PDA

View Full Version : U.S. diplomat died 'doing what she loved' in Afghanistan

itshappening
04-09-2013, 12:51 AM
What did she love doing? Being part of an occupying force in a foreign country?

Are these people crazy? Young, idealistic Hillary Clintonites who work for the State Dept. and think they're changing the world.

Well, the reality is you're part of an occupying force committing crimes against the population on a daily basis.

They're not wanted there so the message to all State Dept staff is get out while you can or face being targeted and killed.

It doesn't matter how secure you think the compound is or how tall the walls they build. They will find a way to kill you because they're a resistance and all American personnel are deemed legitimate targets.

I'm sorry for the loss of life and thoughts to the family but if you go there to be part of the this braindead adventure then this is what happens.

-
(CNN) -- Anne Smedinghoff lived inside a heavily secured compound.

But the public diplomacy officer for the U.S. Embassy in Kabul was always pushing to get out.

"We thought she was relatively safe in the embassy compound, but as it turned out, Anne really wanted to do a lot more," her father, Tom Smedinghoff, told CNN.

This past weekend, the 25-year-old was trying to do just that -- delivering books to a school in southern Afghanistan -- when a suicide bomber smashed into her convoy Saturday, killing Smedinghoff and four others. She is believed to be the first U.S. diplomat killed since the September attack in Benghazi, Libya.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/07/us/diplomat-killed-profile/index.html

itshappening
04-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Anyone want to take her place??

The job probably pays $100k

Cowlesy
04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Cold, man...just cold. Did you know her personally?

I hope folks realize that some people actually enter these jobs with the best intentions. Maybe she was doing great work.

How many folks on this board pre-2007 were stalwart traditional conservatives or libertarians? I wasn't. I was a rank and file GOP'r. My point is, it looks awful to dance on people's graves or question their intentions, especially when they aren't public figures. May she RIP.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 08:41 AM
All Department of State employees, enjoy the following benefits:

Annual Leave
Credit Union and Fitness Facility
Employee Consultation Service
Employee Recreation Association
Family Medical Leave
Health Benefits Plans
Life Insurance
Long-Term Care Insurance
Sick Leave
Thrift Savings Plan (equivalent to 401(k) with Government Matching)
10 Paid Holidays
-

All you need to join is a worthless degree and you too can join the occupation in Afhganistan and hand out textbooks to kids.

It doesn't say if the Department will cover funeral expenses.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 08:42 AM

I hope folks realize that some people actually enter these jobs with the best intentions. Maybe she was doing great work.

How many folks on this board pre-2007 were stalwart traditional conservatives or libertarians? I wasn't. I was a rank and file GOP'r. My point is, it looks awful to dance on people's graves or question their intentions, especially when they aren't public figures. May she RIP.

My hope is people don't join the occupation or if they're there they leave so I can save some lives.

Sadly the young, idealistic people who join the State Dept. think they're changing the world and clap like a seal at the sight of Hillary Clinton. They have no idea what they're getting involved in or signing up to.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 08:51 AM
And you don't need to be a libertarian to know that you shouldn't be in Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya.

But thousands of Americans are either directly through the military and State dept. or through private contractors.

It's puzzling because they're considered legitimate targets. They should leave. Indeed, the State Dept's own advice that they issue to foreigners visiting various countries should be for them to leave!

These are dangerous, unstable countries with car bombs going off daily.

LEAVE folks, for Gods sake.

Don't become just another statistic commemorated by a two bit politician like John Kerry.

nano1895
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Are these people crazy? Young, idealistic Hillary Clintonites who work for the State Dept. and think they're changing the world.

Well, the reality is you're part of an occupying force committing crimes against the population on a daily basis.

They're not wanted there so the message to all State Dept staff is get out while you can or face being targeted and killed.

It doesn't matter how secure you think the compound is or how tall the walls they build. They will find a way to kill you because they're a resistance and all American personnel are deemed legitimate targets.

I'm sorry for the loss of life and thoughts to the family but if you go there to be part of the this braindead adventure then this is what happens.

-

But the public diplomacy officer for the U.S. Embassy in Kabul was always pushing to get out.

"We thought she was relatively safe in the embassy compound, but as it turned out, Anne really wanted to do a lot more," her father, Tom Smedinghoff, told CNN.

