PDA

View Full Version : David Frum (CNN) not impressed...says GOP "off to a bad start for 2016"

supermario21
04-08-2013, 07:36 PM
http://edit ion.c nn.com/2 013/04/08/opinion/frum-repu blican s-2016/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- Democrats acting like Republicans. Republicans acting like Democrats. The 2016 presidential contest is shaping up to be the political equivalent of gender-bending.
Democrats are coalescing early around a front-runner who certainly will be lavishly funded, Hillary Clinton. She's campaigning on the familiar GOP platform: "Next in line."
Meanwhile, a twice-beaten Republican Party finds itself doing as Democrats often did in the Reagan era, surveying a field of little-knowns and hoping for magic. The Republican field is led by two freshman senators: Rand Paul of Kentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida, plus a member of the House and the party's 2012 vice presidential nominee, Paul Ryan.

Three things are immediately striking about the top of the Republican field:
1) It's not only Washington-based, but it's all congressionally based. There is no governor in the top three, no general, no former Cabinet secretary, nobody with any notable private-sector accomplishment.
2) It's light on accomplishment. Ryan has to date been the most productive of the top three, but none of his famous budgets have been passed into law. Paul can cite no legislative accomplishments at all, only a stunt filibuster against the entirely imaginary menace of drone strikes against American citizens on American soil. Rubio has taken a lead role in immigration reform but must make some tough decisions about whether his future is best secured by negotiating a deal or scuttling one. None of the three Republican front-runners has any administrative experience to speak of.
3) It's intensely doctrinaire. Ryan was the author of much of the Republican Party's post-2009 tea party program. Rubio has to date shown himself an undeviating follower of that program. Paul dissents from some aspects of that program but in the direction of even greater extremism.

A party rebuilding from back-to-back presidential defeats has to face the possibility that the problem may be bigger than its candidate, bigger than its campaign tactics. There are a couple of obvious ways to address that possibility:
The party might look for an outsider nominee, a candidate so attractive in his or her own right as to offset the party's own unpopularity. This is what Republicans did by nominating Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 after five consecutive defeats by New Deal Democrats.
Or the party might allow an insider some latitude to edge back toward the political center. This is what Democrats did in 1992 when they nominated a pro-death penalty, pro-welfare reform, pro-free trade governor of Arkansas after losses under the party-line liberals, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis.

In 2016, however, Republicans as yet show no inclination to try either remedy. No independent superstar; no deviation from party line orthodoxy. The one Republican with the highest cross-partisan appeal, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, has been consigned to fourth place.
As the saying goes, the first step toward recovery is to acknowledge the problem.
The problem in 2012 -- as in 2008, as in the near-death experience of 2004, as in the popular vote loss of 2000, as in the loss of 1996, as in the loss of 1992 -- was the GOP's failure to offer an economic program relevant to the problems of middle-class Americans. The party's present three front-runners would not only repeat that failure, but double down on that failure.
The Republican Party desperately needs renewal, its early presidential front-runners are characterized by their rejection of change.
At a time when voters reject generic Republicanism, Republicans themselves are rallying to two of the most generic Republicans in the party -- and a third, Paul, who diverges from generic Republicanism only by offering voters even more of what they most dislike about today's GOP.
The party talks about learning from its mistakes. Thus far, the main thing the party seems to have learned from those mistakes is how to repeat them.

you mean the anti-war stuff is unpopular??? or preserving civil liberties???

NewRightLibertarian
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
That guy's a scumbag who is reviled by his own political party. Who cares what he has to say?

supermario21
04-08-2013, 07:50 PM
That guy's a scumbag who is reviled by his own political party. Who cares what he has to say?

I don't. I just like to occasionally post his stuff, especially when he attacks Rand. He's one of those "thoughtful conservatives."

Brett85
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
So Frum doesn't even like Rubio? You would think that he would be a huge fan of Rubio's foreign policy.

T.hill
04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
What a laugh, no legislative accomplishments? What has Rubio done? Even Paul Ryan? Legislation generally is very hard to pass and most proposals are stuck down anyways. What legislative accomplishments did Obama have after 3 years as a senator, any notable private sector achievements? Rand's been in the Senate for 2 years.

Any who, criticism of his filibuster and recent activity only helps Rand, no matter it be a conservative or liberal critic. As it so happens criticizing Rand at all. for anything, right now seems difficult for anyone. So that's good.

FriedChicken
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Seems a popular thing I've been hearing is how the GOP had their butt handed to them in past couple elections ...
I'd be fine if they did, because if they're going the way of the neocon I WANT them to lose big to learn a lesson.

But c'mon, really? After Bushes two terms did anybody expect the GOP to win in 2008 regardless of who it was? Same to be said for Clinton - everyone knew a repub would win next after his hornyness left office with all the furniture he could fit in the moving van.

