on iphone. This isn't a bug, it's a staffer.

Badger Paul
04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
"Benton probably released it himself. "

Dear Lord I hope it's true.

I wouldn't consider Benton a "long-time" McConnell loyalist, assuming he was in the room.

Cowlesy
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Nothing shocks me about the lengths to which the Left will go anymore.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
mckennamiller ‏@McKennaMiller

McConnell tape: 10-14 sec into "anesthesia" shuffling paper and tapping on iphone. This isn't a bug, it's a staffer.

If Benton was responsible, he won't be on Rand Paul's 2016 campaign, right?

torchbearer
04-09-2013, 12:23 PM
new rule for campaign meetings, all cellphones on table with batteries out. can't take the battery out- leave it in your car. I got a warehouse with thick metal walls and ceiling. hard to get signal. may be perfect place for political meeting.

juleswin
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

Whining hypocrites.

Can they prove it was done under any provision of the patriot act? If not, then the Patriot act is not a play. As someone said, this could have been taped by a staffer who was invited to the meeting which would make the recording legal.

WM_in_MO
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Nothing shocks me about the lengths to which the Left will go anymore.
Which one are they again?

jbauer
04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Please Please Please let this be a lesson to Rand in 2016. Don't count on my donations with that clown running the show.

anaconda
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
JuddGate!

anaconda
04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Please Please Please let this be a lesson to Rand in 2016. Don't count on my donations with that clown running the show.

Probably pretty easy to plant a bug in a Senator's office. Is there some kind of high tech method of sweeping for bugs?

jbauer
04-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Probably pretty easy to plant a bug in a Senator's office. Is there some kind of high tech method of sweeping for bugs?

In the movies there are!! But I would imagine it would depend on how it was captured. Via a cellphone is probably the easiest but would imply there is a rat amongst them. You could record and store the material at the office but that would require going back for it. If you're not interested in going back for it, then you're transmitting it somehow. There is likely a way to pick up said signal. Its probably just as likely that it was picked up from an open mic on a computer/laptop/smartphone and I would suggest stopping all those is probably near impossible.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Whining hypocrites.

LOL - I saw a comment like that on the internet. Something like, "How does it feel, Mr. Patriot Act?"

angelatc
04-09-2013, 03:06 PM

It wasn't in his Senate office. It's illegal to use government resources for campaigning. It was in the campaign office they set up in Kentucky, I'm guessing. Someone here will probably know, but I'm guessing it's a repurposed storefront or "rent-an-office" type of set up.

FriedChicken
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Does it seem strange that their campaign headquarters was bugged and THIS is all they came up with? I mean come on ... no inappropriate joke? Nothing that could be seen as racist? Nothing that could be taken as slanderous to the poor?

Just a few facts about Ashley Judd that they got from her own book as a foot note with 90% of the conversation being about her liberal political views?

Of course, then again, I didn't think Romney's 47% remark was near as bad as everyone else did (the public) either.
Seems like one could say that if this is the worst they caught them saying when they didn't know anyone was listening than its a pretty squeaky clean campaign.

I have a feeling this will help McConnell more than it will help him - but I'm regularly astounded by what the general public seems to make a big deal out of while and the things they tend to let slide.

MRK
04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Does it seem strange that their campaign headquarters was bugged and THIS is all they came up with? I mean come on ... no inappropriate joke? Nothing that could be seen as racist? Nothing that could be taken as slanderous to the poor?

Just a few facts about Ashley Judd that they got from her own book as a foot note with 90% of the conversation being about her liberal political views?

Of course, then again, I didn't think Romney's 47% remark was near as bad as everyone else did (the public) either.
Seems like one could say that if this is the worst they caught them saying when they didn't know anyone was listening than its a pretty squeaky clean campaign.

I have a feeling this will help McConnell more than it will help him - but I'm regularly astounded by what the general public seems to make a big deal out of while and the things they tend to let slide.

Let me give an example about the way mainstream news works for Boobus. When the newscaster talks about the 'big stories' in the 6 o clock news they spend about 5 seconds talking about something before bringing up the next topic, like adopted puppies or something. So in those 5 seconds, all they hear is that McConnell's campaign got 'caught' talking about considering exploiting some poor actress for a mental problem she had 20 years ago. There's not going to be any 'big picture' thinking going on here before they cue the puppies story.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
And just to prove that some people never change:

We asked Mother Jones Washington bureau chief David Corn, who wrote the story, for comment. He told me: “We reached out to McConnell’s Senate office and his campaign office, including Jesse Benton in particular yesterday, and didn’t hear back from them. Lawyers for Mother Jones (http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/04/09/mitch_mcconnell_working_with_the_fbi_in_response_t o_leaked_audio_of_strategy.html)vetted the story.