This past weekend, the 25-year-old was trying to do just that -- delivering books to a school in southern Afghanistan -- when a suicide bomber smashed into her convoy Saturday, killing Smedinghoff and four others. She is believed to be the first U.S. diplomat killed since the September attack in Benghazi, Libya.

As one person she did more to improve the situation in the Middle East than the entire US Military + trillions of debt for the past 10 years. Say what you want about naive idealism and liberal foolishness but like Ron Paul said, we need more people like her (diplomats) rather than soldiers.

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 09:24 AM

This. She was delivering books to schoolchildren for fuck's sake...

itshappening
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Do you people not get it ??

All American personnel are a legitimate target because the US is occupying the country.

That means diplomats and doctors are legitimate targets to be ruthlessly killed, kidnapped or tortured.

They should not be there. Even by the State dept's own criteria and advice for foreign countries their advisory would point out it's a dangerous place that Americans should not be traveling to.

So why are tens of thousands of Americans in these countries?

LEAVE and leave now.

For God's sake...

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Do you people not get it ??

All American personnel are a legitimate target because the US is occupying the country.

That means diplomats and doctors are legitimate targets to be ruthlessly killed, kidnapped or tortured.

They should not be there. Even by the State dept's own criteria and advice for foreign countries their advisory would point out it's a dangerous place that Americans should not be traveling to.

So why are tens of thousands of Americans in these countries?

LEAVE and leave now.

For God's sake...

Not every doctor over there is there for the "occupation." Some American doctors are quite welcome there, and in other areas of the world, and are there through private charities (Doctors without Borders, etc).

If they are there on their own free will, they understand what could happen - plain and simple.

And yes I "get it" - and I hope to be one of those doctors, someday. And I'd be pretty damn pissed if some American stuck his nose in my business and rallied and kept me from what I want to do.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Not every doctor over there is there for the "occupation." Some American doctors are quite welcome there, and in other areas of the world, and are there through private charities (Doctors without Borders, etc).

If they are there on their own free will, they understand what could happen - plain and simple.

Car bombs are going off daily. The State dept's own advisory should be saying this is a dangerous place and not to travel there.

If you go to this hellhole you're at serious risk of kidnap, torture or death.

It's not rocket science.

These idealistic young people who clap like a seal at the sight of Hillary Clinton and who think they're saving the world are dead wrong. They're not wanted in these countries and should NOT be there. Do something else.

Pericles
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Annual Leave
Family Medical Leave
Health Benefits Plans
Life Insurance
Long-Term Care Insurance
Sick Leave
10 Paid Holidays
-

All you need to join is a worthless degree from an appropriately elitist university and you too can join the occupation in Afghanistan and hand out textbooks to kids.

FIFY

juleswin
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM

So what? she was delivering books, she was there to give life saving immunization etc etc. The fact that she is with and working for the occupiers who most likely killed the parents of many of those children receiving the books is the point.

Imagine for a minute, if someone kidnaps you, locks you up in his labor camp and every once in a while, they send the hair dresser, make up crew to visit and pamper you. Remember, the make up and hair dresser crew is working for the kidnappers, they have no interest in freeing just, their objective in helping you is to comfort you so you see the kidnapper in a positive light.

Now would you give a fuck if someone kills the make up and hair dresser crew as they journey to take care of you in the camp? I hate to be harsh but you gotta look at the big picture here and less on this individual.

Cowlesy
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Car bombs are going off daily. The State dept's own advisory should be saying this is a dangerous place and not to travel there.

It's not rocket science.

These idealistic young people who clap like a seal at the sight of Hillary Clinton and who think they're saving the world are dead wrong. They're not wanted in these countries and should NOT be there. Do something else.

Oh my god you're so much smarter than all of us, we never realized it was a dangerous country, thank you for the enlightenment oh great one.

Sometimes I think people are so plugged into the internet that they lose all social and empathy skills, and everyone like this woman who get blown up, it's like some videogame death. Her parents say she died "doing what she loved" while in the process of trying to help some kids, and you write a blistering post that she's an idiot and had no clue what the risks are. Did you ask her if she knew what the risks are? Given that she was educated and part of the diplomatic core, I doubt she was a dummy.

What really burns me is that you turn her into a caricature of some naive brainwashed occupier without likely knowing a damn thing about her. Would you say this to her parents face that was she was an idiot and that Afghanistan is a dangerous place? We all enjoy some anonymity on the internet, but also take into account this post will be here forever, and someday her parents/friends/colleagues may read it.