On the same note - correct me if I'm but don't most presidents have the upper hand on the second term election?

It seems like a 'petty and you know it' scheme to act like the GOP losing the last presidential election was a big deal and really "meant" something. I love the "Romney was too liberal" talking point, and to an extent its true, but chances are Obama would have won anyway (Ron stood the best chance against him).

Anyways ... the whole idea that Obama winning the last election was crippling to the GOP I think is pretty over blown. However ... if the GOP had won I can honestly say that WOULD have been crippling to the Dems.

Just tired of the spin I guess. I'm not a GOP fan/defender. Just tired of the spin.

Mr.NoSmile
04-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Who cares? People who get their information and opinions from pundits and political writers. Though I found this line interesting:

Ryan has to date been the most productive of the top three, but none of his famous budgets have been passed into law.

Bit of an oxymoron there, isn't it? He's the most productive, but none of his budgets passed. It's the ongoing narrative about Ryan, having gained the visibility through being a former VP candidate, has an edge in this, but that is not the case. Now granted, everyone in the GOP isn't exactly lining up behind Paul or Rubio 100% either, but most would cling to Ryan by virtue of him being a former candidate, even if it is a ridiculous decision. Sure, idea that the GOP is crippled beyond belief may be overblown, but as I've said before, mainstream Americans aren't exactly warming up to a party that's shown itself as hostile to anyone that's not a well-off White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

matt0611
04-09-2013, 06:14 AM
What a laugh, no legislative accomplishments? What has Rubio done? Even Paul Ryan? Legislation generally is very hard to pass and most proposals are stuck down anyways. What legislative accomplishments did Obama have after 3 years as a senator, any notable private sector achievements? Rand's been in the Senate for 2 years.

Any who, criticism of his filibuster and recent activity only helps Rand, no matter it be a conservative or liberal critic. As it so happens criticizing Rand at all. for anything, right now seems difficult for anyone. So that's good.

Exactly my thoughts, since when do "legislative accomplishments" matter?

Damn, Frum is an idiot. I'm surprised he's not in love with Rubio though. Too "right-leaning" for him it seems :D

Frum should just join the Democrat party, I can't think of anything he disagrees with them on.

Chester Copperpot
04-09-2013, 06:17 AM
stopping legislation should be a legislative accomplishment.

ItsTime
04-09-2013, 06:21 AM
So in other words to win the Republicans need to become democrats? That worked out so well when they nominated Mitt...

bbjaylive
04-09-2013, 06:25 AM
you mean the anti-war stuff is unpopular??? or preserving civil liberties???

He obviously means the economic stuff which is true. I don't know why the majority of Americans would accept a budget plan to balance the budget in 5 years after they just rejected one which balanced it in 10. At the end of the day, Americans will support militarism as long as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security isn't threatened. You can call that hypocrisy, but even the GOP does not want to be seen cutting any of those three programs. Besides, people and societies are fickle.

Remember, whilst you might want it to be the case, Frum isn't reviled for his neoconservatism. Romney doubled down on neoconservative idiocy last year. Frum is reviled for his economic views which are more liberal than the average GOPer and even much more liberal than the average Ron Paul libertarian.

FriedChicken
04-09-2013, 06:26 AM
stopping legislation should be a legislative accomplishment.

Well said and good point.

Bastiat's The Law
04-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Frum has zero credibility. Therefore, his invite to be on Bill Maher's show to represent the "republican" side is in the mail.

supermario21
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
He obviously means the economic stuff which is true. I don't know why the majority of Americans would accept a budget plan to balance the budget in 5 years after they just rejected one which balanced it in 10. At the end of the day, Americans will support militarism as long as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security isn't threatened. You can call that hypocrisy, but even the GOP does not want to be seen cutting any of those three programs. Besides, people and societies are fickle.

Remember, whilst you might want it to be the case, Frum isn't reviled for his neoconservatism. Romney doubled down on neoconservative idiocy last year. Frum is reviled for his economic views which are more liberal than the average GOPer and even much more liberal than the average Ron Paul libertarian.

Oh no, I'm totally aware. He's an economic centrist and slight social conservative. He wanted Romney to win so the health care law would survive, no joke...

georgiaboy
04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
thinking his angle might be trying to clear the way for Jeb.

Peace&Freedom
04-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Clearing the way for Jeb is EXACTLY the thrust of the piece. Only it's done in steps, so as not to be too obvious. Since Jeb has not "decided" (very loudly and conspicuously, all over the media) to run, neocons can leave him off the list of candidates they are complaining about. Then as the primary season gets near, they can say "finally, a real experienced candidate" when Jeb announces.