Imagine that.

mad cow
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
The audio recording was obtained by David Corn, the same reporter who first posted the infamous “47 percent” tape featuring then-GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney speaking disparagingly of President Barack Obama’s supporters.

I am glad that Jesse didn't talk to this dude.They might find themselves testifying on opposite sides of a criminal case on just how that recording was obtained.

It is one thing if one of the six people in the room recorded it.It is something totally different if it was recorded by a planted bug.
That smells like Watergate.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I am glad that Jesse didn't talk to this dude.They might find themselves testifying on opposite sides of a criminal case on just how that recording was obtained.

It is one thing if one of the six people in the room recorded it.It is something totally different if it was recorded by a planted bug.
That smells like Watergate.

It would have been a wonderful thing to be in front of this story instead of behind it. If it was a staffer, McConnell could save himself a ton of embarrassment by firing someone before the audio was circling the net. Or at least by tempering the discussion. Instead, Benton led the charge with the accusation of it being a bug. If it turns out that it was a staffer, he's going to look ridiculous.

Which might be yet another reason they decided to release it. "Hey guys! Watch this! We'll get them to accuse us of dirty tricks, then we'll show play the staffer card! Lolz for all!!!"

itshappening
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
And just to prove that some people never change:

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]

Imagine that.

Benton is not going to talk to a left-wing publication like that.

angelatc
04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Benton is not going to talk to a left-wing publication like that.

I understand why he wouldn't want to do an interview, but if they called him and said they had an insider tape he might be interested in knowing about, then he probably should have.

But in all fairness, this is Monday morning quarterbacking.

mad cow
04-09-2013, 04:23 PM
I see nothing in this story to be embarrassed about,unless you're Ashley Judd.The FBI and Kentucky law enforcement are involved now,at the request of the McConnell campaign,and I am sure everybody in that room will be giving a sworn statement to both shortly.

If it turns out that one of them made the recording that would be embarrassing,but I would never talk to David Corn about this or anything else,ever,if I was them.
He is not their friend.

parocks
04-09-2013, 08:10 PM

1. He's just a dick.

I think it's 1.

A version of 2. would be create a scandal (or something) that causes him to not run for reelection, thus allowing someone better to run in his place.

kathy88
04-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Isn't that reporter the same one who broke Romneys 47 percent comment? Any chance one individual was at both events?

kcchiefs6465
04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Yes, there are methods for sweeping for bugs. Pretty inexpensive as well.

http://www.spytechs.com/bug_sweep_equip/default.htm

itshappening
04-09-2013, 08:26 PM
it wasn't a bug though it was obviously a recording app on a phone or something.

McConnell is just spinning it and making himself look like a wronged victim of a dastardly leftist plot. Clever.

kcchiefs6465
04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
it wasn't a bug though it was obviously a recording app on a phone or something.

McConnell is just spinning it and making himself look like a wronged victim of a terrible leftist plot. Clever.
They have cellphone detectors as well.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.

vita3
04-10-2013, 05:40 AM
I didn't know Benton was working for Senator McConnel.

You would think he would be all about replacing GOP Senate leadership

angelatc
04-10-2013, 06:43 AM

McConnell is just spinning it and making himself look like a wronged victim of a dastardly leftist plot. Clever.

I think if anybody is doing that it's Benton. This isn't McConnell's first trip to the major leagues. No way would he demand an FBI investigation if he knew the results would embarrass him. Because braying about the Democrats being cheaters then finding out your own staff was to blame would indeed be embarrassing.

Benton, however, could easily consider himself the next Karl Rove.....

angelatc
04-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Isn't that reporter the same one who broke Romneys 47 percent comment? Any chance one individual was at both events?

The person who taped Romney's speech was a bartender at the event.

compromise
04-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Maybe this will lead to a change to McConnell's stance on civil liberties?

LibertyEagle
04-10-2013, 07:14 AM

And who would that be in your mind? Benton had absolutely nothing to do with that. The person who accepted the appointment with Bruno is a forum member here and has been over here more than once explaining what happened. I find it hard to believe that you, being a member since 2007, have not seen that.

LibertyEagle
04-10-2013, 07:16 AM
I didn't know Benton was working for Senator McConnel.

You would think he would be all about replacing GOP Senate leadership

Maybe he is. Have you considered that?