I get it with public personas, but not with ordinary people.

My friend is in the USO and at Bagram AFB to try and make things a bit easier for our soldiers. That doesn't mean I don't want that person home, not to mention all our troops, and to just let Afghanistan burn if its people don't care about it. They know the risks. Believe it or not, I don't think many folks think Afghanistan is paradise.

belian78
04-09-2013, 09:46 AM

And yes I "get it" - and I hope to be one of those doctors, someday. And I'd be pretty damn pissed if some American stuck his nose in my business and rallied and kept me from what I want to do.

You guys are right of course, diplomatic missions and helping with schooling/medicine etc is the way to go. But what itshappening is getting at, and which I agree with, is that it's just not smart to try to do these things while we are occupying their frickin country.

Seriously, it's like holding out candy in your hand to a child, but having a friend snap them with a rubber band when they get close. Eventually even though you are trying to do something good, they will hate you for it because they will associate you with your friend and the pain they bring, and rightly so.

Let's get our occupying forces out of there, make it known we won't be meddling in their country's affairs going forward, but will offer humanitarian services if they would like them.

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM

It's not rocket science.

I think you are underestimating the want/need for medical care in some countries - a friend working with the Red Cross I met on a deployment begged me to come to Africa with him, where he primarily was deployed to - because the hospital he worked at had one working sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff) for the routine 600-800 patients within it. Could you even imagine that as an American... one working blood pressure cuff, in a hospital?

I'm not arguing with you that they are potentially putting themselves in harm's way - I'm arguing that there are good people who do wish to change the world, and are ok with putting themselves in harm's way. And there are also people who are incredibly thankful that there are people willing to do that.

EDIT: and for the record... charities (especially medical) were in Afghanistan/Iraq before the occupation. I know for a fact Doctors Without Borders were asked to stop during the occupation for five years. So, the US gov't created enemies just with that fact alone - they took away some area's only source of health monitoring - especially OB/GYN care.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh my god you're so much smarter than all of us, we never realized it was a dangerous country, thank you for the enlightenment oh great one.

Sometimes I think people are so plugged into the internet that they lose all social and empathy skills, and everyone like this woman who get blown up, it's like some videogame death. Her parents say she died "doing what she loved" while in the process of trying to help some kids, and you write a blistering post that she's an idiot and had no clue what the risks are. Did you ask her if she knew what the risks are? Given that she was educated and part of the diplomatic core, I doubt she was a dummy.

What really burns me is that you turn her into a caricature of some naive brainwashed occupier without likely knowing a damn thing about her. Would you say this to her parents face that was she was an idiot and that Afghanistan is a dangerous place? We all enjoy some anonymity on the internet, but also take into account this post will be here forever, and someday her parents/friends/colleagues may read it.

I get it with public personas, but not with ordinary people.

My friend is in the USO and at Bagram AFB to try and make things a bit easier for our soldiers. That doesn't mean I don't want that person home, not to mention all our troops, and to just let Afghanistan burn if its people don't care about it. They know the risks. Believe it or not, I don't think many folks think Afghanistan is paradise.

They should not be there. Plain and simple. The State Dept's own advice to you and me would be not to travel to these countries.

I don't care whether it's MSF, some charity, a State dept. worker who is "educated" or someone in the military. Afghans can do all that,. They dont want foreigners there and will kill them.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I think you are underestimating the want/need for medical care in some countries - a friend working with the Red Cross I met on a deployment begged me to come to Africa with him, where he primarily was deployed to - because the hospital he worked at had one working sphygmomanometer (blood pressure cuff) for the routine 600-800 patients within it. Could you even imagine that as an American... one working blood pressure cuff, in a hospital?

I'm not arguing with you that they are potentially putting themselves in harm's way - I'm arguing that there are good people who do wish to change the world, and are ok with putting themselves in harm's way. And there are also people who are incredibly thankful that there are people willing to do that.

Afghans can do medical work. They dont want foreigners there. Don't go there. Do something else. Tell everyone who is even thinking about providing medical care in Afghanistan not to go there.

belian78
04-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Private organizations should most certainly try to organize resources/people for humanitarian causes, no question. However, until we get our occupying forces out of their country, those humanitarians will be seen as more of the enemy, end of story.

jay_dub
04-09-2013, 10:02 AM
"Doing what she loved" is cold comfort for a parent losing their child. I suppose it's a way of coping.

I have to agree with it'shappening. Whether in a combat role or not, any American going over there is supporting an occupying force. She made her choice. She's dead. And some other starry-eyed young person will take her place.

It's past time to quit supporting the American regime, whether it's for adventure, money, education benefits or altruistic reasons. We have no draft. Nobody is there against their will. I sort of understood it right after 9/11, but geez, this is 10+ years later.

http://thumbs.imagekind.com/member/d7f78fc1-1727-4e21-b78e-c596763a9e1e/uploadedartwork/650X650/0e2be574-0670-4037-abc1-b238b4d61a20.jpg

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Afghans can do medical work. They dont want foreigners there. Don't go there. Do something else. Tell everyone who is even thinking about providing medical care in Afghanistan not to go there.

Afghanistan: MSF to Resume Medical Activities in Khost (http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/press/release.cfm?id=6359&cat=press-release)

“We are reopening the hospital because of the overwhelming messages of support for MSF we received from the community, and because of reassurances that our patients and medical staff will be safe inside the hospital,” said Benoit De Gryse, MSF’s country representative in Afghanistan.

In April, a bomb exploded inside the maternity hospital, injuring seven people. The attack occurred six weeks after MSF opened the facility, where more than 600 women had already delivered babies.

“Current circumstances make it possible for our teams in Khost to resume providing free, high-quality medical care for pregnant women, particularly those who cannot afford to pay for treatment and those suffering complicated pregnancies and deliveries,” De Gryse said.

Prior to reopening the hospital before the end of the year, necessary logistical work will be carried out and an all-female team of Afghan medical staff—including midwives and nurses—will be recruited to work alongside international colleagues; they are essential for the resumption of high-quality medical care in the hospital.

Support from the community and respect for the safety and security of patients, health facilities, and medical staff enable MSF to work in three other locations in Afghanistan and in more than 70 other countries.

MSF medical teams work in Ahmad Shah Baba Hospital in eastern Kabul and Boost Hospital in Lashkargah, Helmand Province. The organization also runs a surgical trauma center in Kunduz, providing lifesaving surgical care to people in northern Afghanistan. In all locations, MSF provides medical care free of charge and works in all wards of the hospitals. MSF does not accept funds from any government for its work in Afghanistan, relying solely on private funding.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Nirvikalpa, MSF or whoever it doesn't matter. They're going to target any foreigner. This is their jihad. It's a dangerous place and the State Dept will tell you and me not to travel there.

Afghans should be able to train their own people to do medical care. They dont need MSF there.

JK/SEA
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-interventionism

Ron Paul supports this. As do i.

klamath
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM

It's not rocket science.

And you are making a very big jump. All Afgan people do not hate all Americans. Your assumption is that all afgan people love and want the taliban back. Wrong. Even the world famous National Geographic Afgan Girl that grew up to be a very fundamentalist muslim wanted her daughters to be educated.

jay_dub
04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
And you are making a very big jump. All Afgan people do not hate all Americans. Your assumption is that all afgan people love and want the taliban back. Wrong. Even the world famous National Geographic Afgan Girl that grew up to be a very fundamentalist muslim wanted her daughters to be educated.

I'd say you're the one making the big jump. I don't see any post where it'shappening implied the Afghans love the Taliban.

You can't win a people over with books and medicine as long as bullets and bombs are part of the package.

Brian4Liberty
04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
It's a sad story. Her heart was in the right place.

I would point out that she was an up and comer, and moving up the ranks fairly fast. She was always in the company of the highest ranking US or Afghan authorities, and in their convoys. Like it or not, she was a high value target for the Taliban, based on her connections and "companions". The situation is similar to the Ambassador Stevens case (or his assistants).

If she was only doing charity work, she probably would have been a lot safer.

juleswin
04-09-2013, 10:23 AM

True but the American presence affects all Afghans and the ones being negatively affected will fight the Americas when they can. Its sorta like the deal with gun control, most Americans support gun control and yet we in the minority fight it. Ofc we fight it not because we don't want to deny the gun control advocates to the right to disarm themselves but we fight them because we do not want to be disarmed i.e. affected by their stupid laws.

When the American army uses depleted uranium rounds, fires from drones in their homes then Afghans who are awake will step and do what is right to end the occupation. Its sad that she had to die because most likely, she truly believed she was helping the people of Afghanistan.

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Charities were in Iraq/Afghanistan before the occupation started...

It's not rocket science.

Ah, I understand it now. Nice choice of words.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

And?

klamath
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I'd say you're the one making the big jump. I don't see any post where it'shappening implied the Afghans love the Taliban.

You can't win a people over with books and medicine as long as bullets and bombs are part of the package.
No. It is the generalization that "they" hate us. It is as bad as saying "they hate us for our freedoms":rolleyes: And yes some of them do hate us for that and would kill immoral Americans whether or not we had an occuping force there. It is the generalizations get people into a lot of trouble. East Indians love to rape and kill women....

itshappening
04-09-2013, 10:37 AM
No. It is the generalization that "they" hate us. It is as bad as saying "they hate us for our freedoms":rolleyes: And yes some of them do hate us for that and would kill immoral Americans whether or not we had an occuping force there. It is the generalizations get people into a lot of trouble. East Indians love to rape and kill women....

They don't want foreigners there. Whether it's a Brit, American or Australian. None should be in Afghanistan. There is no reason to be there. LEAVE.

belian78
04-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Exactly my point.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 10:39 AM

Ah, I understand it now. Nice choice of words.

Iraq was peaceful under the strongman Saddam. There weren't car bombs and 50 people being blown up every day. He had a grip on things.

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
No one is denying it is dangerous.

Let Americans (and non-Americans, for that matter) choose to live their lives the way they see fit - including offering humanitarian aid to war-torn Countries, potentially putting their lives at risk.

It's not rocket science.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Let Americans (and non-Americans, for that matter) choose to live their lives the way they see fit - including offering humanitarian aid to war-torn Countries, potentially putting their lives at risk.

It's not rocket science.

Of course people can do what they want. I'm just hoping they listen to the State Dept's own advice and leave or don't travel there. Sadly there are hundreds of thousands of Americans in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. They're all targets.

klamath
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
They don't want foreigners there. Whether it's a Brit, American or Australian. None should be in Afghanistan. There is no reason to be there. LEAVE.
There you go with that "they" "they" "they". Have you been there? Have you talked to individual people? Have they all said the hate your guts and they want to kill you because you are a foreigner? You are making a grand arguement for nuking the "Hellhole" into glass slag.:rolleyes:

belian78
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM

It's not rocket science.
Holy jumpin jehosephats, all we're saying is trying to do this while we are dropping bombs on them probably isnt the best timing. But yes if someone feels that strongly, and they know the risks, best of luck to ya I say. But tear jerking propaganda pieces are not needed in these cases, as the people know full well what they are getting themselves into.

klamath
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Iraq was peaceful under the strongman Saddam. There weren't car bombs and 50 people being blown up every day. He had a grip on things.
You need to get out more. Iraq was peaceful.??? Ask the kurds. Ask the sunnis. Ask the Iranians.

belian78
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
You need to get out more. Iraq was peaceful.??? Ask the kurds. Ask the sunnis. Ask the Iranians.

So the region is all rainbows and gumdrops since we ousted that mean ole Saddam? Seriously, it wasn't good but it wasn't this bad and it didn't spill over into other countries.

klamath
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
So the region is all rainbows and gumdrops since we ousted that mean ole Saddam? Seriously, it wasn't good but it wasn't this bad and it didn't spill over into other countries.
Ask the iranians and the kuwaiti if it spilled over. I am not saying it is rainbows and gumdrops now but to say it was peaceful under Sadamn is flat out ignorant.

Nirvikalpa
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Holy jumpin jehosephats, all we're saying is trying to do this while we are dropping bombs on them probably isnt the best timing. But yes if someone feels that strongly, and they know the risks, best of luck to ya I say. But tear jerking propaganda pieces are not needed in these cases, as the people know full well what they are getting themselves into.

Really? 'Cause you know... dropping bombs usually means people are getting hurt and losing appendages, which seems a wonderful time to have healthcare workers around... just sayin' ;)

belian78
04-09-2013, 10:55 AM

double post.

belian78
04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Really? 'Cause you know... dropping bombs usually means people are getting hurt and losing appendages, which seems a wonderful time to have healthcare workers around... just sayin' ;)

Yes, medical care is needed in warzones, to deny that would be assinine but you're being obtuse here.

jay_dub
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Well, 'they' do hate us, or at least enough of the 'theys' to make a generalization and state the obvious that it's a dangerous place.

I think that, after all this time, we have enough casualties to say that 'they' hate us, especially if you happen to be employed by the occupying force.

This bunch of 'theys' do hate us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In late 2009, the intelligence community adopted an estimate of 20,000 to 30,000 full-time insurgents, as reported by McClatchy newspapers in November and confirmed in a press briefing by Brig. Gen. Eric Tremblay, a spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), on Dec. 3, 2009.

But in 2010, the Taliban and their allies increased the total number of attacks to 34,000, compared with 22,000 in 2009, according to official ISAF data – a whopping 54 percent rise.

That major step-up in operations suggested that the Taliban had grown substantially between 2009 and 2010. Yet no revised intelligence estimate of Taliban strength appeared in late 2010, even though the National Intelligence Council produced a National Intelligence Estimate on Afghanistan in December.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2011/021511a.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also (more current):

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57571285/taliban-attacks-did-not-drop-in-2012-after-all-u.s-military-says/

juleswin
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM

I know if someone was dropping bombs on me and then providing healthcare for the injuries caused by those bombs, I sure would prefer they stop droping the bombs 1st before doing anything else. You just have to stop hurting people. I cant remember who it was that said, govt breaks your leg and then buys you crutches. This is just a good example of that saying happening to the Afghans, the army bombs and then the state dept comes with bandages and books.

Stop the bombs first and they will be 1000x more receptive to your humanitarian aide.

Zippyjuan
04-09-2013, 11:35 AM

-

Trying to share books and education is somehow evil? This is committing a crime (in Afghanistan, if you are a girl who wants an education and try to go to school, you are considered committing a crime)? She was trying to make things better- not killing people.

itshappening
04-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Trying to share books and education is somehow evil? This is committing a crime (in Afghanistan, if you are a girl who wants an education and try to go to school, you are considered committing a crime)? She was trying to make things better- not killing people.

Dear lord... I never said it was 'evil' to do what she did. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I think it was stupid she was there in the first place. No westerner should be in Afghanistan or Iraq.

thoughtomator
04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
"doing what she loved" = probable CIA

One reason people can't stand the US gov is that anything it touches is soon crawling with spies. Some of our diplomatic missions are basically nothing but, and we'll infect anything with them - businesses, embassies, "humanitarian" aid, and so on. How do you think our guests receive the fact that we collect their DNA?

Zippyjuan
04-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Dear lord... I never said it was 'evil' to do what she did. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I think it was stupid she was there in the first place. No westerner should be in Afghanistan or Iraq.

You did say:

I took that to mean that she was one of the criminals. Sorry if I mistook what you were saying.

juleswin
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
You did say:

I took that to mean that she was one of the criminals. Sorry if I mistook what you were saying.

Would it be fair to say that she was in league with the criminals? Especially see as she was being paid by them and was riding as part of their convoy when she was attacked.

Occam's Banana
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Daniel McAdams @ LRC: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/135210.html

'Carrying the Future' in Afghanistan

How sad and tragic that young US foreign service officer, Anne Smedinghoff, just 25 years old, was killed (http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/07/17640311-she-was-doing-what-she-loved-young-diplomat-among-6-americans-killed-in-afghanistan?lite) yesterday in Afghanistan. Sad and tragic not because, as the media tells us, she was a brave American hero sacrificing herself for our values, but rather because she no doubt was a victim of our own propagandistic mythology that US occupation of foreign lands is welcomed as a "global force for good (http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130205/NEWS/302050310/Poll-Public-rejects-8216-Global-force-for-good-)."

"She was doing what she loved," her grieving parents said of their daughter, who was killed while delivering school textbooks to Afghanistan's southern Zabul province. It is a safe bet that those textbooks were printed either by or under the close supervision of the US government and included all of the politically correct shibboleths that bright-eyed State Department, USAID, and NGOers are convinced the rest of the world is ravenous to ingest in their never-ending goal to be "just like us." Is it any wonder that may not be so welcomed? Reality bites hard, in this case it takes the form of a car bomb; last week it was a knife (http://azstarnet.com/news/world/us-soldier-killed-in-knife-attack-by-afghan-teen/article_7bda5f30-1224-53b8-9477-6671ed1a66c1.html).

Secretary of State John Kerry was purely Soviet in his dialectical reaction to the murder of Miss Smedinghoff. Said Kerry: "It's a grim reminder to all of us, though we didn't need any reminders, of how important and also how risky carrying the future is with people who want to resist."

Dare not resist our "carrying the future"!

But the rest of the world does resist. It does not want our propagandistic textbooks, it does not want our drones, it does not want our support of radical Islamists, it does not want our soldiers, and it does not want our diplomats or NGOs engaging in all manner of manipulation of domestic affairs overseas. Sadly, until young Americans like this foreign service officer start to question the mythologies spouted by politicians and duly amplified by the corporate media about the indispensability of the US "carrying the future," there will be many more unnecessary deaths -- on all sides.

Zippyjuan
04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Would it be fair to say that she was in league with the criminals? Especially see as she was being paid by them and was riding as part of their convoy when she was attacked.

It is my understanding that the attack was not on the convoy but on a local government official- the convoy simply happened to be there. No- I would not say that she was the same as a soldier- in league with criminals. You are a US citizen (I assume). This would imply that you too are a criminal if what you say is true- guilt by association.

CaseyJones
04-09-2013, 12:39 PM
ah more of the usual at good ol' bitcoinfuckthecopsandmilitaryforums

enhanced_deficit
04-10-2013, 12:10 AM

That is probably as safe in current war occupation as delivering polio vaccination to children in tribal areas there after it was leaked that polio vaccinatoin doctor was working for CIA. Now there is no more polio vaccination there even by legit medical teams for fear of attacks.

There is little point in "delivering books" in a violent occupation zone where bombs are being sprayed/people are being droned left and right. Right to life and liberty is far greater and primary objective of any legit diplomat should be ensuring peaceful resolution of conflicts. On the same day books delivery was being made probably for Obama PR, bombs were delivered to another set of children:

VOA News
April 07, 2013

Afghan officials say a coalition air strike has killed 11 civilians, including 10 children, in the eastern part of the country during a joint Afghan-NATO operation against Taliban militants.

http://www.voanews.com/content/afgha...n/1636483.html (http://www.voanews.com/content/afghan-officials-nato-air-strike-kills-11-civilians-mostly-children/1636483.html)

Obama's bungling policies haven't made life for legit diplomats safe either.

CIA’s Raymond Davis — “our diplomat,” Obama calls him—beats murder rap in Pakistan (http://markcrispinmiller.com/2011/03/cias-raymond-davis-our-diplomat-obama-calls-him-beats-murder-rap-in-pakistan/)

Raymond Davis a CIA Contractor, US Confirms (http://news.antiwar.com/2011/02/21/raymond-davis-a-cia-contractor-us-confirms/)

US Still Insists He Has 'Diplomatic Immunity'

by Jason Ditz, February 21, 2011

Despite referring to him since his arrest as a “technical advisor” and despite President Obama referring to him as “our diplomat,” Davis is confirmed as a contractor to the CIA, and is responsible for providing security to CIA spies who travel in Pakistan (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-pakistan-cia-20110222,0,7234338.story). Incredibly, the US is still demanding that Davis be released without charges and insists that he is entitled to “diplomatic immunity” because, even though he was actually a spy, he is still officially (though apparently fraudulently) listed as a member of the embassy’s technical staff.

http://news.antiwar.com/2011/02/21/raymond-davis-a-cia-contractor-us-confirms/

alucard13mmfmj
04-10-2013, 12:18 AM

Annual Leave
Family Medical Leave
Health Benefits Plans
Life Insurance
Long-Term Care Insurance
Sick Leave
10 Paid Holidays
-

All you need to join is a worthless degree and you too can join the occupation in Afhganistan and hand out textbooks to kids.

o really???? i can join? :D

TheTexan
04-10-2013, 12:34 AM
She was delivering books to schoolchildren for fuck's sake...

Was she though? It just seems too convenient, for a nice propaganda story.

Zippyjuan
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
o really???? i can join? :D

I have taken the State Department exam many times- it is very difficult. You must score 80% or better in five of seven catetories including economics, business, history, arts ("culture"), geography, "consular relations", English grammar (going off the top of my head- can't remember all of them). Got close a couple of times but never good enough. One time I took the exam in the US Embassay in London (the old one on Grovsner Square- they since built a new one).

http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/governmentjobs1/a/foreignservice.htm

ninepointfive
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.barackobamabooks.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/change-we-can-believe-in-obama-books.jpg

That was the book she was delivering. Those people need some hope and a plan to change.